• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Non-literal interpretations of the Bible

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I think the OP was motiviated by a reflection on the way specific Christian groups read the Bible, which is why it ends up focusing on Christianity and not Judaism.
Good point.

How do think your methods (and the rabbinical tradition?) affect your reading of the texts?
I rely on relevant scholarship coming from such diverse fields as archaeology and the study of Near Eastern languages and cultures.

If you are really interested in what I mean by this, buy or borrow the Plaut Commentary or Etz Hayim and spend some time familiarizing yourself with the introductory sections and sample commentary. Two to four hours at a library by a serious person of reasonable intellect will give you a sense of the kind of material many many Jews read on a weekly basis.

Orbit

I'm a planet
What was the premise?
From the OP:
Question:
For those of you who do not interpret the Bible literally, how do you interpret it? What shifts in understanding does that produce? How does that change the religion and its message for you? How does the symbolism of the Bible reveal truths to you? Does your practice change the way you relate to others?

Orbit

I'm a planet
I think the OP was motiviated by a reflection on the way specific Christian groups read the Bible, which is why it ends up focusing on Christianity and not Judaism. But, I don't think Orbit disagrees with your point at all, for what it's worth. Recognizing the Jewish roots of biblical texts is part of reading it in historical or anthropological context. If Orbit (and this also applies to me) focuses more on Christianity it's mostly due to being more familiar with it. That said, the questions the OP asked about interpretation can be given Jewish answers as well, and I would be interested in them from your perspective. I am under the impression that Jewish methods of interpretation tend to be fairly distinct from Christian. How do think your methods (and the rabbinical tradition?) affect your reading of the texts?

edit: excellent cross post! :D
You know this, but I do have a degree in anthropology, and have spent no small amount of time and effort researching Biblical archaeology and the mythologies, cultures and histories of the area. I posted in terms of Christianity because what shows up in my newsfeed literally every day are news stories about Christian fundamentalist intolerance, which are based on literal readings of the Bible, in both the OT and NT. I wanted to know if other Christians have different, more symbolic or historically situated readings of the text. I wasn't hoping to hear dogma from people who think their interpretation is the only, one, true correct interpretation. I was interested in hearing more thoughtful takes (like yours) of interpreting the texts. But it seems that even suggesting the text has more than one possible meaning makes people uncomfortable.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
From the OP:
Question:
For those of you who do not interpret the Bible literally, how do you interpret it? What shifts in understanding does that produce? How does that change the religion and its message for you? How does the symbolism of the Bible reveal truths to you? Does your practice change the way you relate to others?
What constraints do you see to interpretation? Do you see exegesis and eisegesis as equally valid and, if not, what steps should one take to prevent the former from morphing into the latter?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
You know this, but I do have a degree in anthropology, and have spent no small amount of time and effort researching Biblical archaeology and the mythologies, cultures and histories of the area.
Would you mind suggesting the two or three works that you found most relevant/informative?

Orbit

I'm a planet
Would you mind suggesting the two or three works that you found most relevant/informative?
Actually the thing I find most helpful is keeping up with new developments regularly with Biblical Archaeology Review and Archaeology magazine, using the articles as a jumping-off point for further research. It's not a obsession, or my specialty, but it is a lifelong interest and I am fairly well informed. I didn't intend for this to become a "who knows more" contest.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Actually the thing I find most helpful is keeping up with new developments regularly with Biblical Archaeology Review and Archaeology magazine, using the articles as a jumping-off point for further research. It's not a obsession, or my specialty, but it is a lifelong interest and I am fairly well informed. I didn't intend for this to become a "who knows more" contest.
You seemed proud of your degree in archaeology. I just thought that I might learn something. :)

lovemuffin

τὸν ἄρτον τοῦ ἔρωτος
About "literal" and "non-literal" as categories of interpretation:

I've felt for a long time that they are insufficient, and I also agree with the point that approaching the biblical texts as a single entity is problematic. To give an example, both conservative and liberal Christians read moral injunctions against homosexuality "literally". By that, I mean that neither reads the injunction as symbolically or allegorically referring to some other behavior, or as something other than a moral injunction. Sometimes there are disagreements about the definitions of words like arsenokoites, but those arguments are tangential with respect to literalism. Yet, though both the conservative and liberal read the text in its plain sense, one will consider the injunction as binding and as requiring certain social and political commitments, and the other does not. Their reading of the text in context of their religious views does not reduce to a "literal" reading and a "non-literal reading". At least not according to the literal definition of literal ;) Nor do the systematic presuppositions of either actually reduce to a proper or improper exegesis of the set of texts as a whole, or at least I don't think any such conclusion is sustainable. That is mostly because the texts themselves are not systematic. If one begins with an assumption of biblical inerrancy for example, one has already departed from pure exegesis. Nor can exegesis inform as to which texts should be considered authoritative or inspired.

