• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

non-eternal families

Aqualung

Tasty
LDS believe families can be families for eternity. Others seems to balk under this doctrine. Out of curiosity (because I never thought of this until I was mormon), what do other religions think will happen to families? Will we just be friends?

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
From my understanding, Christians should believe earthly relationships are ended and we become like angels, without sexes or relatives. We also have to sing God's praises all the time, so there would be no time for families.

Draka

Wonder Woman
In Wicca most believe in reincarnation. A lot also believe that we keep encountering the same spirits over and over again. So, your father in one incarnation may be your brother or sister in another and your best friend in yet another. The "family" isn't with set roles and relations...it's more the spirit incarnations you seem to gravitate to.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Draka said:
In Wicca most believe in reincarnation. A lot also believe that we keep encountering the same spirits over and over again. So, your father in one incarnation may be your brother or sister in another and your best friend in yet another. The "family" isn't with set roles and relations...it's more the spirit incarnations you seem to gravitate to.

From my days of believing in reincarnation, of course, I tend to still believe that 'a group' of spirits will tend to gravitate to meeting each other from incarnation to incarnation, and therefore can well understand the LDS belief in Families being together for eternity.

I pity my wife !:D

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
Halcyon said:
From my understanding, Christians should believe earthly relationships are ended and we become like angels, without sexes or relatives. We also have to sing God's praises all the time, so there would be no time for families.

That's how it's always been explained to me as far as "non-denominational" Christianity goes. Worship and praise God forever and ever and ever and ever ......

...yay?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Halcyon said:
Why don't you think angels have sexes? Frequently, when the Bible mentions an angel, it specifically refers to "it" as "a man." (Hmmm. I forgot... I guess what the Bible says wouldn't make a lot of difference to someone who doesn't accept it, huh? ;) )

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
Katzpur said:
Why don't you think angels have sexes? Frequently, when the Bible mentions an angel, it specifically refers to "it" as "a man." (Hmmm. I forgot... I guess what the Bible says wouldn't make a lot of difference to someone who doesn't accept it, huh? ;) )

Well, it's important when proving a point....

Aside from that, God doesn't have a sex, yet people refer to it as He... but another thing is, if all angels are Hes'... what happens to women?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
gnosis_777 said:
Well, it's important when proving a point....
What I was getting at is that there would be little use in a Muslim trying to prove a point to me, a Christian, by referring to something the Quran says.

Aside from that, God doesn't have a sex, yet people refer to it as He
Well, I'd argue that with you, but I don't want to hijack this thread, and it's definitely off topic!

but another thing is, if all angels are Hes'... what happens to women?
Well, I didn't say all angels are male. I just said that those mentioned in the Bible are described as having the appearance of men. I certainly believe there female angels, too. Maybe you don't believe that angels look like humans at all. I don't know. I was only providing Biblical evidence that they do.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Has anyone ever seen Sylvia Brown? According to her no one becomes an angel. Our spirits move on but angels are a different thing altogether. They are a separate creation of God entirely.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Draka said:
Has anyone ever seen Sylvia Brown? According to her no one becomes an angel. Our spirits move on but angels are a different thing altogether. They are a separate creation of God entirely.
Who is she? And what is the reasoning behind her belief?

NoName

I would say that in this life, your family is the greatest sorce of joy for people. It is also the greatest sorce of growth and development. But once you're in heaven, you're all done growing, and you're standing with an even more supreme source of joy. Your family becomes very small then.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
NoName said:
I would say that in this life, your family is the greatest sorce of joy for people. It is also the greatest sorce of growth and development. But once you're in heaven, you're all done growing, and you're standing with an even more supreme source of joy. Your family becomes very small then.
I see us as being pretty much the same people once we reach heaven as we are here. For that reason, it doesn't make sense to me that something that would be so incredibly important here on earth would suddenly be of little importance in heaven. Since love is (1) eternal and (2) the most divine of all attributes, I see our love for our family members to be never-ending and every bit as intense in the eternities to come as it is now.

Also, I'm curious as to what makes you think that once you're in heaven, you're all done growing. Is that just your opinion or do you base it upon something the Bible or some other sacred writings say?

NoName

Katzpur said:
I see us as being pretty much the same people once we reach heaven as we are here. For that reason, it doesn't make sense to me that something that would be so incredibly important here on earth would suddenly be of little importance in heaven. Since love is (1) eternal and (2) the most divine of all attributes, I see our love for our family members to be never-ending and every bit as intense in the eternities to come as it is now.

Also, I'm curious as to what makes you think that once you're in heaven, you're all done growing. Is that just your opinion or do you base it upon something the Bible or some other sacred writings say?
Well, think of it like this. When I was little, I used to think it was so important to be able to save up a few bucks to buy an action figure. Now, it's really, really important for me to save up quite a few bucks to buy a car. When I'm here on earth, I may find a family really, really important, but once I've grown enough to be in heaven, it just won't be as important anymore.

