• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Non-Christians. Why do you care so much about Christians and Christianity?

I haven't read all the responses. But as an outsider looking in with my perspective, I think people are stuck in a loop

There is something comforting about reinforcing their views to others almost like a mantra. I think the assumption you are making OP, who I like, is that atheists do not doubt. What I mean by that, even atheists struggle with their beliefs. Hence, the constant need to protect them from outside thoughts. I suspect atheists who are confident in their beliefs don't go on message boards. (I'm not discouraging you from being on a message board, but the same goes for theists with the added problem is some think they are helping you).

Riders

True Searching if my life,If I were perfectly confident I wouldn't need to debate but I don't claim I am . I believe Zen meditation and meditation movements like Yoga seem to be a Utopia for me.

However when it comes to my UU church and the Unity church I visit some, they are not perfect, I'm not perfectly confident about my churches. However I don't have a need to force my beliefs or convert folks to my churches as Christians do. Infact the UU and UNity churches don't believe in witnessing to people.
so even though I'm not perfectly confident,satisfied and fairly happy in my spriitual community.

I know I have never gone to someone elses community and disrupt it by trying to convert folks to my religion.Weve had plenty of Chrstians to do it in my UU church .

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
because I have a Christian brother of otherwise good intention who is stoned by the religion.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Which is why we're looking at the facts.
EXACTLY!
That would be hard, since I don't have a religion.
Debatable... you are your own god and humanism is your faith.

Not what I was asking. I'll rephrase: what caused these children to be orphans in the first place?
Earthquakes, hurricanes, murder, et al.

Not a generalization; examples. They don't represent all of Christianity, but they're part of the mix.
Generalization Fallacy. We already establish that there is a small percentage of those. But what you are suggesting is that since three atheists committed mass murder, then all are murderers. So, if you want to go that route, it cuts both ways.

1) VERY biased source with much opinions.
2) We were talking about HIV and now you are talking about Anti-Gay
3) 'It is true that Warren publicly criticized the bill in December 2009, calling it unjust “and un-Christian.” - After they made that quote, only opinions came.

If we're going to take this approach, are you going to answer for the atrocities of all theists?
You started it, I was following your lead.

There are many sorts of atheist. For instance, I'm a freethinking secular humanist. How many people have been murdered in the name of that?
Are you saying that since there are many sort of Christians, then the majority never did atrocities? (as you implied by your statement)

About the same number as the Christians who stood in opposition to Martin Luther King.
source?

As for abolitionism, that's one of those cases I was referring to of undoing the harm your religion caused in the first place.

I disagree. People did that and some were professing Christians. But hardly started there:

The History of Slavery

So, are trying to undo what the murder of millions that atheists did?

Western slavery was defended from its beginnings with Christian ideas. The fight to abolish it was against other Christians. If it weren't for Christianity, there wouldn't have been slaves to free.
No... Islam was a slave trader and still is. And, as noted in above site, it started way before and still continues today. Sex-slaves is the new slavery.

Again: they're undoing harm inflicted by Christianity in the first place.
Source?

If you'll recall, you're the one who made the initial claim that Christianity has been a net good. I responded with "debatable"; the fact that we're still debating the question suggests that I was right. ;)
And I still stand on a net good :D[/QUOTE]

Kenny

Premium Member
Christians are the ones who attack me for having no religion, Christians are the ones saying my civil rights and liberties must yield and bow to religious-based discrimination, Christians are the ones telling me how wrong, bad, and messed up my life and life choices are, Christians are the ones who try to say I am inherently immoral, and it is Christians who keep telling me I need saved. Sure, lots of Christians don't and are exactly the opposite, but if someone is telling me that I have to approve of rape and murder, it's a Christian.
It's why my response to the OP is pretty much "Don't ask me why I'm obsessed with Christians, the better question is to go ask them why they are so obsessed with me." Me, I don't care about them, and couldn't care less about what they do. Except, that is, during the mentioned examples, and plenty more.
Then may I say to you, as a Christian, feel free to have no religion and make all the choices you want.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Debatable... you are your own god and humanism is your faith.
No, I have no gods and I don't have "a faith"... as hard as it may be to understand this mindset.