Questions about authority and inspiration (as religious categories), infallible interpreters, cultural context and subtext, an author's motivation for writing and the recipients' reactions to that same writing, all of these are hermeneutically important but don't always easily reduce to implying a strictly "literal" vs strictly "non-literal" mode of interpretation. Even further afield are the possibilities for novel re-interpretations of texts over time, which are important in basically ever religious tradition of which I am aware. To give an obvious example, Christians certainly re-interpreted their sacred texts in taking them as prophecies of Christ. But no less did Greek Christians re-interpret much of the symbolism of the sacrifice in their understanding of the Incarnation.

So that's briefly some objections I have to the literal/non-literal dichotomy. That said, in practice most of the time people roughly know what is being discussed by "literalism". Mostly, I think "literalism" is being used as a kind of synonym for certain fundamentalist tendencies, and that this usage is clear enough. From Orbit's perspective, the debate about "literalism" is really about what she perceives as clear moral and social negatives that arise in part from fundamentalist justifications of their beliefs. Although it's not clear to me that the cultural problems associated with fundamentalism reduce to bad hermeneutics, despite the fundamentalist tendency to argue by citing verses, It does seem reasonable to think that a more nuanced understanding would lead to better outcomes. I think people like first basemen object to this in part because, as Jaywalker also hinted at, they hear "literal" vs. "non-literal" as "true" vs. "false" in the sense that they hear rejecting fundamentalist modes of interpretation as rejecting the religion altogether. I think that is a false dichotomy even just as an historical question. In reality, there have always been many ways in which the texts have been read. No less from a spiritual perspective, it appears that there are other ways of conceptualizing hermeneutical choices that might be useful.

lovemuffin

τὸν ἄρτον τοῦ ἔρωτος
From a religious perspective, I'd also like to suggest that multiple modes (I almost want to say moods) of interpretation can operate simultaneously. Almost like theoretical lenses through which a text is approached, where the choice of lens doesn't preclude the validity of another. For example, here are two common general approaches to interpretation that I think are important in the Christian tradition. (I think I could talk about "symbolic" interpretation and its importance as well but it's a lot more abstract so I'm ignoring it)

1) The "historical" mode

This is the closest to what we normally mean by literal, I think. It's the approach that first understands the text as a sacred history which is intended to convey historically true information about things that have actually happened. The caveat is that history as an academic genre didn't really exist in the ancient world, and so there are of course no attempts at purely objective histories, per se. But perhaps something like the book of Kings can be understood fairly simply as a text of this genre. In any case, when Paul writes to the Corinthians that if Christ has not been raised then their faith is in vain he certainly is approaching his religion in this sort of historical mood, and plenty of ancient commentaries on biblical texts do so as well. And clearly some authors of biblical texts intend to suggest that the stories they are telling are not just true in some symbolic sense but as sacred histories.

It's important to differentiate between the historical mode as its employed by a reader in the present and the aims of an author, however. The historical mode of interpretation tends to assume that the historical accuracy is the most important point of the text. If the text is not historically accurate, than it loses a lot of value from this perspective. That is not the case from the point of view of other modes necessarily. From a modern perspective, I'd also attach to this mode all the anthropological considerations about cultural contexts, the aims of authors, and etc. From that perspective, it's useful to ground any more imaginative readings in some understanding of those factors. Here, it's not so much a question of reading the text as a sacred history but just of reading the text as an historical document.

2) The pedagogical mode

A second approach is one in which the primary motivation in reading is spiritual edification, and that's what I mean by pedagogical. In the 4th century, in the preface to a collection of homilies that give very allegorical readings to the Song of Songs, Gregory of Nyssa (a church father fundamental in the formulation of the dogma of the Trinity) defends his practice of reading in this way, over against "plain" or "historical" readings:

Gregory of Nyssa said:
It seems right to some church leaders, however, to stand by the letter of the Holy Scriptures in all circumstances, and they do not agree that Scripture says anything for our profit by way of enigmas and below-the-surface meanings. For this reason I judge it necessary first of all to defend my practice against those who thus charge us.

In our earnest search for what is profitable in the inspired Scripture (c.f. 2 Tim 3:16) there is nothing to be found that is unsuitable. Therefore, if there is profit even in the text taken for just what it says, we have what is sought right before us. On the other hand, if something is stated in a concealed manner by way of enigmas and below-the-surface meanings, and so is void of profit in the plain sense, such passages we turn over in our minds, just as the Word teaches us in Proverbs, so that we may understand what is said either as a parable or as a dark saying or as a word of the wise or as an enigma.

I think part of what is interesting about his defense is that he seems to arrive at it "by necessity," so to speak. He suggests creative reinterpretation when the plain sense of a passage seems problematic. I think this happens all the time in practice, but it's rarely stated as a desirable hermeneutical principle. But I think it's eminently practical. In a sense, the acceptability of this mode depends first on rejecting certain ideas about infallibility, inerrancy, and authority. That wasn't a problem for Gregory because those ideas didn't really exist in his time. I would argue that the challenge to (especially protestant) fundamentalism is in the way the sola scriptura principles make better interpretations impossible. I like to point out that this mode of interpretation is properly ancient and respectable in Christianity just because it might give more Christians permission to use it.