I don't know where I got this. It's an opinion forumulated probably from a mixture of all the different stuff I've read, heard, and in other ways been exposed to, but I can't pinpoint the one thing that really gave me that opinion. It just seems like we would be done. We've reached our ultimate goal. Plus, once we're in heaven, we'll know god exists and stuff, so how else could we grow?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
NoName said:
When I'm here on earth, I may find a family really, really important, but once I've grown enough to be in heaven, it just won't be as important anymore.
Ah, you just wait and see!

It just seems like we would be done. We've reached our ultimate goal. Plus, once we're in heaven, we'll know god exists and stuff, so how else could we grow?
Well, we could grow to be more like our Father. We'll obviously be a long ways from being like Him when we first enter His presence, but I see continued spiritual growth as essential to our eternal happiness. I know I won't be content to just sit on a cloud playing a harp all day long for eternity!

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
depends on the Nation...
some belived in a form of reincarnation... you simply are reborn untill you decide to stop or accend to Creator.
Some believed in a heaven that was for all intents and purposes like this life, complete with family. No splitting people up.

And every flavor inbetween. :D Personally I'll find out when I get there rather than take a guess.

One of the things I was always ill at ease with the Church in my Mormon days was the idea of "eternal familes" and the fact that you needed to go get a specal ceremony done to "seal" your family for eternity...otherwise, no dice you got broken up and wouldn't be a family anymore.
Never quite made sence to me.
Naturally as a child of a broken home I got told quite often that since I couldn't be sealed to my mother in the temple that our family wasn't going to last (not that we tecnically had a 'family' since my mother didn't have a husband)... better marry a nice mormon man and pay the money to marry in the temple then I can get that eternal family thing... my mom and I could still be friends though.
But that is just my personal experience, I'm sure that it is a source of comfort for the majority of LDS and that mine was an exception rather than the rule. :cool:

wa:do

BruceDLimber

Hi!

The scriptures of the Baha'i Faith say we all go on to the Next Life, which will be far more wonderful than we can even imagine now--let alone describe!

(Those who stray in this life and fail to develop spiritually will initially have handicapped themselves in the Next, just as a fetus that fails to develop is handicapped here and now. This will cause a remoteness from God that will seem a hell in comparison to what the individual could have achieved <nearness to God = Heaven>, but God in His Mercy assists even these people so that they eventually become whole again and achieve nearness to Him.)

No, there is no sex there, that being an attribute of this physical life.

We will know our friends and families then, and be able to interact with them (though I get the impression we're going to have a lot more friends then than we do now!).

Oh--and as to reincarnation, the Baha'i scriptures explicitly reject it, and explain in detail why (this is in the book "Some Answered Questions" for those who may be interested).

Best, :)

Bruce

arthra

Baha'i
Aqualung said:
LDS believe families can be families for eternity. Others seems to balk under this doctrine. Out of curiosity (because I never thought of this until I was mormon), what do other religions think will happen to families? Will we just be friends?

My friend Bruce has already share some aspects of the Baha'i views onthe after-life but I wanted to address more how we see marriage as a spiritual bond that can continue. If God wills the spiritual bond and relationship can continue through the worlds of God:

Baha'is take marriage very seriously, as they believe it is intended to be a spiritual relationship which will last for eternity.

"The true marriage of Baha'is is this, that husband and wife should be united both physically and spiritually, that they may ever improve the spiritual life of each other, and may enjoy everlasting unity throughout all the worlds of God."

It is also a physical relationship and a friendship. A successful marriage should go a long way towards ensuring the health and happiness of husband and wife.

Source:

http://bahai-library.com/introductory/warwick/marriage.html

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
Katzpur said:
Yeah but, they're not men though are they. Humanity has men and women, angels aren't human. Also, you remember when man first set foot on the moon? Sure it was a man who did, but when someone says it they don't mean man as in male they mean man as in humankind.

In the bible, i reckon they use the words man and men to suggest the angels had humanoid form, not necessarily that they were male.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I like the concept of the LDS family.
However apart from the my belief that we return to God when we die, I am not at all sure what form that will take.
It may be, that we will remain wholly spirit in nature, or we may be adsorbed into God.

None of these things effect how we should live our lives on earth, though it might well determine how we perceive what is important,
especially the expectation of a continuing family life.

Terry___________________________
Amen! Truly I say to you: Gather in my name. I am with you.

Lintu

I believe we reincarnate into a random (or maybe not so random) body. Maybe we recognize our family members in different bodies. I don't know, really.