• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nonchristians and the return of Christ.

Skywalker

Many people ask why is it not fair that people who dont hear of Jesus, know of him, or even those brought up in families of other faiths, dont go to heaven. But when Jesus returns they see proof that Jesus and Christianity are real and believe it, and know that their religion whatever it may be is false, does that mean theyve crossed the line and cant be forgiven, because Jesus returns for judgement on the world? Or will they a chance, after seeing with their eyes Jesus is real, to become saved?

At church I was told that when Jesus returns, non christians will feel regret. But dont get that. God wants everybody saved and if what I was implied at church is true (which may not have been what they were really saying-just a guess) how come when everybody sees proof hes real, repenting would be too late?

Also, assuming what I interperted wasnt true, some say many nonChristians wont repent because many will have a strong delusion, which some people is a UFO deception. What are your views on that? If not that, what do you think the strong delusion will be? Thessolonians mentions it.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Many people ask why is it not fair that people who dont hear of Jesus, know of him, or even those brought up in families of other faiths, dont go to heaven. But when Jesus returns they see proof that Jesus and Christianity are real and believe it, and know that their religion whatever it may be is false, does that mean theyve crossed the line and cant be forgiven, because Jesus returns for judgement on the world? Or will they a chance, after seeing with their eyes Jesus is real, to become saved?

At church I was told that when Jesus returns, non christians will feel regret. But dont get that. God wants everybody saved and if what I was implied at church is true (which may not have been what they were really saying-just a guess) how come when everybody sees proof hes real, repenting would be too late?

Also, assuming what I interperted wasnt true, some say many nonChristians wont repent because many will have a strong delusion, which some people is a UFO deception. What are your views on that? If not that, what do you think the strong delusion will be? Thessolonians mentions it.
I think that the obligation to be a Christian or "saved through Christ alone" was an addition by the early church to beef up their numbers. They needed as many Jews and Gentiles to cross from their traditions to become Christians. Many believed in more than one God at that time, so I think it was important that there was a requirement to forget the other Gods and focus on the one. That being said, I do not think that Jesus or God have anything to do with that requirement. There seem to be many paths to God, and I think that Christ is going to judge you for what you do, not what you believe.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
Many people ask why is it not fair that people who dont hear of Jesus, know of him, or even those brought up in families of other faiths, dont go to heaven.
I don't agree with this. Salvation being through Christ alone, doesn't necessarily imply that non-Christians are automatically damned.

But when Jesus returns they see proof that Jesus and Christianity are real and believe it, and know that their religion whatever it may be is false, does that mean theyve crossed the line and cant be forgiven, because Jesus returns for judgement on the world? Or will they a chance, after seeing with their eyes Jesus is real, to become saved?
You cross 'the line' when you explicitly reject Christ and hold on to that rejection until the very end. Whilst there is still breath in your body you can accept Christ. The entire point of this life is to determine the final disposition of your immortal soul; be it aligned with God, or hopelessly and forever entrenched in evil.

Pride and the dislike of the truth is what I feel drives those who will forever reject Christ. The delusion is that we can determine for ourselves what is good and evil, rejecting the moral law of God in favour of our own self-serving moral opinions. The Devil repeats the same lie today as he did in the garden; "You will be as gods, knowing good and evil." God is the moral arbiter of the world, and we will be held by his standard. Many will refuse that, and hence they will never repent because they are hopelessly entrenched in sin.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
As I remember my Catholic education, I would think that repentance is always possible while there is life. Catholics have a service called 'last rights', if such a ceremony can formalise repentance, surely an audience with Jesus would suffice?
So I don't think that such a last minute repentance would be at all incongruous with Christian theology.

Skywalker

I don't agree with this. Salvation being through Christ alone, doesn't necessarily imply that non-Christians are automatically damned.

You cross 'the line' when you explicitly reject Christ and hold on to that rejection until the very end. Whilst there is still breath in your body you can accept Christ. The entire point of this life is to determine the final disposition of your immortal soul; be it aligned with God, or hopelessly and forever entrenched in evil.