The 7th century saint Maximus Confessor provides another example:

Maximus Confessor said:
If the Word of God was crucified for us out of weakness and was raised up by the power of God, it is evident that he is always doing and suffering this for us in a spiritual way; because he became all things to all people in order to save all. Well, then, did the holy Apostle while among the weak Corinthians determine that he would know nothing except Jesus Christ, and him crucified. But to the Ephesians who were perfect he writes that God “raised us up with Christ Jesus and seated us with him in the heavens.” He speaks of the reality of the Word of God in a manner which corresponds to each one’s strength. Thus he is crucified for those who are still beginners in the practice of virtue…but he rises and ascends into heaven for those who have completely put off the old self… (Chapters on Knowledge 2.27)

Maximus has the same kind of pedagogical aim. What is important is edification. Maximus however finds a kind of biblical justification for the hermeneutical principle, finding that Paul suggests a similar way of approaching spiritual life. In essence, this mode exchanges the presupposition that the texts must represent an inerrant and immutable collection of truths in order to be valuable with the belief that the texts have a spiritual life which can be profitable (as in 1 Tim) to the reader in ways that are very specific to the needs of that reader.

Kapyong

Disgusted
Gday metis and all,

You gotta remember that Kapyong is a "writer", and I'm quite certain that it's fiction that he specializes in.

But yet you totally failed to address any of the facts I brought up - here or elsewhere.
Instead, you gave us the usual spam - abuses and excuses and propaganda.
Now,
having failed dismally to refute my facts, you are reduced to personally abusive one-liners.

Pathetic.

Kapyong

Kapyong

Disgusted
Gday all,

So your closing "comment" here is to insult the premise of the thread and the people who would post to it? Who is sanitizing the text? Is anyone in this thread acting as an apologist? I don't think so. If you don't like the thread, don't post in it.

Indeed.
He seems far more interested in abusing people than discussing the facts.
Childish.

Kapyong

Orbit

I'm a planet
@Orbit , @lovemufffin , how would you interpret Genesis 1:26,27 and, if different, what do you think it was intended to mean?

Well, I tend to read this verse from a secular, folkloric perspective. The use of the word "Elohim" suggests male and female gods, plural, which makes sense given the archaeological and textual evidence of the polytheism of the early Hebrews, with Asherah and Yahweh as the god and goddess. Historically, this reveals a polytheistic culture, and the creation myth contains cultural assumptions about the nature of the divine. In religious terms, it suggests a mythological explanation for the idea that humans have a divine nature, that they are special, and set apart from the rest of creation. The "in our image" suggests an anthropomorphic conception of a male god and a female goddess, and elevates humans as being earthly images of the divine. I don't really see a deep theological meaning, though I'm sure you could find one. That is my interpretation, by no means the only one, or even the "correct" one.

lovemuffin

τὸν ἄρτον τοῦ ἔρωτος
Well, I tend to read this verse from a secular, folkloric perspective. The use of the word "Elohim" suggests male and female gods, plural, which makes sense given the archaeological and textual evidence of the polytheism of the early Hebrews, with Asherah and Yahweh as the god and goddess. Historically, this reveals a polytheistic culture, and the creation myth contains cultural assumptions about the nature of the divine. In religious terms, it suggests a mythological explanation for the idea that humans have a divine nature, that they are special, and set apart from the rest of creation. The "in our image" suggests an anthropomorphic conception of a male god and a female goddess, and elevates humans as being earthly images of the divine. I don't really see a deep theological meaning, though I'm sure you could find one. That is my interpretation, by no means the only one, or even the "correct" one.

I agree with this.

Anthropologically I think the idea of human dominion over nature is interesting in comparison to other cultures which emphasize a symbiotic relationship with nature instead. Even if it's difficult to demonstrate, it feels like that has consequences in the history of western civilization.

I also think the development over time of the symbolic meaning of being "created in the image of God" is interesting, apart from trying to understand what it meant to the original author or readers. Orbit mentioned it, I'm just reiterating it. I guess if the question is what religious significance the text would have for me, now, then that is the part that I find compelling, albeit in a highly symbolic way mostly disconnected from the historical context.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
You know this, but I do have a degree in anthropology, and have spent no small amount of time and effort researching Biblical archaeology and the mythologies, cultures and histories of the area. I posted in terms of Christianity because what shows up in my newsfeed literally every day are news stories about Christian fundamentalist intolerance, which are based on literal readings of the Bible, in both the OT and NT.

Anthropologically

Seems that us three are kindred spirits as I taught anthropology for 30 years. However, even though my area specialization dealt with Huron and Ojibwe culture, over the years I've done a lot of reading dealing with cross-cultural religious. How's that for a guy who grew up attending a fundamentalist Protestant church whereas I had thoughts of going into the ministry?