• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Non-existance

gseeker

conflicted constantly
The Bible talks of souls being destroyed in a fiery pit. Does that concept scare you as it does a lot of Christians or are you more like me who thinks being destroyed permanently, the oblivion of existence and awareness, would be a relief? What are your thoughts on the Biblical fiery pit?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I tend to think neither, because the Bible isn't part of my religion and even if it was, I'm not a mythological literalist. I think about the story and the lesson it is intended to teach or the various ways it could be interpreted. :shrug:

In general, this rendition of the Biblical fiery pit is incompatible with my worldview. I do not believe in absolute destruction (or creation) so it is not possible for something to be absolutely destroyed. Things transform and change. And, given my concept of the soul, I already believe souls transform and change just like everything else in the universe. There is neither fear nor relief in that. It just is what it is.

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
I always found the prospect of going to Hell slightly encouraging. If this particular afterlife scenario has merit, then God has two options. He can place you in eternal bliss in Heaven, or he can place you in eternal damnation in Hell. In either case your immortal soul is still preserved. This tells me that God can't destroy souls. If he could, he would likely be rid of the ones he didn't like instead of storing them in a gigantic pain-factory.

The prospect of being something that God can't get rid of makes me very happy indeed.

Skwim

Veteran Member
The Bible talks of souls being destroyed in a fiery pit. Does that concept scare you as it does a lot of Christians or are you more like me who thinks being destroyed permanently, the oblivion of existence and awareness, would be a relief? What are your thoughts on the Biblical fiery pit?
For those who don't adhere to the notions of Christianity why would its fiery pit be of any concern? Are Christians in fear of the wrath of Zeus?

Towards the end of the Christian phase of my spirituality, I had become what's known as a Christian Universalist. While even with them there is diversity of opinion on different things, some of them consider the Lake of Fire a purifying rather than a punitive exercise, the bottom line being not endless torment or annihilation, but salvation, for everyone. While I no longer call myself Christian, I still believe that the Divine is essentially Love, and therefore wouldn't torment or annihilate the objects of His love.

-

Orias

Left Hand Path
I always found the prospect of going to Hell slightly encouraging. If this particular afterlife scenario has merit, then God has two options. He can place you in eternal bliss in Heaven, or he can place you in eternal damnation in Hell. In either case your immortal soul is still preserved. This tells me that God can't destroy souls. If he could, he would likely be rid of the ones he didn't like instead of storing them in a gigantic pain-factory.

The prospect of being something that God can't get rid of makes me very happy indeed.

:clap

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member

Hmmm, I always thought hell was eternal suffering, not eternal nothingness. That concept would be terrifying, if there was a shred of reason supporting it. However, I do not fear this idea of my awareness and existence ending because that is exactly what is going to happen when I die.

gseeker

conflicted constantly
It talks about the lake of fire the last book of the Bible. What's interesting though is that the concept of the Christian heaven and hell isn't really mentioned in the old testament.

Premium Member
That's not interesting at all. The "Old Testament" has nothing to do with Christianity, it is a part of the Jewish religion. The only tie Christianity has with the OT is the misinterpretations and perversions used as the basis for their mythologies.

gseeker

conflicted constantly
Of course they don't see it that way. What do you expect from a religion formed by illiterate peasants? I heard a street preacher today refer to the space program as a mobile tower of Babel.

rusra02

Premium Member

I believe that God "can destroy both soul and body in Gehenna". (Matthew 10:28) No where does the Bible say the soul is immortal and cannot die. To the contrary, the penalty for sin is death or everlasting destruction. (Romans 6:23, 2 Thessalonians 1:9) The lake of fire mentioned in Revelation is symbolic of 'second death', a death from which there will be no resurrection. (Revelation 20:14,15)

I believe that God "can destroy both soul and body in Gehenna". (Matthew 10:28) No where does the Bible say the soul is immortal and cannot die. To the contrary, the penalty for sin is death or everlasting destruction. (Romans 6:23, 2 Thessalonians 1:9) The lake of fire mentioned in Revelation is symbolic of 'second death', a death from which there will be no resurrection. (Revelation 20:14,15)
However, the Bible mentions that the last enemy to be destroyed is death (1 Cor 15:26). Therefore, I suspect that whether death is endless torment or simple annihilation, it isn't permanent since it's abolished.

-

Premium Member
Of course they don't see it that way. What do you expect from a religion formed by illiterate peasants? I heard a street preacher today refer to the space program as a mobile tower of Babel.

Haha, that's sad but kind of funny.