• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"non-denominational" churches

SoliDeoGloria

When I first got saved, I went to a "non-denominational" church or at least so they claimed. When every super charismatic movement hit, they were right on top of it to the point of telling people that didn't agree with them on those issues to leave. Since then I have joined a Southern Baptist church and have seen every other church that claimed to be "non-demoninational to be exactly the same way, just a charismatic/pentecostal church under a different name.

Sincerely,
SoliDeoGloria

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
I almost have to agree with you.

However, the church I go to want's to only follow the Bible, and not any church synods to determine what is truth. Dissent is not only allowed but encouraged and we only call ourselves "Christians". You might say we are somewhay "anti-denominational" in many respects. :D

Studies

I do not judge other christians, they may belong to whatever church they choose too. I also do not put down any person because of the church they are in. To do so I would be
judgeing. I try very hard do unto others as I would have them do onto me. :)

Julian Pyke

I must admit I am Non-Denominational and I am proud of it! But I also admit that there are alot of Non-Denominational churches out there that are not good for you!!!!!!

But, I go to one, that is great. All we do is follow the Bible, none of that other crap (excuse my language) otehr churchs feed you such as, if you aren't in this church you aren't saved. (Yes, I have seen that.)

So, don't assume all non-denominational churches are bad, because, in reality, of all denominations, alot of churchs out there are bad for our spirit.

glasgowchick

Gives Glory to God !!!
hi, our church too is simply christian, I got fed up with " Im a Catholic, Im protestant Im such'n such So I decided to be known as Christian...

macken

People like to wear thier denominaton like a membership too an exclusive club. Belief in Jesus Christ and denying of the flesh and above all love make us all one church without any labels. Its all about Jesus Christ.

Robert

Greetings all,
This is my first post on this site. It is good to see people interested in matters of truth concerning religion. Concerning the Church of today , God's word (the Bible) teaches us that it is the bride of Christ. Consider the following;
"Wherefore , my brethren, ye also were made dead to the law through the body of Christ; that ye should be joined to another, even to him who was raised from the dead, that we might bring forth fruit unto God" (Rom. 7:4). Also "For I am jealous over you with a godly jealousy: for I espoused you to one husband, that I might present you as a pure virgin to Christ" (2 Cor. 11:2).

In these passages the bride evidently means the church. That the bride will remain till the Bridegroom comes there can be no reasonable doubt; that she has ever waited his coming is equally certain. She has been in great distress, being driven into the wilderness and deprived of much of her glory, but she has ever looked for the coming of her espoused. In what condition the Bridegroom will find her is a question about which there has been much speculation. Unless we believe that the Bridegroom, when he comes, will find his bride in dishonor - living in fornication with the world - we may not measure the church by human standards. That the bride will be found wearing the name of the Bridegroom and living in chastity when he comes to claim her, there is not room for reasonable doubt. The world may be deeply defiled by crime, but the church will be arrayed in her robes of righteousness. Hence, while the church may have its impurities, as everything composed of humanity has, it must at least be uncontaminated to the extent of fidelity to Christ. This may cut off much of what the world calls the church, but not what God regards as the church.

This has ever been the case since the apostasy, and will doubtless so continue to the end. In the days of the Apostles, God had a people in Babylon, but while they were in Babylon they were not of Babylon. Hence the Lord says: "Come forth ,my people, out of her, that ye have no fellowship with her sins, and that ye receive not her plagues" (Rev. 18:4). God doubtless has a people in Babylon now; but they and Babylon are two distinct things. God's church is not composed of the Babel of sectarianism. Just who God's people are who may now be in Babylon it is not my purpose to determine. God has revealed to us the things that pertain to his church - the faith, the practice, and the promises - and with these it is my purpose to deal. Here , all is faith and assurance; beyond this , all is opinion and fruitless speculation. Concerning those in Babylon we have but one living direction. "Come forth, my people , out of her." To this we should give faithful heed. For to console people in the Babylon of sectarianism, and to reconcile them to their bondage, we have no divine right; but to deliver them from it is a divine obligation. Therefore God's church is an institution separate and distinct from the Babel of denominationalism.

In determining, then, what the church should be , it will be necessary to ascertain the characteristics of the apostolic church. If the church of the present day be essentially different from the apostolic as a matter of preference, it can not be the church of which God is the author. Hence it can not be a divine institution, neither can it be the virgin bride of Christ. It follows, therefore, that the church must possess the following characteristics;
(1). It must be a Divine Institution
(2) It must be governed wholly by Divine Authority.
(3) It should have only the names it had at the beginning.
(4) It must have the Form of Government given to the Church in the beginning.
(5) It has the Unity of the Church of the New Testament.

