• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Non-Dual: Experiential or Ontological or both?

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
In a mystical experience, the person undergoing it often loses awareness of the subject/object or "I/thou" distinction.

Is this profound realization of "non-duality" in cognition experiential, ontological or both?

In asking this, what I mean to inquire in laymen's terms is whether or not the phenomenon should be understood as a matter of awareness alone (i.e. the individual has lost self-awareness or perception of themselves as a distinct subject but continues to be so in reality) or there is an ontological change actually going on (i.e. the person formerly differentiated becomes undifferentiated, or rather the veil of illusion leading one to perceive a world of dualisms and distinctions is peeled away to expose the true 'non-dual' reality).

And does this (rather academic) and/or question really matter? Is it just a case of ephemeral post-experience doctrinal interpretation that has no bearing on the truth and awesome quality of the actual mystical state itself?

Most Abrahamic mystics, atheist mystics and Dvaita Hindus seem to regard the mystical state as experiential but not necessarily ontological; whereas Advaita Hindus and other non-dualists interpret these spiritual states as being ontological. This is a doctrinal/interpretative difference contingent upon beliefs.

As an example of the former, consider the Catholic mystic Blessed Jan van Ruysbroeck:

"...There follows a third kind of experience, namely, that we feel ourselves to be one with God, for by means of our transformation in God we feel ourselves to be swallowed up in the groundless abyss of our eternal blessedness, in which we can never discover any difference between ourselves and God...

This brightness is so great that the loving contemplative, in his ground wherein he rests, sees and feels nothing but an incomprehensible Light; and through that Simple Nudity which enfolds all things, he finds himself and feels himself to be that same Light by which he sees and nothing else. This resplendence is nothing other than an act of gazing and seeing which has no ground: What we are is what we see, and what we see is what we are, for our mind, our life, and our very being are raised up in a state of oneness and united with the truth that is God himself.

We feel no difference between ourselves and God
, for we have been breathed forth in his love above and beyond ourselves and all orders of being...and in this loving and being loved we always feel a difference and a duality: this is the nature of eternal love. And there we find distinction and otherness between God and ourselves, and find God as an Incomprehensible One exterior to us. There in the mystical experience all is full and overflowing, for the spirit feels itself to be one truth and one richness and one unity with God. Yet here there is an essential tending forward, and therein is an essential distinction between the being of the soul and the Being of God; and this is the highest and finest distinction which we are able to feel...

In this transcendent state the spirit feels in itself the eternal fire of love; and in this fire of love it finds neither beginning nor end, and it feels itself one with this fire of love. The spirit for ever continues to burn in itself, for its love is eternal; and it feels itself ever more and more to be burnt up in love, for it is drawn and transformed into the Unity of God, where the spirit burns in love. If it observes itself, it finds a distinction and an otherness between itself and God; but where it is burnt up it is undifferentiated and without distinction, and therefore it feels nothing but unity; for the flame of the Love of God consumes and devours all that it can enfold in its Self..."

- Blessed Jan Van Ruysbroeck (1294-1381), Flemish Catholic mystic

Last edited:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
From my own minor experience, I would have to say it is both. Primarily the former in the early stages and leaning towards the latter after more experiences. (Once the "ohhh, ahhh" phase is over or lessened.)

Wonderful quote, by the way. I will attest to the authenticity of the experience described. :)

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
In a mystical experience, the person undergoing it often loses awareness of the subject/object or "I/thou" distinction.

Is this profound realization of "non-duality" in cognition experiential, ontological or both?

In asking this, what I mean to inquire in laymen's terms is whether or not the phenomenon should be understood as a matter of awareness alone (i.e. the individual has lost self-awareness or perception of themselves as a distinct subject but continues to be so in reality) or there is an ontological change actually going on (i.e. the person formerly differentiated becomes undifferentiated, or rather the veil of illusion leading one to perceive a world of dualisms and distinctions is peeled away to expose the true 'non-dual' reality).

And does this (rather academic) and/or question really matter? Is it just a case of ephemeral post-experience doctrinal interpretation that has no bearing on the truth and awesome quality of the actual mystical state itself?

Most Abrahamic mystics, atheist mystics and Dvaita Hindus seem to regard the mystical state as experiential but not necessarily ontological; whereas Advaita Hindus and other non-dualists interpret these spiritual states as being ontological. This is a doctrinal/interpretative difference contingent upon beliefs.

