• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Non-Disabled People: When Can We Be Equal ?

Paranoid Android

Even if a disabled person has the skill to do the job perhaps they're not up to those of the more able or more suitable applicant. Happens all the time to able people vying for a job. It isn't any disability that prevents an individual from getting the job (they have no disability) but something else altogether. An employer is always looking at more than just an applicant's skill when filling a position. But let me ask, are you suggesting that the disabled person be given job preference because of his disability?

Unless you have access to the actual reason behind each such discrimination I'm not buying your claim. What I do know is that there is propensity for people denied anything, be it a job, admittance, or position to blame it on something other than a personal failing, and discrimination is an easy rationalization.

. Are you of African-American descent ?

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Of course disabled people can't do the same as an able person, that's why we are disabled, there can be certain jobs for certain disabled people, but its a lot harder to find because were disabled.

Paranoid Android

Of course disabled people can't do the same as an able person, that's why we are disabled, there can be certain jobs for certain disabled people, but its a lot harder to find because were disabled.

ROFLMAO..Yeah, it's in a circle. " We can't hire you because you are disabled, but everyone has to work. But you can't work, because you're disabled. " We live I n capitalistic countries and everyone wants to benefit from that, but of course we can't benefit. I think the Long Term Plan is looking better all the time.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
ROFLMAO..Yeah, it's in a circle. " We can't hire you because you are disabled, but everyone has to work. But you can't work, because you're disabled. " We live I n capitalistic countries and everyone wants to benefit from that, but of course we can't benefit. I think the Long Term Plan is looking better all the time.
Here in Australia I live like a king on the pension compared to a lot of people throughout the world, I have mental and physical disabilities, so I can't work, but living in a government unit and the pension I get each fortnight is more than enough for me to live on, so I am happy.......and you know it clap your hands.......

Paranoid Android

Nope. You have to answer my question first. :D
Ah.it is interesting that a disabled woman was force to crawl on to a plane. Similarily, many disabled people in wheelchairs were forced out of their wheelchair. Why ? In the U.S.A it was not law to accommodate the disabled. Also, we had to get the Americans with Disabilities Act. How we been discriminated against:

Bullied, intimidated, harassed at work because of a disability, even after you told your employer previously to being hired.
Disadvantaged because of your disability by a company policy
Treated differently because you have a disability. This most wheelchair users notice, that you really don't want to talk to them. Of course, you'll talk to others, but for some strange reason you won't talk to them. Hmm..I wonder what the reason IS ?
Denied promotion or employmeny benefits because of a disability.

Oh, and even with the passing of the A.D.A, some buildings have not been accessed in. That means if your a wheelchair user, that instead of a ramp you find stairs. Stairs you can not have any form of mobility on. So, to YOU, that seems non-discriminatory. To the wheelchair user, it's as impossible to climb as Mount Everest. In fact, Clint Eastwood had to pay no, that's right, no money for denying a woman her the right to stay in cheaper rooms. The only wheel chair accessible room costed $ 225 a night. Other rooms, which she could not use, cost $ 85 dollars a night. Non discriminatory, right ? Would you like to pay $ 225 dollars a night to use a room ? Oh that's right, you can WALK. Boy, what a PRIVLEDGE you guts got. You got jobs, and even the ROOMS are cheaper for you. Well, Hell, I would LOVE it if we didn't have to put up with this B.S . Hell, I would want to keep it the same if we got everything our way. But then, you run and rule the world for YOURSELVES, huh ? I wonder were we get the idea we are being discriminated against comes from ? Probably comes from the large number of cases of utter bull**** we have to put up from YOU people.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I've known some people who, according to psychological tests, have a low IQ. They are still very eager and capable workers, but finding work is especially hard when people decide that you're "slow."
Yes.......... and such folks should be recognised as disabled.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Sir, my disabilities are Multiple Scelrosis, have had a stroke and having Bipolar Disorder. Does this answer your question, Sir ? We want you to change your ATTITUDE and your ACTIONS.
I will not be changing my attitude or actions. I support the UK Equality Act of 2010 which makes any discrimination against folks on the grounds of disability to be unlawful, and actionable.

