• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Non-Trinitatians?

Dream Angel

Ok, through my search for my religion as many are doing on this forum. I have come to the following main points/beliefs:-

1) There is a God (well I am 90% sure on this one.... still searching, praying!)
2) Jesus is the Son of God
3) I do not believe in the trinity as I dont think its logical.

My question is basically which are the religions that do not believe in the trinity but still believe that Jesus is the Son of God. If you have a religion which believes in the above points... let me know!

TBH - I think I have found the religion I find to be the truth and which I find logical and understand it. However I was just curious to see if there were any other religions which didnt accept the trinity as I dont know of many!

A

angellous_evangellous

Ok, through my search for my religion as many are doing on this forum. I have come to the following main points/beliefs:-

1) There is a God (well I am 90% sure on this one.... still searching, praying!)
2) Jesus is the Son of God
3) I do not believe in the trinity as I dont think its logical.

My question is basically which are the religions that do not believe in the trinity but still believe that Jesus is the Son of God. If you have a religion which believes in the above points... let me know!

TBH - I think I have found the religion I find to be the truth and which I find logical and understand it. However I was just curious to see if there were any other religions which didnt accept the trinity as I dont know of many!

IMHO, that's not a good reason to reject it. Church doctrine is not the product of logic, otherwise every logical person would accept it, and it would not be a faith but a pragmatic, verifyable system.

Dream Angel

IMHO, that's not a good reason to reject it. Church doctrine is not the product of logic, otherwise every logical person would accept it, and it would not be a faith but a pragmatic, verifyable system.

Thanks for your opinion! Unfortunately it is not up for debate as I have posted this in "Comparative Religion".

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
Jehovahs witnesses believe as you have posted.

Mormons believe there is a God as well as a few others. Jesus is also God in mormonism they just don't accept the trinity.

Zephyr

Moved on
I have some friends who are Arians, and although I don't know a whole lot about they're beliefs, it seems pretty similar to what you laid out there. Might be worth checking up on Arianism a bit?

nutshell

as well as a few others[/B]. Jesus is also God in mormonism they just don't accept the trinity.

Correction: It is Church doctrine that there is only one God. You are right - we don't accept the trinity as interpreted by the creeds.

Can you please explain what you meant by "as well as a few others"? Gratzi.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
The trinity concept is understood by very few people.
To rely so strongly on such a concept is I feel more because of the situation arising from not accepting it.
The whole question is about the Belief in One God, and creating an explanation of how that can be true if there are tree persons.

I am Quite happy to accept the trinity as a statement and fact... I am far less than happy with the various explanations.

I believe in One god... In Jesus his Son....and the Holy Ghost
How they are constructed into one and in what way is unimportant to me.

Dream Angel

Jehovahs witnesses believe as you have posted.

Mormons believe there is a God as well as a few others. Jesus is also God in mormonism they just don't accept the trinity.

JWs dont suit me at all! That was the first road I went down. An LDS member can correct me if I am wrong, but from what I thought, LDS dont believe Jesus is God more a divine being? Have I got that right?

Dream Angel

I have some friends who are Arians, and although I don't know a whole lot about they're beliefs, it seems pretty similar to what you laid out there. Might be worth checking up on Arianism a bit?

I have never heard from them - will have a look! Thanks! :D

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
Correction: It is Church doctrine that there is only one God. You are right - we don't accept the trinity as interpreted by the creeds.

Can you please explain what you meant by "as well as a few others"? Gratzi.

1 And then the Lord said: Let us go down. And they went down at the beginning, and they, that is the aGods, borganized and formed the cheavens and the earth.
2 And the earth, after it was formed, was empty and desolate, because they had not formed anything but the earth; and adarkness reigned upon the face of the deep, and the Spirit of the Gods bwas brooding upon the face of the waters.

3 And they (the Gods) said: Let there be light; and there was light.

4 And they (the Gods) comprehended the light, for it was abright; and they divided the light, or caused it to be divided, from the darkness.

5 And the Gods called the light Day, and the darkness they called Night. And it came to pass that from the evening until morning they called anight; and from the morning until the evening they called day; and this was the first, or the beginning, of that which they called day and night.

6 And the Gods also said: Let there be an aexpanse in the midst of the waters, and it shall divide the waters from the waters.

7 And the Gods ordered the expanse, so that it divided the waters which were under the expanse from the waters which were above the expanse; and it was so, even as they ordered.

8 And the Gods called the expanse, Heaven. And it came to pass that it was from evening until morning that they called night; and it came to pass that it was from morning until evening that they called day; and this was the second atime that they called night and day.

9 And the Gods ordered, saying: Let the awaters under the heaven be gathered together unto bone place, and let the earth come up dry; and it was so as they ordered;

10 And the Gods pronounced the dry land, Earth; and the gathering together of the waters, pronounced they, aGreat Waters; and the Gods saw that they were obeyed.

