• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Non-denominational or not?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Buttons* said:
...then why not just be UU?

Non-Denom churches..... well, lets just say they ruined most of the respect i have for Christianity

Why not be UU?...good question; there is a lot to admire in UU. I was disappointed by your last statement though, Ashley; obviously you have your reasons for saying what you do (and I am unaware of them).

I consider myself "a follower of Christ", but that doesn't make me a Christian. Again, having said that, there is a lot of Roman Catholicism (and what I know of Orthodoxy) that I can subscribe to; maybe I don't like the constraints of "fences".

The Church of which I am a part does not have a denomination. Many of our members are involved with other Churches, movements. Some consider themselves one denomination or other. I myself am a Nazarene, those brothers in our Church I most often socialize, pray and meditate with, are Rastafari. The diversity of our brothers and sisters provides us with great insight into the hearts of others, and is one of our many blessings. We remain non-denominational so as to show that we welcome diversity.

DeadVegas

Buttons* said:

Non-Denom churches..... well, lets just say they ruined most of the respect i have for Christianity
I do not attend church. Also, forgive my ignorance, but what's UU? :bonk:

LoveNeverFails

Something of a Dreamer...
I kind of look at non-denominational Christianity as just another denomination... I know that's a bit of an oxymoron, but it's how I see it. How about you?

I think the ideal behind non-denominationalism is great. I was raised in it, and believe in it....denominations only divide us, IMO...

But, yes, it has become it's own denomination...simply with the lable of non-denom!:shrug:

Ringer

Jar of Clay

Maybe I'm wrong but from I understand about UU is that it promotes religious pluralism. Why, if you choose to associate your beliefs with Christianity, would you want to become UU when the message of the gospel is in itself non-pluarlistic?

"I am the way the truth and the life. No one. comes to the Father except through me."

What is so distasteful about non-denom Christianity anyway? Seems pretty straight-forward and the least dogmatic to me but maybe because that's the kind of church I attend. ;)

LoveNeverFails

Something of a Dreamer...
Maybe I'm wrong but from I understand about UU is that it promotes religious pluralism. Why, if you choose to associate your beliefs with Christianity, would you want to become UU when the message of the gospel is in itself non-pluarlistic?

"I am the way the truth and the life. No one. comes to the Father except through me."

What is so distasteful about non-denom Christianity anyway? Seems pretty straight-forward and the least dogmatic to me but maybe because that's the kind of church I attend. ;)

Actually in my experience you are right...the whole belief system behind non-denoms is to NOT be dogmatic about certain things...only in preaching the word of God.

However, it has become it's own group. I'm not saying thats bad, but it has...

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd

I was raised in an Anglican church. When I started attending the non denominational church I was 13... needless to say, it didn't last long. The kids my age only wanted to go so they could hang out and get high behind the building.

As for the parents, it was more of a competition to see who attended church the most. It was the social club from hell. The church started selling it's logo and advertising itself... not to mention the priest had recently built a two story house, custom pool, and two new cars. It was a popularity contest that i felt was not only un-dogmatic, but disrespectful and non-biblical.

In my experience, it's not JUST that one church who is like that. Another one, affectionately named "Denton Bible" not only is "non-denom" but speaks against the Catholic church and the people of that church... all the while they're finding the funds to make a new building for themselves. I think it's just crap, honestly. Churches should be trying to see the common unity in Yeshua.

I gotta ask, what's so wrong with a pluralistic system of worship if it's teaching peace, and not to hate another denomination?

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
I am selectivly inter-denominationonal I am happy attending churches of many denominations so long as they believe and teach according to certain core doctrines, such as sola fide, sola scriptura, the trinity, etc.

Ringer

Jar of Clay
I gotta ask, what's so wrong with a pluralistic system of worship if it's teaching peace, and not to hate another denomination?

First off, I'd just say sorry for the bad experiences. Seems crazy that such churches like that exist but apparently they do. Anyway, I don't think there's anything wrong with having a pluralistic system that advocates world peace, educations, etc..

But I just don't see how Buddhist, Muslims, Christians, Athiests, Pagans, and other religions, can worship God in a unified manner. They are all doctrinally different and even though you may have many different denominations within Christianity, at least the core content should be the same (ie. saved by grace through faith). Jesus' teachings about the way to eternal life were exclusivistic.