Perhaps we can discuss these matters further and more in depth. I appreciate your interest and patiences. I am looking forward to your input.
Peace in Christ
Robert

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
Is the church of Christ considered non-deminational? I've always attended the church of Christ, and I know we don't consider ourselves a denomination, and we try to follow the Bible exactly. I remember when I was young, my friends would sometimes talk about their denomination. "I'm Baptist," some would say. "I'm Catholic," I would hear from others. I even heard agnostic once. When they would ask me, I would say "Christian," and they would say, "No, what kind of church? Like Baptist or Presbyterian?"

My friends would always think my church weird because we never used instruments, and didn't host big festivals and parties like the local baptist church did. But the truth is, denominations are evil and they cause problems. To many denominations have drifted away from the actual Bible because they are to busy hosting Easter Egg Hunt, volleyball games and "Wild Beast Feasts".

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
Christiangirl0909 said:
Is the church of Christ considered non-deminational? I've always attended the church of Christ, and I know we don't consider ourselves a denomination, and we try to follow the Bible exactly. I remember when I was young, my friends would sometimes talk about their denomination. "I'm Baptist," some would say. "I'm Catholic," I would hear from others. I even heard agnostic once. When they would ask me, I would say "Christian," and they would say, "No, what kind of church? Like Baptist or Presbyterian?"

My friends would always think my church weird because we never used instruments, and didn't host big festivals and parties like the local baptist church did. But the truth is, denominations are evil and they cause problems. To many denominations have drifted away from the actual Bible because they are to busy hosting Easter Egg Hunt, volleyball games and "Wild Beast Feasts".
Yes it is a denomination, because you will interpret the bible one way, and the other denominations will interpret it another. You say you follow the bible exactly, but so do all the other denominations - everybody can't be right, or can they?

Melody

Christiangirl0909 said:

Yes, the Church of Christ is a denomination with its own set of beliefs. Denominations aren't evil. They're just a reflection of the various belief systems.

I would say at this point in time, I am non-denominational because I do not belong to any church. Mainly because I haven't found one yet that I agree completely with on their theology.

Just because a church has an easter egg hunt, volleyball teams or "wild beast feasts", it doesn't mean they are somehow inferior to other churches. In many cases, these are activities designed to bring the church members together for social interaction. In others, such as the wild beast feast, the activity is used to raise money for the missionary fund or other church program.

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
How wonderfully "Christian" of you.
Thank you. We are commanded to always tell the truth, are we not?

Denominations do cause problems. They cause problems in marriages, the cause problems among friends, etc. Jesus Christ intended for us to have one church, meaning only one denomination. We are instructed to follow his teachings exactly, or at least strive to follow his teaching exactly. The Roman Catholics include plenty of things in their service which are not in the Bible, and not instituted by Christ. When I get home, I can list a few (it's all in a book I recently obrtained called Traditions of Men vs. The Word of God.

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
Just because a church has an easter egg hunt, volleyball teams or "wild beast feasts", it doesn't mean they are somehow inferior to other churches. In many cases, these are activities designed to bring the church members together for social interaction. In others, such as the wild beast feast, the activity is used to raise money for the missionary fund or other church program.
I did not make myself clear enough. It is unbiblical for the Church to pay for these activities using money from the church treasury. It is alright to have these activities if they are paid for by a specific member, or a specific group of members.

The only set of beliefs my church of Christ uses is the Bible. We don't have a special book to use, we don't have rules other than what is in the Bible. We do only what the New Testament churches did, nothing more, nothing less.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
Christiangirl0909 said:

Denominations do cause problems. They cause problems in marriages, the cause problems among friends, etc. Jesus Christ intended for us to have one church, meaning only one denomination. We are instructed to follow his teachings exactly, or at least strive to follow his teaching exactly. The Roman Catholics include plenty of things in their service which are not in the Bible, and not instituted by Christ. When I get home, I can list a few (it's all in a book I recently obrtained called Traditions of Men vs. The Word of God.
Friendship can exist across denominations, and love is love in the eyes of God no matter your faith - its people who put up barriers, not religious beliefs.

Scott1

Christiangirl0909 said:
Well, to be clear, you did not state a truth... you gave your opinion.... and continue to do so.
Denominations do cause problems. They cause problems in marriages, the cause problems among friends, etc. Jesus Christ intended for us to have one church, meaning only one denomination. We are instructed to follow his teachings exactly, or at least strive to follow his teaching exactly.
I'd be happy to discuss this at length with you if you'd like to start another thread.
The Roman Catholics include plenty of things in their service which are not in the Bible, and not instituted by Christ. When I get home, I can list a few (it's all in a book I recently obrtained called Traditions of Men vs. The Word of God.
Looking forward to it.... please start a new thread with your list.

Peace in Christ,
Scott