• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Non-literal interpretations of the Bible

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Background:
Sola Scriptura, the doctrine that says the Bible is the one, literal, inerrant source of all religious truth, didn't exist in the early Christian church. It was a Protestant invention in the 1500s. Catholicism and Eastern Orthodoxy do not subscribe to this idea. I greatly admire the apophatic mystic theology of the early Eastern Orthodox church, which owes to mystic experience and not Biblical text.
This is a misrepresentation:

- sola scriptura doesn't necessarily imply literalism.
- the Catholic Church subscribes to prima scriptura, which entails holding up the Bible as an authority just as much as the sola scriptura Protestants, but also holding up Holy Tradition in a similar way.

ukok102nak

~;> as no one could define the spiritual world as exactly as it is​
so the bible say something like this
that somehow it is literally described as a material thing but behind it there is something spiritual
:read: (as it is written)
2 Chronicles 13:5
Ought you not to know that the Lord, the God of Israel, gave the kingdom over Israel to David forever, even to him and to his sons by a covenant of salt?

Luke 9:25
For what does it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses or forfeits his own self?
26 For whoever will be ashamed of me and of my words, of him will the Son of Man be ashamed, when he comes in his glory, and the glory of the Father, and of the holy angels.
27 But I tell you the truth: There are some of those who stand here, who will in no way taste of death, until they see the Kingdom of God."

also
here is one of many sample of a literally physical material things that is created by god
as it is written
:read:
Proverbs 8:26
while as yet he had not made the earth, nor the fields, nor the beginning of the dust of the world.

as we compair it to a scientific findings
:read: (so as it is written)

250px-Porous_chondriteIDP.jpg

Porous chondrite interplanetary dust particle.

Cosmic dust is dust which exists in outer space. Most cosmic dust particles are between a few molecules to 0.1 µm in size. A smaller fraction of all dust in space consists of larger refractory minerals that condensed as matter left the stars. It is called "stardust" and is included in a separate section below. The dust density falling to Earth is approximately 10−6/m3 with each grain having a mass between 10−16kg and 10−4 kg.

Cosmic dust can be further distinguished by its astronomical location: intergalactic dust, interstellar dust, interplanetary dust (such as in the zodiacal cloud) and circumplanetary dust (such as in a planetary ring). In the Solar System, interplanetary dust causes thezodiacal light. Sources of Solar System dust includecomet dust, asteroidal dust, dust from the Kuiper belt, and interstellar dust passing through the Solar System. The terminology has no specific application for describing materials found on the planet Earth except for dust that has demonstrably fallen to Earth. By one estimate, as much as 40,000 tons of cosmic dust reaches the Earth's surface every year. In October 2011, scientists reported that cosmic dust contains complex organic matter (amorphous organic solids with a mixed aromaticaliphatic structure) that could be created naturally, and rapidly, by stars.

On August 14, 2014, scientists announced the collection of possible interstellar dust particles from the Stardust spacecraft since returning to Earth in 2006.

thats why
christjesus told this things during that time
so as it is written
John 3:31
He who comes from above is above all. He who is from the Earth belongs to the Earth, and speaks of the Earth. He who comes from heaven is above all.
32 What he has seen and heard, of that he testifies; and no one receives his witness.
33 He who has received his witness has set his seal to this, that God is true.
34 For he whom God has sent speaks the words of God; for he gives the Spirit without measure.
35 The Father loves the Son, and has given all things into his hand.
36 One who believes in the Son has eternal life, but one who disobeys the Son won't see life, but the wrath of God remains on him."

:ty:

godbless
unto all always

Seeing the intolerance and hate by Christians in my newsfeed every day, from anti-trans protests to this: http://www.rawstory.com/2016/06/geo...h-at-christian-gathering-let-his-days-be-few/ , I started thinking that a lot of intolerance could be eliminated by a non-literal interpretation of the Bible. This thread is for those of you who practice that to some extent.

Background:
Sola Scriptura, the doctrine that says the Bible is the one, literal, inerrant source of all religious truth, didn't exist in the early Christian church. It was a Protestant invention in the 1500s. Catholicism and Eastern Orthodoxy do not subscribe to this idea. I greatly admire the apophatic mystic theology of the early Eastern Orthodox church, which owes to mystic experience and not Biblical text.

Sola Scriptura is responsible for science denial, for example the refusal to see the Genesis account of creation as the creation myth that it is, replete with borrowings from Sumerian myth, and just like any other creation myth around the world. Sola Scriptura leads to intolerance against women, gays, and nonbelievers because it refuses to see the Bible as a collection of writings, quite literally written by men who were products of a violent, patriarchal culture, time, and place.

To fully appreciate the Bible, it needs to be contextualized as the mythologized history that it is, and understood anthropologically. When we do this, many of the negatives fall away. Some may say "If you do that, it's not Christianity any more!". No, it's not Christianity as YOU know it, but it is a Christianity. The idea that salvation depends on "correct" belief is a relatively modern one.

Question:
For those of you who do not interpret the Bible literally, how do you interpret it? What shifts in understanding does that produce? How does that change the religion and its message for you? How does the symbolism of the Bible reveal truths to you? Does your practice change the way you relate to others?

