• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Non Indian Hinduism

James Field

Has anyone here experienced Hinduism as it is practiced by non-Indian Asians such as Sri Lankan, Nepalese or Malayasian people ? If so, what struck you the most as far as differences are concerned and what was their sampradaya ?

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
I personally haven't, but in my experience, Hinduism in the west is going to be almost always by Indians. I tried my hardest to find any Indonesian Hindu organizations in the US, with no success.

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
I personally haven't, but in my experience, Hinduism in the west is going to be almost always by Indians. I tried my hardest to find any Indonesian Hindu organizations in the US, with no success.

I've come across small Nepali Hindu communities but they are integrated into larger Indian temple communities. I've also met a few Gujaratis who first immigrated to parts of Africa and then came to the US. Sorry that's not more useful.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
We do not have much experience with non-Indian Hindus. We understand that their traditions will be different, the difference will be greater if the people have remained apart from us for a longer time, like in Bali or Vietnam. But, they are Hindus, and we accept them as that. We have lots of differences here itself.

James Field

I'm surpised, I thought someone would at least be familiar with Hinduism in Nepal, since its so close to India I figured someone would know some Nepalese people.

ameyAtmA

~ ~
Premium Member
Jai Shri KRshNa !

Today is akshay-trutIyA , one of the 3.5 days of the entire year that are most auspicious muhUrta ~

Here is a NepALI (Nepalese) bhajan "chhuTkA" on Shri KRshNa LilA (KRshNa's early young pastimes on earth in GokuL)
watch

Not to mislead as this being a representative of "Mainstream NepALI Hinduism"
It is a dance-act by devoted performers while devotees sing with utmost devotion, Conchs are blown, bells rung, to bring in auspiciousness

Please note that NepAL was yet another Hindu Vaidic region which is just seperated by political boundaries in the modern times. The language is also a close hybrid of Asamese, GaDhwAli, Braj-bhAshA , GujrAthi and Hindi. None of these is my mother-togue but I understand the bhajan lyrics -- what does that tell us?

Glories of KRshNa reach far and wide -- not as adopted practices, but indegenous.

shri KRshNah: sharaNam mama
bAlam mukundam manasA smarAmI
|| Shri KRshNArpaNapastu ||

Last edited:

ameyAtmA

~ ~
Premium Member
This seems to be a combination of "folk dance" to celebrate the Glories of Lord KRshNa. Culture, tradition dovetailed to [VishNu-]bhakti (devotion to Lord VishNu).

The bhajan singer / narrators say -- "KRshNa leelA bhajo mani" -- Meditate on the glories of Shri KRshNa in your mind. Chant His names -- there is an intermittent cheer of "Hari bol!" "Hari bol Hari bol Hari Bol!"
The dancers (folk local style) -- are the common man celebrating the glories of Shri KRshNa -- because when Lord KRshNa Who is pure Truth and Ananda (happiness) personified, manifests in their heart, the heart is bound to rejoice.

"The Gopis were 16 and KrshNa was 12 (solah sAle gopi nile KRshNa-jilay barah)" They said His melodious transcendental flute notes made them forget the world. Seeing KRshNa's Lotus-like moon-like face made them very glad.

Then another singer explains --- when Radha is not around KRshNa's heart goes "Radhe Radhe" and when She is, He teases Her.

KRshNa brings peace, solace, fearlessness and devotional surrender in the hearts of devotees who are represented here by the "Gopis" Gopis are not girls or women, but pure souls, jIva devoted to the Supreme Lord, paramAtmA.

---
You will find Bhagvat katha discourses, worship of the same deva devatA (Gods, Goddesses) the same sects and subsects in Nepal. The regional folk tradition is a medium of expressing the glories and stories of Ramayana and Mahabharata.

The only difference I can think of is their blending with Buddhism, and a lot of intermingling of Hindu and Buddhist temples. After all, Bauddha Dharma grew as an offshoot from Hindu Dharma. Also, there will be some differences in local beliefs and worship.

Disclaimer : This is intuitive observation to the extent paramAtmA -- Lord of the heart -- provides. I do not know any Nepalese personally.

Kirran

Premium Member
I think that one tends to find more variation within India than between Hindus from different countries. For example, Tamils from Sri Lanka, India and Malaysia are going to have more similar practices than any are to Gujaratis or Bengalís. Exceptions might include ancient offshoots like Bali Hindus.

I think that I've met more Hindus who've spent a generation or two in Africa than Hindus direct from India.