ATTITUDE- You should cease looking at us as victims. We are people. We do not need nor want your pity. Do I pity people because they can't throw a basketball as good as Michael Jordan ? Do I pity them because they make $ 25,000 dollars a year, instead of the MILLION DOLLARS they Michael Jordan used to make ? That you can walk better than I can is like me having a higher reading score than most people. Do I take pride in ? No. It is simply a fact, and that's that.
The above paragraph is totally presumptious. You have no idea how I think, feel or respond to disability.

ACTION- You must start hiring us. You can not chose not to.....................
OK........... so choose the job you will do for me and the rate of pay.
I need new guttering on my whole left flank wall.
I need to install 2 type F and one type T/F windows on my left flank wall.
I need to paint my left flank wall.
I need to lift flooring and inspect all plates, joists and replace as necessary, with any fungal treatment as required.
I need to replace the house sign on the front elevation and paint the wall.
I need new guttering on my rear elevation wall and paint same wall.
I need new flooring in rear hall, dining room and kitchen.

Choose the job you will do for me. It had better be done to a decent standard. Your quote had better be the most reasonable one. When do you want to start?
If, however, you feel that such work would be difficult for you, given your disabilities, please state the kind of job that you would like where you live now, and please stop insulting me. The chances are that you are not getting offered jobs because you rant at folks before you even know their mindsets. Put it this way, I would be surprised if you could get a job in customer care or service .........with your attitude.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
The goal, is to raise our incomes. Once we do that, we'll be empowered financially. Who knows what we'll do once we reach that goal ? But I know one thing; We'll reach that goal or protest, hold strikes and other social chaos. We'll reach it or die, whichever comes first.
If you haven;'t been offered a job you can't strike.
Please don't expect disabled people to die for your cause.
Are you saying that companies should pay disabled people more than 'able' people? Surely that would go against your 'we don't want to be treated differently' tenet....... yes?

You seem to be shouting at the whole world.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Ah.it is interesting that a disabled woman was force to crawl on to a plane. Similarily, many disabled people in wheelchairs were forced out of their wheelchair. Why ? In the U.S.A it was not law to accommodate the disabled. Also, we had to get the Americans with Disabilities Act. How we been discriminated against:

Bullied, intimidated, harassed at work because of a disability, even after you told your employer previously to being hired.
Disadvantaged because of your disability by a company policy
Treated differently because you have a disability. This most wheelchair users notice, that you really don't want to talk to them. Of course, you'll talk to others, but for some strange reason you won't talk to them. Hmm..I wonder what the reason IS ?
Denied promotion or employmeny benefits because of a disability.

Oh, and even with the passing of the A.D.A, some buildings have not been accessed in. That means if your a wheelchair user, that instead of a ramp you find stairs. Stairs you can not have any form of mobility on. So, to YOU, that seems non-discriminatory. To the wheelchair user, it's as impossible to climb as Mount Everest. In fact, Clint Eastwood had to pay no, that's right, no money for denying a woman her the right to stay in cheaper rooms. The only wheel chair accessible room costed $ 225 a night. Other rooms, which she could not use, cost $ 85 dollars a night. Non discriminatory, right ? Would you like to pay $ 225 dollars a night to use a room ? Oh that's right, you can WALK. Boy, what a PRIVLEDGE you guts got. You got jobs, and even the ROOMS are cheaper for you. Well, Hell, I would LOVE it if we didn't have to put up with this B.S . Hell, I would want to keep it the same if we got everything our way. But then, you run and rule the world for YOURSELVES, huh ? I wonder were we get the idea we are being discriminated against comes from ? Probably comes from the large number of cases of utter bull**** we have to put up from YOU people.
Sorry, but this doesn't even come close to answering my question. You're still on the hook if you want an answer to "What country do you live in ?"

It would also be nice if you could answer my first question, "are you suggesting that the disabled person be given job preference because of his disability?"

Paranoid Android

Are you saying that companies should pay disabled people more than 'able' people? Surely that would go against your 'we don't want to be treated differently' tenet....... yes?

Yes, it would. We get paid the same as able-bodied people.

Paranoid Android

Sorry, but this doesn't even come close to answering my question. You're still on the hook if you want an answer to "What country do you live in ?"

