• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

North Korea executes two teenagers for 'evil' crime of watching foreign films

We Never Know

No Slack
That's sad. Crazy dictators. Tell me again how bad we have it here.

"Two teenagers have been executed by firing squad in North Korea for watching and distributing South Korean films. Witnesses were forced to watch as the boys, aged 16 and 17, were killed immediately after being sentenced for the crime on an airfield in Hyesan. While the executions took place in October, information about their killings only emerged last week, and come amid a crackdown on foreign media by Kim Jong-Un's dictatorship.

Another male teenager of similar age was also executed for killing his stepmother - but locals were told the two crimes were "equally evil."

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
That's sad. Crazy dictators. Tell me again how bad we have it here.

Kim Yong Un is likely crazy but you shouldn't underestimate the power of TV. Officially, watching Western TV was forbidden in East Germany, but by the mid-1980's, it was largely tolerated. The mid-1980's saw the widespread use of satellite dishes as well as the beginning of private TV channels in West Germany which at that time mostly broadcasted American films and series (and advertizing). So, on TV, East Germans could see the dreamlands they couldn't go to, as well as the fancy Westprodukte they couldn't buy. A satellite dish is usually visibly mounted on the outside of the house, so if you had one, it would make it obvious that you were watching the class enemy's television. Back in the 1960's, the party would send out the members of the communist youth organization, i.e. children, to "convince" people to take down west-facing TV antennas . (My grandfather had an attic, so he re-installed the antenna under the roof, where it wasn't visible from outside).