Please no preaching about the "only" true Christianity. Thanks.

Milton Platt

When you say this,

"To fully appreciate the Bible, it needs to be contextualized as the mythologized history that it is, and understood anthropologically."

you make a wide assumption that most of the people in the world disagree with you about.

So don't be too surprised when most Jews and Christians do not want to discuss anything with you concerning this subject.

If is entirely open to personal interpretation, then it seems of little value.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Seeing the intolerance and hate by Christians in my newsfeed every day, from anti-trans protests to this: http://www.rawstory.com/2016/06/geo...h-at-christian-gathering-let-his-days-be-few/ , I started thinking that a lot of intolerance could be eliminated by a non-literal interpretation of the Bible. This thread is for those of you who practice that to some extent.

Background:

Sola Scriptura is responsible for science denial, for example the refusal to see the Genesis account of creation as the creation myth that it is, replete with borrowings from Sumerian myth, and just like any other creation myth around the world. Sola Scriptura leads to intolerance against women, gays, and nonbelievers because it refuses to see the Bible as a collection of writings, quite literally written by men who were products of a violent, patriarchal culture, time, and place.

To fully appreciate the Bible, it needs to be contextualized as the mythologized history that it is, and understood anthropologically. When we do this, many of the negatives fall away. Some may say "If you do that, it's not Christianity any more!". No, it's not Christianity as YOU know it, but it is a Christianity. The idea that salvation depends on "correct" belief is a relatively modern one.

Question:
For those of you who do not interpret the Bible literally, how do you interpret it? What shifts in understanding does that produce? How does that change the religion and its message for you? How does the symbolism of the Bible reveal truths to you? Does your practice change the way you relate to others?

Please no preaching about the "only" true Christianity. Thanks.

We Baha'is accept all Faiths because using symbolic interpretations finds them all to really be one in truth.

Baha'u'llah , Founder of the Bahá'í Faith addresses the issue of literal interpretations in His Book of Certitude which unites both Christian and Muslim as brothers rather than as being in opponent camps.

There is a way of interpreting all the scriptures that would find us all agreeing and in unity. I think the attempt to see divisiveness is mostly egotistical.

Peace, love and harmony are far more important than being 'number one'. I think as people mature we will see more and more moves towards reconciliation and an end to confrontations.

http://www.bahai.org/library/authoritative-texts/bahaullah/kitab-i-iqan/

ukok102nak

:®` as it is written
1 Corinthians 2:9
But as Scripture says: "No eye has seen, no ear has heard, and no mind has imagined the things that God has prepared for those who love him."

godbless
unto all always

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
Just thought that I'd point out about your scripture there, that it could be interpreted for its time, and may have expired.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
:®` as it is written
1 Corinthians 2:9
But as Scripture says: "No eye has seen, no ear has heard, and no mind has imagined the things that God has prepared for those who love him."
Please, please, please don't leave off the conclusion:

1 Corinthians 2:10 these are the things God has revealed to us by his Spirit. NIV

The Christian who is led by the Spirit has the mind of Christ. At least, that's what the last sentence in this chapter tells us.

My inspired belief is that the OT and the NT are blogs of man searching for God. There are bound to be all sorts of inaccuracies as well as spot on insights. After all the scriptures never claim to be perfect nor do they claim to be the Word of God. They were never meant to be taken literally, but they were intended to help us grow.

ukok102nak

Please, please, please don't leave off the conclusion:

1 Corinthians 2:10 these are the things God has revealed to us by his Spirit. NIV

The Christian who is led by the Spirit has the mind of Christ. At least, that's what the last sentence in this chapter tells us.

My inspired belief is that the OT and the NT are blogs of man searching for God. There are bound to be all sorts of inaccuracies as well as spot on insights. After all the scriptures never claim to be perfect nor do they claim to be the Word of God. They were never meant to be taken literally, but they were intended to help us grow.

:®` so as it is written
Ephesians 3:10
so that now, through the assembly, the many-sided wisdom of Elohim might be known to the principalities and authorities in the heavenlies,
11 according to the everlasting purpose which He made in Messiah יהושע our Master,
12 in whom we have boldness and access, with reliance, through belief in Him.
13 I pray therefore, that you do not lose heart at my pressures on your behalf, which is your esteem.
14 For this reason I bow my knees to the Father of our Master יהושע Messiah,
15 from whom all fatherhoodc in the heavens and earth is named,
16 in order that He might give you, according to the riches of His esteem by power, to be strengthened in the inner man, through His Spirit,
17 that the Messiah might dwell in your heartsd through belief – having become rooted and grounded in love,
18 in order that you might be strengthened to firmly grasp, with all the set-apart ones, what is the width and length and depth and height,
19 to know the love of Messiah which surpasses knowledge, in order that you might be filled to all the completeness of Elohim.
20 And to Him who is able to do exceedingly above what we ask or think, according to the power that is working in us,
21 to Him be esteem in the assembly by Messiah יהושע unto all generations, for ever and ever. Amĕn.

godbless
unto all always