Pride and the dislike of the truth is what I feel drives those who will forever reject Christ. The delusion is that we can determine for ourselves what is good and evil, rejecting the moral law of God in favour of our own self-serving moral opinions. The Devil repeats the same lie today as he did in the garden; "You will be as gods, knowing good and evil." God is the moral arbiter of the world, and we will be held by his standard. Many will refuse that, and hence they will never repent because they are hopelessly entrenched in sin.

But why will billions not repent when Jesus returns and they finally see the proof in front of them?

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
But why will billions not repent when Jesus returns and they finally see the proof in front of them?
Don't sit around worrying about the second coming, which speculation is near pointless. Worry instead the personal judgement after your life here on Earth. This is much more immediate. If people are determined to reject God now, not even a face to face encounter with Christ will change that.

Unfortunately, many reject God because, ultimately, they cannot accept their moral obligations to God.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member

God allows people to believe lies ( delusions ) if that is what a person wishes.
Sure, God wants everyone to be saved - 2nd Peter 3:9 - but everyone does Not want to live under God's guidance or direction.
That is why Matthew 20:28 says Jesus' ransom covers MANY and does Not say all.

Please keep in mind the international proclaiming of God's kingdom is being done today on a global scale. - Matthew 24:14; Acts 1:8
People will have No excuse that they have Not had an opportunity to hear what the Bible really teaches.
Even modern technology has made rapid Bible translation possible into people's mother tongue or native languages.

Please also notice the basis for Jesus' judgment according to Matthew 25 vs 31,32, 40.
The humble sheep-like people do good to Jesus' spiritual brothers - those proclaiming God's kingdom message as Jesus did - Luke 4:43
Whereas, the haughty goat-like people reject the message from Jesus' spiritual brothers when it is brought to them.
When that ' time of separation ' begins on earth the humble sheep are placed in a favorable position - Matthew 25:37 - whereas the haughty unrepentant goats will be cut off - Psalm 92:7. Only those judged as humble sheep will continue to live on earth right into Jesus' coming 1000-year governmental rulership over earth. Those ' sheep' will be the foundation of Jesus' millennium-long day of ruling over earth, or over earthly subjects of God's kingdom for a thousand years.- Psalm 72:8, 12-14; 37 vs 11,29; Proverbs 2 vs 21,22; 1st Cor. 15:24.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Don't sit around worrying about the second coming, which speculation is near pointless. Worry instead the personal judgement after your life here on Earth. This is much more immediate. If people are determined to reject God now, not even a face to face encounter with Christ will change that.
Unfortunately, many reject God because, ultimately, they cannot accept their moral obligations to God.

The majority of mankind have lived and died without learning about Jesus.
The price tag or wage that sin pays is: death.
Like father Adam there was No postmortem penalty after death. Adam simply ' returned ' to the dust of the earth - Gen. 3:19
So, death, according to Romans 6:7,23 - frees or acquits a person. Not meaning now innocent but as a governor can pardon a person so the crime charges don't stick. Jesus can pardon a person so the sin charges doesn't stick. So, such a person will be judged on what they do ' after ' they are resurrected. Also, the future tense is used at Acts 24:15 that ' there is going to be ' a resurrection....
Except for those of Revelation 20:6 who have a first or earlier resurrection to heaven, the majority or mankind will have a future healthy earthly resurrection during Jesus' coming 1000-year governmental rulership over earth - Psalm 72:8.

We are to endure to the end - Matthew 24:13 - meaning the end of one's life, or the end of this world of badness.
We are nearing the threshold of the soon coming ' time of separation ' on earth for the living on earth - Matthew 25 vs 31,32.
The living humble sheep-like people can remain alive on earth right into the start of Jesus' millennium-long day of ruling over earth.
Whereas the living haughty goat-like people will sadly face their coming destruction - Psalm 92:7
The ' sheep ' can gain everlasting life on earth - Psalm 37 vs 11,29 - and the ' goats ' face being destroyed forever.
That is why the international preaching and teaching work of Matthew 24:14 is vital today so all have the opportunity to hear and decide.

Awoon

Jesus left his teachings which Christians cant follow or wont. That's why his return is based on the manifestation of the Sons of God. The whole world waits and groans for them. When will they show up?