Jesus might say: You don't get to the Father (eternal life) through Buddha, Mohammed, the many Hindu gods, fertility goddesses, or your own merit. You get it through me.

So I believe that mankind regardless of your belief system can fight for peace, world hunger, AIDS prevention, and other world issues, but I think that's where the line stops and once you step into the realm of religion is when serious questions need to start being asked. Hopefully I touched on the what you were looking for. If not, sorry

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
Nope...

I don't see it like that at all.

Some non-denominational churches are trying to become JUST like the first church. Rather than re-invent, we are trying hard to simply restore.

Ephesians 4:3 Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. 4 There is one body and one Spirit-- just as you were called to one hope when you were called-- 5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism; 6 one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.

Yep...non-denominational means non-denominational. We're just plain old Christians, no additives included. ;)

Snow_Owl

I guess by technical interpetation non-denominational is a denomination in the sense of a category (i.e. "other") you know?

Well anyways I'm personally non-denominational, that is, I don't belong to a former church anymore. I'm looking for a new one on occasion but I havn't found one that I really enjoy, but my search is a long way from done.

Sometimes if you ask me a church being "nondenominational" could be a weasel term used to attract more members but a lot of the churches I attended didn't even have a membership which I was much more comfortable with.

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
Most non-denominational churches that I have ever visited believe basic bible doctrine except they do not wish to answer to a denominational headquarters. All doctrine and rules are made within the church according to their bible belief. Any money they get in offering or tithes stays in the local church and they vote on how the money is to be used. They pay for their own building and utilites, their own maintenance and etc....Where some churches that are in a denomination receive money from their headquarters to help. Also the headquarters in return gets money from the church for missions and etc..... I am not speaking for all of these churches of course, but the local churches that I do know about.....I think some people don't want their church run by someone who doesn't even know the names of the church members....I think it has it's pros and cons...........Also in a denominational church headquarters usually appoint district supervisors, or overseers, who in return appoint a pastor for the churches in their district. In a non-denominational church they would choose a pastor themselves...

BowMasterPK

Ex Catholic Sojourner
I owe no allegiance to a denomination, whether RC, Orthodox or those after the Reformers such as Luther, Calvin and Tyndale.

Tyndale though is one of my favorite Saints and Martyrs :eek:

keithnurse

The word "denomination" is just shorthand that tells you generally what a church believes. Saying a church is "nondenominational" makes it sound like that church has no beliefs, but of course that isn't the case at all. Most "nondenominational" church I know of teach a mixture of Baptist and Pentecostal doctrine. They generally consider baptism and holy communion to be symbols, baptism is "believers baptism" done by immersion, they generally have communion monthly or quarterly, some advocate speaking in tongues or are open to it, all of that makes them Baptist/Pentecostals without the label. I think a more honest term would be "independent church" because that is what they truly are, not affiliated with any larger organization. An example is Calvary Chapel. The local Calvary Chapel where I live is listed as "nondenominational". They are not, they are part of the Calvary Chapel denimination. If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, walks like a duck, it's a duck. These "nondenominational" churches are their own denomination.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
I kind of look at non-denominational Christianity as just another denomination... I know that's a bit of an oxymoron, but it's how I see it. How about you?
pretty much, they're twice as materialistic than any other Christians I know.

keithnurse

Nondenominational just means unaffiliated with any other church, and unorganized outside of the church itself.
The word "independent" is shorter than nondenomintional and easier for many people to spell. I think that is a better term for so called "nondenominational" church because it is more accurate to call themselves independent churches. In terms of a churches teachings, ask any church what they teach about baptism and communion. That gives you a good idea of what theological family they are part of. Do they practice infant baptism? or do they say you need to have reached the age of 9 or 10 or older to be baptized?

pwfaith

I am selectivly inter-denominationonal I am happy attending churches of many denominations so long as they believe and teach according to certain core doctrines, such as sola fide, sola scriptura, the trinity, etc.

We also attend an inter-denominational church. We have attended many denominational churches over the years, but have absolutely fallen in love with this church. I like how they encompass everyone, no matter what your denominational background was before. Rather than rejecting all that is denominational, they encompass them. They embrace the "we are one body" mentality more than any other denomination I've been a part of. Theologically and set up of leadership is similar to non-denominational though.