• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Norse and Greek Mythology

lunakilo

Well everyone knows that the Norse were superb shipbuilders! I was meaning more along the lines of traditional science/medicine, etc.
So what do you consider traditional science/medicine?

And why is knowledge of how to bulid good ships and make good swords not relevant?

Klaufi_Wodensson

Vinlandic Warrior
So what do you consider traditional science/medicine?

And why is knowledge of how to bulid good ships and make good swords not relevant?

I never said it wasn't relevant. I meant as in medicine kind of stuff. Surgery, anatomy, etc. The Greeks had no need for the ships that the Norse built. I guess what I'm trying to say is that neither was more knowledgeable per se, but that they were knowledgeable in different things. I prefer the Norse anyways :p

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Both stem from the original PIE mythology/religion, so it's not really that important...though I would say that the Norse stories seem a lot closer to the original myths than Greek mythology does.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Both stem from the original PIE mythology/religion, so it's not really that important...though I would say that the Norse stories seem a lot closer to the original myths than Greek mythology does.

What is the original PIE myth?

Mata

Insert Witty Title Here

This is true. But it's very hard to say how close *any* mythology is to it's original point. Cultures naturally evolve and meld with others. For example, in the Norse Eddas, one can find influences from Christianity, and even Greek myth to some degree, which is to be expected when it comes to the Prose Edda, due to Snorri having a Classical education. So he would've (un)intentually painted some of the more murky aspects of Germanic myth in a way that resembled the mythos he was trained in, as a wealthy noble.

Caveat aside, both Greek and Germanic myth have quite a few things in common, being metaphorical siblings of sorts.

Rhadamanthus

Limenoscopus
I think it is safe to say that the Greek mythology was earlier, perhaps as early as 800 BC or even earlier, while Norse mythology cannot reliably be said to be much older than 3-500 AC.

The worship of Zeus as being dated as far back as 3000BC

Excavating a trench on Mount Lykaion, in an area which ancient Greek historians later called "the ash altar of Zeus," archaeologists found more than 50 drinking vessels, fragments of human and animal figurines, as well as burned sheep and goat bones. All of the artifacts are consistent with cult ceremonies of the Mycenaean people, who settled Greece approximately between 3,000 and 4,000 years ago, historians say.

Crystal lentoid seal of a bull, Late Minoan I or II, ca. 1400 B.C. Diameter 3 cm. Bottom Right: Reverse of Arcadian League silver stater, Zeus Lykaios seated on a throne with an eagle in his left hand. 5th century B.C. Diameter 2 cm

Thunderstrike

I believe all religion stemmed for the same event if you think the story of the ark is factual.never mind the names because everything get changed over time look at the similarities. Noah on his ark the with who ever else was there stand to reason that the first of God lived a long time. Look at The Norse belief Odin with 2 crows consider that crows will sit perched on someones shoulder. Thor fought the serpent of the sea Noah encountered a serpent while on the ark Thor drank an ocean Someone on the ark fell off. The bird gods of Babylon bird on the ark bird will bond with human after a time as will other animals wolves for instance They all speak of giants that had to be fought so imagine that it is factual frost giants in the north lands This is what makes sense to me as at each stop some of Noah's offspring departed the ark how else could the word of god be spread cross the world there were Christians even back then in all lands. Religion was mostly created by man and the bible had to go through the Roman church who can say what was changed and one thing that makes me mad when I was small we were programmed to think Egyptians were white and they weren't I don't think there was a tower of babel either I could go on and on but if you look close enough and ignore what you have perceived all through time it makes sense. Hindu believed in a cosmic egg and a egg of a creature would have to be protected or there wouldn't be one born look at some of the glyphs in Egypt you see a cradle on the heads. They say Egyptians were well stupid but they weren't not until Rome wiped them out and destroyed all their knowledge how is a simple mind gonna mummify someone make surgical instruments also Also Ethiopia was destroyed

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
I believe all religion stemmed for the same event if you think the story of the ark is factual.never mind the names because everything get changed over time look at the similarities. Noah on his ark the with who ever else was there stand to reason that the first of God lived a long time. Look at The Norse belief Odin with 2 crows consider that crows will sit perched on someones shoulder. Thor fought the serpent of the sea Noah encountered a serpent while on the ark Thor drank an ocean Someone on the ark fell off. The bird gods of Babylon bird on the ark bird will bond with human after a time as will other animals wolves for instance They all speak of giants that had to be fought so imagine that it is factual frost giants in the north lands This is what makes sense to me as at each stop some of Noah's offspring departed the ark how else could the word of god be spread cross the world there were Christians even back then in all lands. Religion was mostly created by man and the bible had to go through the Roman church who can say what was changed and one thing that makes me mad when I was small we were programmed to think Egyptians were white and they weren't I don't think there was a tower of babel either I could go on and on but if you look close enough and ignore what you have perceived all through time it makes sense. Hindu believed in a cosmic egg and a egg of a creature would have to be protected or there wouldn't be one born look at some of the glyphs in Egypt you see a cradle on the heads. They say Egyptians were well stupid but they weren't not until Rome wiped them out and destroyed all their knowledge how is a simple mind gonna mummify someone make surgical instruments also Also Ethiopia was destroyed
Kind of beyond the scope of this thread...

EyeofOdin

Neither of them came "first". They both came and evolved and steady paces, actually from an original source, just all proto-Indo-European belief systems and pantheons.

We can see that most of the core gods are present within all pantheons and come from an original PIE god or goddess based on either linguistics or sphere of influence. Jupiter, Zeus, Dyaus Patri and Tyr all comes from the PIE deity Dyew Pahter. Freyr, Freya, Praja Pati and Possibly Aphrodite and Venus (Freya and Freyr are deities of vanaheim, and the word "van" or "vanir" is related to the name "Venus" who was revered as an equivalent to Freya and also as a goddess of love, sex, nature and fertility, just like Freya.) are all at the very least related, as Freyr and Freya are etymological doubles and Praja Pati seems to come from a word that would cognate with the Germanic title "Frawjaz Pet-her".

Thor, Indra and even Hephaestus and Vulcan seem to be related to each other. Indra is interesting in the sense that he's noted to be cognate to greek gods of drink such as Dionysus and also Gods of Thunder such as Thor. Hephaestus, and his Roman counter part Vulcan, were both seen to have a hammer as their major symbol, relating them back to Thor. Also the romans attested that Vulcan means something to the effect of flames, particularly lighting, therefore connecting him back to Indra and Thor.

The point is that all of these religions, whether Greek, Nordic or Vedic, are all just as old as the other, because they come from the same source.