11 And the Gods said: Let us prepare the earth to bring forth agrass; the herb yielding seed; the fruit tree yielding fruit, after his kind, whose seed in itself yieldeth its own likeness upon the earth; and it was so, even as they ordered.

12 And the Gods organized the aearth to bring forth grass from its own seed, and the herb to bring forth herb from its own seed, yielding seed after his kind; and the earth to bring forth the tree from its own seed, yielding fruit, whose seed could only bring forth the same in itself, after his kind; and the Gods saw that they were obeyed.

A bit misleading to say that you believe that there is one God don't you think, or are these scriptures of yours mistranslated?

20 Then shall they be gods, because they have no end; therefore shall they be from aeverlasting to everlasting, because they continue; then shall they be above all, because all things are subject unto them. Then shall they be bgods, because they have call power, and the angels are subject unto them.

nutshell

1 And then the Lord said: Let us go down. And they went down at the beginning, and they, that is the aGods, borganized and formed the cheavens and the earth.
2 And the earth, after it was formed, was empty and desolate, because they had not formed anything but the earth; and adarkness reigned upon the face of the deep, and the Spirit of the Gods bwas brooding upon the face of the waters.

3 And they (the Gods) said: Let there be light; and there was light.

4 And they (the Gods) comprehended the light, for it was abright; and they divided the light, or caused it to be divided, from the darkness.

5 And the Gods called the light Day, and the darkness they called Night. And it came to pass that from the evening until morning they called anight; and from the morning until the evening they called day; and this was the first, or the beginning, of that which they called day and night.

6 And the Gods also said: Let there be an aexpanse in the midst of the waters, and it shall divide the waters from the waters.

7 And the Gods ordered the expanse, so that it divided the waters which were under the expanse from the waters which were above the expanse; and it was so, even as they ordered.

8 And the Gods called the expanse, Heaven. And it came to pass that it was from evening until morning that they called night; and it came to pass that it was from morning until evening that they called day; and this was the second atime that they called night and day.

9 And the Gods ordered, saying: Let the awaters under the heaven be gathered together unto bone place, and let the earth come up dry; and it was so as they ordered;

10 And the Gods pronounced the dry land, Earth; and the gathering together of the waters, pronounced they, aGreat Waters; and the Gods saw that they were obeyed.

11 And the Gods said: Let us prepare the earth to bring forth agrass; the herb yielding seed; the fruit tree yielding fruit, after his kind, whose seed in itself yieldeth its own likeness upon the earth; and it was so, even as they ordered.

12 And the Gods organized the aearth to bring forth grass from its own seed, and the herb to bring forth herb from its own seed, yielding seed after his kind; and the earth to bring forth the tree from its own seed, yielding fruit, whose seed could only bring forth the same in itself, after his kind; and the Gods saw that they were obeyed.

A bit misleading to say that you believe that there is one God don't you think, or are these scriptures of yours mistranslated?

20 Then shall they be gods, because they have no end; therefore shall they be from aeverlasting to everlasting, because they continue; then shall they be above all, because all things are subject unto them. Then shall they be bgods, because they have call power, and the angels are subject unto them.

I believe there is one God and He delegated the creation to Jesus Christ - hence, the plural.

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
I believe there is one God and He delegated the creation to Jesus Christ - hence, the plural.

It can only be plural if they are both Gods as it refers to them as plural Gods.

Are you saying that you do not believe Jesus Christ is God eternal?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
JWs dont suit me at all! That was the first road I went down. An LDS member can correct me if I am wrong, but from what I thought, LDS dont believe Jesus is God more a divine being? Have I got that right?
We believe that Jesus Christ is divine. I don't know how it would be possible for someone to be divine and not be God. But we definitely don't believe that He and His Father are different manifestations of the same divine being. They are as distinct as any father and son, and they have a literal Father/Son relationship. You might think of them as sharing a single title, and that title being "God." They both have this title because of their unity of will and purpose. It's kind of as if "God" were a collective noun, like "team" or "partnership." Regardless of how many people make up the team, it is a collective group of individuals focused on one goal. The people on the team are physically distinct from each other, but if the team is successful, they are working "as one." The difference between "God" and a "team" is in degree of unity. The members of the Godhead (the Father, Son and Holy Ghost) have a perfect, absolute unity, a "oneness" that is beyond our ability to comprehend. Incidentally, the word "God" is a synonym for "Godhead," and "Godhead" definitely is a collective noun. One more thing... Jesus Christ, while being equal to His Father in terms of His spiritual attributes (all of the qualities which make Him divine), is subordinate to His Father in rank. As He says Himself in the Bible, "The Father is greater than the Son." Just to clarify, though, when we LDS speak of "God," we are almost always speaking of God the Father.