• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Non-Muslims in Mecca

Marble

Rolling Marble
Everyone can visit the Vatican, everyone can visit Lasha, most Hindu temples are open for non-Hindus.
So why are non-Muslims not allowed to enter Mecca?

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I've wondered the same thing, to be honest. I wonder why?

From the little I understand, it's not an Islamic thing, rather a Saudi thing. We've learned over time that the two are not synonymous.

freethinker44

I've always wondered how you prove that you're Muslim.

I was going to ask that too. Is there a blood test or something that proves religion now? How difficult is it to simply claim whichever religion you want? Actually, now that I know I am not welcome there, I really want to go there.

Pastek

Sunni muslim
I was going to ask that too. Is there a blood test or something that proves religion now? How difficult is it to simply claim whichever religion you want? Actually, now that I know I am not welcome there, I really want to go there.

Don't come like that then :D

touriste_480-268.jpg

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I've wondered the same thing, to be honest. I wonder why?

From the little I understand, it's not an Islamic thing, rather a Saudi thing. We've learned over time that the two are not synonymous.

Any idea if it's a new thing?
After all, the founder of Sikhism, Gurū Nānak Dev, visited Mecca, but was born a Hindu. :confused:

Marco19

Researcher
Everyone can visit the Vatican, everyone can visit Lasha, most Hindu temples are open for non-Hindus.
So why are non-Muslims not allowed to enter Mecca?

It goes back to the very early period, when Muslims kicked out all Pagens, Jews, and Christians. therefore Mecca and Medina are not permited, but in KSA for instance in many other cities you may find many non muslims are working.
but again they are not allowed to build any temples.

in Quran says:
O you who have believed, indeed the polytheists are unclean, so let them not approach al-Masjid al-Haram after this, their [final] year. And if you fear privation, Allah will enrich you from His bounty if He wills. Indeed, Allah is Knowing and Wise.

Marco19

Researcher
Any idea if it's a new thing?
After all, the founder of Sikhism, Gurū Nānak Dev, visited Mecca, but was born a Hindu. :confused:

That was one of many cases i wondered how non Muslim did so...

for instance, according to Ahmaddiya community, Guru Nanak visited Mecca as a Muslim, and the people knew Him as a Sheikh. (even He was wearing a cloth including some Quranic verses).

robo

It goes back to the very early period, when Muslims kicked out all Pagens, Jews, and Christians. therefore Mecca and Medina are not permited, but in KSA for instance in many other cities you may find many non muslims are working.
but again they are not allowed to build any temples.

in Quran says:

O you who have believed, indeed the polytheists are unclean, so let them not approach al-Masjid al-Haram after this, their [final] year. And if you fear privation, Allah will enrich you from His bounty if He wills ...

Well, Sir! You have to look into the coooooooooonnnnnteext of when this heart-warming verse was revealed, you see. This is not applicable at all times.

The beautiful verses 9:5, 9:28 [above], 9:29 are all actually benevolent verses that depend on cooooooooooooonnnnnnnnteeext...

As ssainhu correctly pointed out in post #2, if it appears that Saudi Arabia is intolerant BUT Saudi Arbians are just doing what the Quran asks them to do, then, we non-Muslims should learn to contextualize the verse and eventually reach the conclusion she alludes to:

ssainhu said:

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
in Quran says:

Quote:
O you who have believed, indeed the polytheists are unclean, so let them not approach al-Masjid al-Haram after this, their [final] year. And if you fear privation, Allah will enrich you from His bounty if He wills. Indeed, Allah is Knowing and Wise. :
They should not be allowed to enter only al-Masjid al-haram,but not to Mecca as a city,
Any one who enter the the mosque should be chaste,pure and clean as body and spirit,
so they are forbidden not because of their religion,but because they will not follow
the order of god to enter the masjid (mosque) similar to muslims who are ordered to be pure and clean.

After all that place is for worship,so no one will be interested to enter except muslims,
Sounds logic, i don't see any problem on this point.

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
They should not be allowed to enter only al-Masjid al-haram,but not to Mecca as a city,
Any one who enter the the mosque should be chaste,pure and clean as body and spirit,
so they are forbidden not because of their religion,but because they will not follow
the order of god to enter the masjid (mosque) similar to muslims who are ordered to be pure and clean.

After all that place is for worship,so no one will be interested to enter except muslims,

Non-Muslims can't make ablution? They can't wash their faces, hands, feet, etc.?

To me this sounds like some political reason that is severely outdated. One would think that if Muslims want to invite others into the faith theyd invite them into the most holy place.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Plain and simple. Double standards.
It is a double standard if and only if those barring access are claiming access rights to comparable sites of other religions. Unless and until you can point to those folks the only thing "plain and simple" appears to be your understanding of the matter which turns out to be plainly wrong and simply mean-spirited.

robo

It is a double standard if and only if those barring access are claiming access rights to comparable sites of other religions. Unless and until you can point to those folks the only thing "plain and simple" appears to be your understanding of the matter which turns out to be plainly wrong and simply mean-spirited.

You are wrong.

As long as one set of people/society (P1) - broadly identified - practise exclusivism, while another set of people/society (P2)- broadly identified - practise inclusivism - to the point of including people from group P1 to enjoy all rights and privileges in their midst, it is plain and simply double standards. I do not need to identify a specific Abdul or Ahmed in Saudi Arabia.

Nice try.

Mods...can this be moved to the debate/discussion section? Temperatures are going to rise very soon. :D

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
You are wrong.

It would not be the first time. :)

Let's see. Would you claim that in all cases where there are differing standards there is the application of a double standard? So, for example, are we in the US with our male and female restrooms guilty of pertetrating a double standard on the European community with their unisex WCs?

Marco19

Researcher

friend Truth salaam aleykum,
i have no intention to debate, but what do you think about the link?
if you read in arabic it clearly says the entire arabic peninsula
بل لقد جاء الأمر من النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم بإخراج اليهود والنصارى من الجزيرة العربية كلها ، فعن عمر رضي الله عنه قال: سمعت رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم يقول: "لئن عشت إن شاء الله لأخرجن اليهود والنصارى من جزيرة العرب حتى لا أدع فيها إلا مسلماً " .[ رواه مسلم]. وأوصى أمته بقوله: " أخرجوا المشركين من جزيرة العرب " .[ متفق عليه]. والكافر إذا وقعت منه العبادات على النحو المأمور به المسلم لا يصح منه لأنه يفتقد شرطاً أساسياً في الصحة وهو الإسلام.

it's Hadith and mutafaq aleih... besides, it is a fatwa
so i wonder what do you think about it?

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
friend Truth salaam aleykum,
i have no intention to debate, but what do you think about the link?
if you read in arabic it clearly says the entire arabic peninsula

it's Hadith and mutafaq aleih... besides, it is a fatwa
so i wonder what do you think about it?

Wa alaikum Al Salam,

in Quran says:

Quote:
O you who have believed, indeed the polytheists are unclean, so let them not approach al-Masjid al-Haram after this, their [final] year. And if you fear privation, Allah will enrich you from His bounty if He wills ...

But the Hadith here contradict the quran.

God never asked muslims to expell polytheists from the arabic peninsula,but not to
approach only that very small area of al-Masjid al-Haram.

So which one you want to believe,to expell polytheists from all the arab peninsula,
or as the quran said,just not to approach the mosque.

You can't use hadith to change the meaning of a verse in the quran.