• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Non-denominational or not?

I kind of look at non-denominational Christianity as just another denomination... I know that's a bit of an oxymoron, but it's how I see it. How about you?

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Nope...

I don't see it like that at all.

Some non-denominational churches are trying to become JUST like the first church. Rather than re-invent, we are trying hard to simply restore.

Ephesians 4:3 Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. 4 There is one body and one Spirit-- just as you were called to one hope when you were called-- 5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism; 6 one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.

It seems to me that all denominations and religions are trying to come as close to the whole Truth as possible, including non-denominationals. All religions seem to have the same common goal and just like the rest of all the religions and denominations, non-denominationals have their way of going about reaching that goal and interpreting it. And that goal is finding the Truth. That's why I don't see it as any different.

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
I see non-denominationalism as an effort to break down the man-made barriers among those who believe that Christ is the Messiah. To this end, some churches even recognize minsters ordained in other denominations. I guess I see it as Christian Unity instead of a different denomination.

CaptainXeroid said:
I see non-denominationalism as an effort to break down the man-made barriers among those who believe that Christ is the Messiah. To this end, some churches even recognize minsters ordained in other denominations. I guess I see it as Christian Unity instead of a different denomination.
Good point, that makes a lot of sense.

Scuba Pete

As a church moves closer to being like the first century church, they get closer to the real truth. The closer they get to that primitive church, the closer they are to real unity with it: "one body and one Spirit". The further churches move away from that simplicity, the less unified they are. They are not in need of feformation... but restoration.

Distracto

Even a non-denominational church is man made according to what best suits its members. Why did they found a new place to worship in the first place? Because all of the others did not suit them.
There is no church on earth that is the real Truth of God, but perhaps some are slightly closer than others.
I need fellowship with other people, and this is why i find church necessary. I believe that God Himself can lead me to live the way He wants me to....Directly.
All i need to do is ask Him to lead me to the Truth, and He will answer me in my heart.
Following the teachings of any single man on a stage is wrong, and this is what i have felt in my heart. Its all i needed to know.

I am sad that people believe that they need the help of another person to reach God.

I believe that they do need someone to help them understand the bible and God, but the problem is that the teacher does not know he can learn from the student too.
This is a slight arrogance that happens when any minister gets on stage and talks to the people.
The people in the church should be every bit involved in the sermon, by asking questions, adding comments, by adding a different point of view, or by admitting of having a different interpretation to the scripture.
God should be discussed by people, not taught as a subject that can be compared to math or social studies.

Distracto said:
Even a non-denominational church is man made according to what best suits its members. Why did they found a new place to worship in the first place? Because all of the others did not suit them.
There is no church on earth that is the real Truth of God, but perhaps some are slightly closer than others.
I need fellowship with other people, and this is why i find church necessary. I believe that God Himself can lead me to live the way He wants me to....Directly.
All i need to do is ask Him to lead me to the Truth, and He will answer me in my heart.
Following the teachings of any single man on a stage is wrong, and this is what i have felt in my heart. Its all i needed to know.

I am sad that people believe that they need the help of another person to reach God.

I believe that they do need someone to help them understand the bible and God, but the problem is that the teacher does not know he can learn from the student too.
This is a slight arrogance that happens when any minister gets on stage and talks to the people.
The people in the church should be every bit involved in the sermon, by asking questions, adding comments, by adding a different point of view, or by admitting of having a different interpretation to the scripture.
God should be discussed by people, not taught as a subject that can be compared to math or social studies.
I totally agree.

Some of the things you said about church and God reminded me of a Quaker meeting.

glasgowchick

Gives Glory to God !!!
NetDoc said:
Nope...

I don't see it like that at all.

Some non-denominational churches are trying to become JUST like the first church. Rather than re-invent, we are trying hard to simply restore.

Ephesians 4:3 Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. 4 There is one body and one Spirit-- just as you were called to one hope when you were called-- 5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism; 6 one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.

Bravo bravo...I have to agree there...100 furbals to you

glasgowchick

Gives Glory to God !!!
NetDoc said:
As a church moves closer to being like the first century church, they get closer to the real truth. The closer they get to that primitive church, the closer they are to real unity with it: "one body and one Spirit". The further churches move away from that simplicity, the less unified they are. They are not in need of feformation... but restoration.

Another wonderful response....more furbals to ya lol!!!!!!!!!!.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
glasgowchick said:
Another wonderful response....more furbals to ya lol!!!!!!!!!!.
Having said that ( and I agree with NetDoc, and you), I think the term 'Non-denominational' is a clever way of attracting followers who are maybe 'scared' of what they regard as 'orthodox' - names do scare people.

I am not saying this is wrong; it is a very good 'tool' to stop people from being 'put off' by a name they may have had bad associations with, in the past.:)

glasgowchick

Gives Glory to God !!!
michel said:
Having said that ( and I agree with NetDoc, and you), I think the term 'Non-denominational' is a clever way of attracting followers who are maybe 'scared' of what they regard as 'orthodox' - names do scare people.

I am not saying this is wrong; it is a very good 'tool' to stop people from being 'put off' by a name they may have had bad associations with, in the past.:)

Hi Good thinking,, furbals to ya michel....

Prima

***MOD POST***

Please keep in mind that this area is for discussion by non-denominational Christians - it is not an outside commentary on non-denominational beliefs!

Scuba Pete

And they have a right to be scared! :D

Denominations and their fight for power (political and religious) have done a tremendous dis-service to us.

Dentonz

Distracto said:

I agree with a lot of what you said. Every person needs to seek out their own salvation through the guidance of the Holy Spirit regardless of what a preacher might tell them. It is our responsibility as maturing christians to eat the berries and spit out the briars. Listen to what is taught, but study for yourself to see if it agrees with the Word or not.
I do believe that there are times and settings for the church to ask questions, give differences of opinion,etc..., like in a Bible study. There are different types of teaching and all have a place. Preaching is telling you like it is and has no need for explanation. Teaching is in depth instruction including plenty of explanation. If you were to allow a free range discussion in church all the time, only the believers would benefit because unbelievers would be confused and not know what to believe.

DeadVegas

SarahBeara said:
I kind of look at non-denominational Christianity as just another denomination... I know that's a bit of an oxymoron, but it's how I see it. How about you?
The reason that I am nondenominational is because I see no point in separating ourselves when, in the end, we are all Christians. Also, most denominations are only divided by minscule facts that have nothing to do with anything in the long run.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
DeadVegas said:
The reason that I am nondenominational is because I see no point in separating ourselves when, in the end, we are all Christians. Also, most denominations are only divided by minscule facts that have nothing to do with anything in the long run.
...then why not just be UU?

Non-Denom churches..... well, lets just say they ruined most of the respect i have for Christianity

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Buttons* said:
...then why not just be UU?

Non-Denom churches..... well, lets just say they ruined most of the respect i have for Christianity

No love for the RC....:(

Squirt

NetDoc said:
They are not in need of reformation... but restoration.
Right, but the only way the primitive Church could be restored would be for the individual who established it to personally be involved. According to Roger Williams, pastor of the oldest Baptist Church in America, "[There is] no regularly constituted church of Christ on earth, nor any person authorized to administer any church ordinance, nor can there be until new apostles are sent by the great Head of the Church, for whose coming I am seeking."