As an example of the former, consider the Catholic mystic Blessed Jan van Ruysbroeck:

"...There follows a third kind of experience, namely, that we feel ourselves to be one with God, for by means of our transformation in God we feel ourselves to be swallowed up in the groundless abyss of our eternal blessedness, in which we can never discover any difference between ourselves and God...

This brightness is so great that the loving contemplative, in his ground wherein he rests, sees and feels nothing but an incomprehensible Light; and through that Simple Nudity which enfolds all things, he finds himself and feels himself to be that same Light by which he sees and nothing else. This resplendence is nothing other than an act of gazing and seeing which has no ground: What we are is what we see, and what we see is what we are, for our mind, our life, and our very being are raised up in a state of oneness and united with the truth that is God himself.

, for we have been breathed forth in his love above and beyond ourselves and all orders of being...and in this loving and being loved we always feel a difference and a duality: this is the nature of eternal love. And there we find distinction and otherness between God and ourselves, and find God as an Incomprehensible One exterior to us. There in the mystical experience all is full and overflowing, for the spirit feels itself to be one truth and one richness and one unity with God. Yet here there is an essential tending forward, and therein is an essential distinction between the being of the soul and the Being of God; and this is the highest and finest distinction which we are able to feel...

In this transcendent state the spirit feels in itself the eternal fire of love; and in this fire of love it finds neither beginning nor end, and it feels itself one with this fire of love. The spirit for ever continues to burn in itself, for its love is eternal; and it feels itself ever more and more to be burnt up in love, for it is drawn and transformed into the Unity of God, where the spirit burns in love. If it observes itself, it finds a distinction and an otherness between itself and God; but where it is burnt up it is undifferentiated and without distinction, and therefore it feels nothing but unity; for the flame of the Love of God consumes and devours all that it can enfold in its Self..."

In my opinion, it is a priori knowledge, an understanding per se. Hence the term "enlightened."

Of course, feeling (the realization) follows thought.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Great quote.
What I do not understand is how one ontological essence (say that of Being) can suddenly become two ontological essences (Being and soul). Further if soul is dependent on Being to exist, how can it be said to be a distinct ontological essence. Isn't self-actuated existence the primary feature of any ontological essence? I prefer the alternate idea of one ontological essence with diverse phenomenological modes or manifestations. Bit like energy manifesting as heat, or mass, or motion.

siti

For me its both - but that's because an ontology of "becoming" (a process-based ontology) is fundamentally experiential - that is to say that there really is nothing but experience - the "atoms" of the world are "occasions of experience"...so that when one has an experience of non-duality, what has really happened is that one is experiencing "the world" itself "as it really is" (or at least more closely to "as it really is") - a process - a continual and fundamentally undifferentiated process - and when one is not having such an experience, the normal procedure is to abstract "objects" out of the process and imagine an ontology of "being" (i.e. things that "are").

Does it matter? I'm not sure...I suspect if we (ever) learn to accept that both mystical non-duality experiences and non-mystical differentiated experiences are all part of the process - I mean the process that is "the life of the world" as well as "my" life - as it were - are equally valid, though profoundly different, perceptions of the world, then we might learn to set aside doctrinal reasons for differentiating critically (and dismissively) between them in terms of which kind of experiences really tell us the most "truth".

Perhaps?

Last edited:

Thief

Rogue Theologian

all of that to describe the moment when God became Self aware.....
and then said.....

Let there be light

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Before this mystical state you just babble about God. After this mystical state you know.

siti

Before this mystical state you just babble about God. After this mystical state you know.
Well - perhaps - but more likely we only think we know...we think...we experience (mystically)...we think again and abstract the mystical "moment" as a "slice" of the reality we had babbled about previously and then we babble some more (like I'm doing now) - but the key to true enlightenment I think is to know that we're all babbling - whether or not we have had a mystical experience. And to say "I" know "God" is to differentiate - "knowing" (as opposed to "babbling" unknowingly) is not experiencing - "knowing" in that sense belongs to the differentiated world of dualistic "being" - this and that; me and not-me - experiencing (mystically) belongs to the undifferentiated world - there is no "knowing" "God" - there (not that there is a "there") there is (not that there is any "being") only experiencing...becoming (perhaps).