• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Norse Paganism and Druidry?

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
So this may be odd sounding, but whatever. I also didn't know if I should put this into the Asatru DIR or the Heathen DIR, I am unsure which is more appropriate. Anyways.

Does anybody know anyone, who combines Norse Paganism, with Druidry? I am wondering because I know Druidry is exclusively a Celtic priest, but I am currently doing a year long apprenticeship as a Druid, and I can't use the Celtic Deities, they just feel right to me. Now, on the flip side, I had an experience that I attributed to Odin, recently. So I have begun delving into Norse mythology, and gathering to work with the Norse Deities. So far I have had amazing results, and I feel really connected to the Norse God's and Goddess' (Although Odin has been very testy since I started honoring him). I don't want to forsake my Druid Path, though, as I have made a commitment. Are these reconcilable?

Any tips, pointers, advice, or even a polite you're ridiculous are all welcome.

Sees

Dragonslayer
These traditions are rather broad - would be a case by case sort of thing. You are likely to find that what people are teaching and expressing as Druidry is even more variable than what you find within the Ásatrú community.

Germanic peoples of various tribes had their own flavor of Druids once upon a time...as well as specialized local or traveling seers, healers, etc.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
The Order of Bards, Ovates, and Druids (OBOD) has a standing rule that it's not so much a religion itself, as a spiritual discipline that is open to anyone of any (or no) religion.

So in that Order, it's entirely possible to be an Asatru Druid.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah, the Druid organizations I'm aware of don't really have any requirements about pantheons. The requirement for it to be celtic was historical, and doesn't characterize modern Druidry. I sympathize with where you're coming from, though; part of my own resistance to identify as Druid stems from the fact that I am not Celtic-based in any shape or flavor whatsoever (that, and I have no official affiliation with any of the organizations). There are those who will whine that if you're not Celtic-based, you can't be an "authentic" Druid. Then again, these same people will usually whine that nobody can be a Druid, because that social caste played a specific role in a culture that no longer exists, so... eh? *shrug*

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
These traditions are rather broad - would be a case by case sort of thing. You are likely to find that what people are teaching and expressing as Druidry is even more variable than what you find within the Ásatrú community.

Germanic peoples of various tribes had their own flavor of Druids once upon a time...as well as specialized local or traveling seers, healers, etc.

I thought so, I saw some similarities from a book on Norse Neolithic Shamanism, there were some similarities.

The Order of Bards, Ovates, and Druids (OBOD) has a standing rule that it's not so much a religion itself, as a spiritual discipline that is open to anyone of any (or no) religion.

So in that Order, it's entirely possible to be an Asatru Druid.

Fair enough, and I should have thought about that off the bat. I am part of the AODA, which has the same stance as OBOD, that it is a spiritual discipline and not a religious path. Now the trouble comes learning both at the same time, while also interconnecting the two.

This is going to be entertaining.

Yeah, the Druid organizations I'm aware of don't really have any requirements about pantheons. The requirement for it to be celtic was historical, and doesn't characterize modern Druidry. I sympathize with where you're coming from, though; part of my own resistance to identify as Druid stems from the fact that I am not Celtic-based in any shape or flavor whatsoever (that, and I have no official affiliation with any of the organizations). There are those who will whine that if you're not Celtic-based, you can't be an "authentic" Druid. Then again, these same people will usually whine that nobody can be a Druid, because that social caste played a specific role in a culture that no longer exists, so... eh? *shrug*

I have been a member of a Druid organization for a few years now, but I am finally sitting down to do the actual course study work. I know that as a modern path it is varied and open, in the religious pursuits of its members, I even hear of Christian Druids, although I think it is kind of silly, I respect them.

I think the hardest part is going to be combining both the Celtic Symbolism, which Druidry is filled with. And some of the Norse symbolism. Although I have already noticed that mistletoe seems to play a part in both cultures.

And yeah, there are always whiners.

Queenspeak

As I understand it, modern Druid organizations such as OBOD, AODA, and the ADF are all open to members of any religious path. I believe the ADF has members who refer to themselves as "Norse Druids".

For those drawn to the spiritual disciplines and the emphasis on Nature spirituality (as well as the training and social benefits) that modern Druidry provides, arguments about historical Druidry and the Germanic equivalents (like skalds and gothi) are rather beside the point.

Those who feel drawn to the Norse pantheon, the Germanic social values, the holidays, and culture are not without recourse. I have successfully, and easily, adapted Druidic rituals and blessings to a Heathen worldview. There are also a lot of commonalities to draw on.

vaguelyhumanoid

ADF lets you follow any Indo-European pantheon. They seem like a really cool organization, and their founder (Isaac Bonewits, RIP) is someone I respect a lot. It's also worth noting that Celtic and Germanic peoples interacted a lot in history, and syncretism between those two paths is pretty grounded and widely accepted.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
ADF lets you follow any Indo-European pantheon. They seem like a really cool organization, and their founder (Isaac Bonewits, RIP) is someone I respect a lot. It's also worth noting that Celtic and Germanic peoples interacted a lot in history, and syncretism between those two paths is pretty grounded and widely accepted.

Since the form of Heathenry I follow is informed most by Anglo-Saxon traditions, there are plenty of Celtic elements in there, as well.

vaguelyhumanoid

I'm interested in both Norse and Anglo-Saxon traditions. I really love the Old English language (seo Ænglisc spræc) but I"m more familiar with Norse heathenry. I've been meaning to start a thread about different regional heathenries but I haven't got around to it yet.