• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Northwest Coast religious resources?

vaguelyhumanoid

I've lived in Seattle my whole life, and always been very sympathetic to and fascinated by the local indigenous cultures. (I likely have substantial native ancestry myself; I just have no way of finding out the specifics because my dad was adopted.) Anybody have recommendations for websites, books etc. about the stories, practices and spiritual worldview of the Northwest Coast (especially Salish) peoples?

Curious George

Veteran Member
I've lived in Seattle my whole life, and always been very sympathetic to and fascinated by the local indigenous cultures. (I likely have substantial native ancestry myself; I just have no way of finding out the specifics because my dad was adopted.) Anybody have recommendations for websites, books etc. about the stories, practices and spiritual worldview of the Northwest Coast (especially Salish) peoples?
Some friends and family go to pow-wows up in that area. I could inquire to locations and dates if you are interested.

Corthos

Great Old One
I've always had a fascination with the local Native American culture/history here too, so I know what you mean! =)

I've been to a few potlatches, and the folks there were really welcoming.=) Maybe check it out if you're curious!

If you want to know about your ancestry, you can have a genetic test done (I think it may be 60$ or so) to find out what genetic markers you have. From what I understand, they can even tell you exactly what tribes match those markers. Pretty cool stuff!