It would also be nice if you could answer my first question, "are you suggesting that the disabled person be given job preference because of his disability?"

No. They should gain there job the same way you do...by going to a lot of job interviews and trying and never, ever giving up.

Paranoid Android

I have a life time of anger. Thank God I don't deal with it xxxxxxxx .

Laika

Premium Member
My knowledge on this is very limited, but I'd just want to add this as it may help further the discussion.:)

The social model of disability is a reaction to the dominant medical model of disability which in itself is a functional analysis of the body as machine to be fixed in order to conform with normative values. The social model of disability identifies systemic barriers, negative attitudes and exclusion by society (purposely or inadvertently) that mean society is the main contributory factor in disabling people. While physical, sensory, intellectual, or psychological variations may cause individual functional limitation or impairments, these do not have to lead to disability unless society fails to take account of and include people regardless of their individual differences. The origins of the approach can be traced to the 1960s; the specific term emerged from the United Kingdom in the 1980s.

The medical model of disability is a sociopolitical model by which illness or disability, being the result of a physical condition intrinsic to the individual (it is part of that individual’s own body), may reduce the individual's quality of life, and cause clear disadvantages to the individual.

The medical model tends to believe that curing or at least managing illness or disability mostly or completely revolves around identifying the illness or disability from an in-depth clinical perspective (in the sense of the scientific understanding undertaken by trained healthcare providers), understanding it, and learning to control and/or alter its course. By extension, the medical model also believes that a "compassionate" or just society invests resources in health care and related services in an attempt to cure disabilities medically, to expand functionality and/or improve functioning, and to allow disabled persons a more "normal" life. The medical profession's responsibility and potential in this area is seen as central.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Even if a disabled person has the skill to do the job perhaps they're not up to those of the more able or more suitable applicant. Happens all the time to able people vying for a job. It isn't any disability that prevents an individual from getting the job (they have no disability) but something else altogether. An employer is always looking at more than just an applicant's skill when filling a position. But let me ask, are you suggesting that the disabled person be given job preference because of his disability?
I am pretty sure what he means is a fair chance. Those with disabilities are not given a fair chance.
Yes.......... and such folks should be recognised as disabled.
But if they want to work, and if they are more than capable of doing the job, why should it matter? Why should they not be viewed as capable? We are talking about a group of people who are able to work, willing to work, and eager to work, but because of social stigmas they have an especially hard time finding employment. Even if they can do the job, the various labels do, in many cases, prevent them from getting the job.
In many jobs, they are just as capable. But being on a cane or wheelchair bound does not bode well for a job seeker. If you can't work wonders in a conversation--and in many cases without giving away that you are a deep thinker by your very nature--you will have a much harder time getting a job. My case worker has told me to mention that I was involved in campus activites, but to be very cautious with disclosing that I was the vice-president of the philosophy club, because that is an immediate indication that I am more than capable of "over thinking" things and will notice things and ask questions. Those things do come naturally to me, but an environment that allows my natural abilities to flourish is a potential red flag to many potential employers. I have read of similar things from other sources, so my case worker is hardly the only one to notice that "thinking differently" is a handicap while trying to find employment.
When I needed a cane, I was told to not use it, because that does reduce my chances of employment. Getting around with a gap in the knee cushioning and without a stable knee is hard to do, but even though I am more than capable of performing most jobs around here, the black stick I used to walk with hurt my chances of finding employment. (I noticed today that I am moving around so much better, and even climbing stairs without pain, and I felt great!) I was in a temporary position. But, my brother, who broke his left femur and shattered the sockets of his pelvis in a truck-wreck years ago, is not so lucky. Even if it hurts him some, he can do any maintenance job around here. He does have his own tools, past experience, and even certification, but the permanent need of a cane lead him to a path of SSI rather than employment. (In an odd way, it was rather amusing when his son wanted to kick someone's *** for making fun of his father for walking with a profound limp; but he is a teen, and my brother has just learned to accept it after a decade of being in such a condition.)
In many cases those with physical disabilities, mental deficiencies, and mental illnesses are more than capable. It is society that is unwilling to give a chance, often unless it is some company who props themselves up as offering jobs to those groups, but, in reality, it is a tax break for them in many cases.