• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Non-Muslims and the Quran

Yeshe Dawa

Lotus Born
:flower2: Hi everyone! Since it's Ramadan I thought it would be neat if all us non-Muslims shared our favorite verses from the Quran. If you don't have one then here's your chance to go read some of it.:) :flower2:

Here's a passage I like:

[Jesus] said, "Indeed, I am the servant of Allah . He has given me the Scripture and made me a prophet. And He has made me blessed wherever I am and has enjoined upon me prayer and zakah as long as I remain alive And [made me] dutiful to my mother, and He has not made me a wretched tyrant. And peace is on me the day I was born and the day I will die and the day I am raised alive." That is Jesus, the son of Mary - the word of truth about which they are in dispute. (19:30-34)

Peace and blessings,
Yeshe
:flower2:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
al-Baqarah 2:291 said:
And slay them wherever you may come upon them, and drive them away from wherever they drove you away - for oppression is even worse than killing. And fight not against them near the Inviolable House of Worship unless they fight against you there first; but if they fight against you, slay them: such shall be the recompense of those who deny the truth.
Muhammad Asad Translation

Bob Dixon

>implying
1:1 In the name of God, the Almighty, the Merciful.1:2 Praise be to God, Lord of the worlds.1:3 The Almighty, the Merciful.1:4 Sovereign of the Day of Judgment.1:5 You alone we serve, and You alone we seek for help.1:6 Guide us to the straight path.1:7 The path of those You have blessed, not of those who have incurred the wrath, nor the misguided.

That's always been my favourite part.
And the tiny Surahs from Chapter 90 or so onwards. They're so beautiful, so... divine.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
al-Imran 3:85 said:
And whoever desires a religion other than Islam, it shall not be accepted from him, and in the hereafter he shall be one of the losers.
Shakir Translation

Yeshe Dawa

Lotus Born
And the tiny Surahs from Chapter 90 or so onwards. They're so beautiful, so... divine.

Hi Bob Dixon!

I see what you mean! I liked this one:

It is the freeing of a slave Or feeding on a day of severe hunger An orphan of near relationship Or a needy person in misery And then being among those who believed and advised one another to patience and advised one another to compassion. Those are the companions of the right. (90:13-18)

Peace and blessings,
Yeshe

Yeshe Dawa

Lotus Born
BTW, if you're Muslim and want to add a verse, you're more than welcome! Didn't mean to be exclusive. Sorry!

Peace and blessings,
Yeshe

Onkara

"But Allah leads astray whom He will and guides whom He will. He is the Almighty, the Wise." - Quran 14.4 Compared Translations of the meaning of the Quran - 14:4

abdulbasith

One verse I find very nice is

Say: "O my Servants who have transgressed against their souls! Despair not of the Mercy of Allah: for Allah forgives all sins: for He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful" - Quran 39:53

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
109_006.gif

6. Lakum deenukum waliya deeni
6. To you be your Way,
And to me mine.
-Surah 109 Yusuf Ali translation

I also love the Al-Fatihah prayer. :yes:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
al Ma'idah 5:33 said:
The punishment of those who wage war against Allah and His Messenger, and strive with might and main for mischief through the land is: execution, or crucifixion, or the cutting off of hands and feet from opposite sides, or exile from the land: that is their disgrace in this world, and a heavy punishment is theirs in the Hereafter;
Hafiz Abdullah Yusuf Ali translation

Many Sages One Truth

"He is Allah the Creator, the Evolver, the Bestower of Forms. To Him belong the Most Beautiful Names: Whatever is in the heavens and on earth doth declare His Praises and Glory: and He is the exalted in Might, the Wise." (Qur'an: 59:24)

"Say: ‘Call upon Allah, or call upon Rahman (Brahman?): by whatever name ye call upon Him, (it is well): for to Him belong the Most Beautiful Names.‘" (Qur'an: 17:110)

Bob Dixon

>implying

"Say: ‘Call upon Allah, or call upon Rahman (Brahman?): by whatever name ye call upon Him, (it is well): for to Him belong the Most Beautiful Names.‘" (Qur'an: 17:110)

Not quite, haha!
"Rahman" is a word that's there because of a faulty translation; it only means "merciful" in Arabic. I don't know why that's there. Just like why the translator would choose "Allah" instead of "God". It bugs me when a foreign word is used in a place where there is a clear translation.
The passage should read, "Say: 'Call upon God or call upon The Merciful, by whatever name you call upon Him, (it is well) for to Him belong the Most Beautiful Names.'"

abdulbasith

"He is Allah the Creator, the Evolver, the Bestower of Forms. To Him belong the Most Beautiful Names: Whatever is in the heavens and on earth doth declare His Praises and Glory: and He is the exalted in Might, the Wise." (Qur'an: 59:24)

Allah has got 99 names, Ar-Rahman is one of them which mean "The Compassionate, The Beneficent"

abdulbasith

Not quite, haha!
"Rahman" is a word that's there because of a faulty translation; it only means "merciful" in Arabic. I don't know why that's there. Just like why the translator would choose "Allah" instead of "God". It bugs me when a foreign word is used in a place where there is a clear translation.
The passage should read, "Say: 'Call upon God or call upon The Merciful, by whatever name you call upon Him, (it is well) for to Him belong the Most Beautiful Names.'"

I think "The Merciful" is actually "Ar-Raheem" which is different from "Ar-Rahman", I think you've mixed them...or have I?:confused:

Bob Dixon

>implying
I think "The Merciful" is actually "Ar-Raheem" which is different from "Ar-Rahman", I think you've mixed them...or have I?:confused:

Ah, perhaps I should've said "Compassionate/Gracious/Benificent".
They both mean a similar thing, though. I just think of the whole "In the name of God, the Compassionate/Gracious/Benificent, the Merciful".

nameless

The Creator
Those who reject our Signs, We shall soon cast into the Fire: as often as their skins are roasted through, We shall change them for fresh skins, that they may taste the penalty: for Allah is Exalted in Power, Wise. (004:056 Yusufali )

Indeed, Allah forgives all sins. Truly, He is Most Forgiving, Most Merciful.
(Surah az-Zumar 39:53)

Landerage

Araknor
78:1 About what are they asking one another?
78:2 About the great news -
78:3 That over which they are in disagreement.
78:4 No! They are going to know.
78:5 Then, no! They are going to know.
78:6 Have We not made the earth a resting place?
I really love the repetition in verses 3 and 4
also i like
80:17 Cursed is man; how disbelieving is he
80:18 From what substance did He create him?
80:19 From a sperm-drop He created him and destined for him
thank you for this lovely thread

heretic

Heretic Knight
"Allah is the Light of the heavens and the earth. The similitude of His light is as a niche wherein is a lamp. The lamp is in a glass. The glass is as it were a shining star. (This lamp is) kindled from a blessed tree, an olive neither of the East nor of the West, whose oil would almost glow forth (of itself) though no fire touched it. Light upon light. Allah guideth unto His light whom He will. And Allah speaketh to mankind in allegories, for Allah is Knower of all things."

it's beautiful