Earthquakes, hurricanes, murder, et al.
There are earthquakes, hurricanes and murder in the United States as well. The death toll when natural disasters affect Haiti is largely due to their socio-economic conditions, which are wrapped up in a history of Christian colonialism and slavery, as well as being made an economic pariah - largely by American Christians - after successfully carrying out a slave revolt.

Generalization Fallacy. We already establish that there is a small percentage of those. But what you are suggesting is that since three atheists committed mass murder, then all are murderers. So, if you want to go that route, it cuts both ways.
I think it's funny how you keep using the word "fallacy" in ways that suggest you don't have any idea what a fallacy is.

We can recognize that some Christians commit murder, for instance, in the name of their religion without suggesting that every Christian is a murderer.

And it doesn't cut both ways. Atheism isn't a belief system; it isn't a creed. All that all of the atheists in the world have in common is that they don't believe in any gods.

The theistic equivalent to atheism would be all of theism.

The atheistic equivalent to Christianity would be some specific belief system that includes no belief in gods.

If you cite any atheistic belief system other than freethinking secular humanism, then you aren't speaking to my beliefs. It would be as disconnected as me citing, say, Norse Pagan human sacrifice and claiming it has something to do with your beliefs.

Do you understand?

1) VERY biased source with much opinions.
2) We were talking about HIV and now you are talking about Anti-Gay
3) 'It is true that Warren publicly criticized the bill in December 2009, calling it unjust “and un-Christian.” - After they made that quote, only opinions came.
Well, here's a different source:

Indeed, according to a report in these pages, Warren’s HIV-related activism in Africa has resulted in the termination of some of the continent’s most effective HIV prevention programs.
Rick Warren’s Troubling Africa Mission

You started it, I was following your lead.
This statement suggests you didn't get my point.

Are you saying that since there are many sort of Christians, then the majority never did atrocities? (as you implied by your statement)
No, I'm saying that just as the actions of non-Christian theists don't reflect on the group that you actually belong to, the actions of non-freethinking or non-humanist atheists don't reflect on any group that I actually belong to.

There's more similarity between the atheism of the Stalinist Soviet Union and Christianity than between it and what I believe.

Are you joking?

I disagree. People did that and some were professing Christians. But hardly started there:

The History of Slavery
Christians didn't invent slavery; they just implemented it on an unprecedented scale:
Triangular trade - Wikipedia

So, are trying to undo what the murder of millions that atheists did?
No more than you're trying to undo all the human sacrifices at Uppsala.

Temple at Uppsala - Wikipedia

No... Islam was a slave trader and still is. And, as noted in above site, it started way before and still continues today. Sex-slaves is the new slavery.
I was talking about in the areas where Christian abolitionism was active. The slaves these abolitionists freed were almost universally enslaved by Christians in the first place, and the opponents to their abolitionism movement were almost universally Christians, who often cited their religion and scriptures in support of slavery.

The conquest of the Americas was a religious mission sanctioned by the Pope with the aim of converting the indigenous peoples there to Christianity:
Among other works well pleasing to the Divine Majesty and cherished of our heart, this assuredly ranks highest, that in our times especially the Catholic faith and the Christian religion be exalted and be everywhere increased and spread, that the health of souls be cared for and that barbarous nations be overthrown and brought to the faith itself.
Inter Caetera

And I still stand on a net good :D
Of course you do.

Kenny

Premium Member
No, I have no gods and I don't have "a faith"... as hard as it may be to understand this mindset.
Oh... but you do. You are your own god with the faith that humans are the answer to problems (which history, of course, showing that humans can't fix it)

There are earthquakes, hurricanes and murder in the United States as well. The death toll when natural disasters affect Haiti is largely due to their socio-economic conditions, which are wrapped up in a history of Christian colonialism and slavery, as well as being made an economic pariah - largely by American Christians - after successfully carrying out a slave revolt.
To compare America with Haiti is to compare France with America... two different animals. To equate today's socio-economic conditions with the time of slavery is to eliminate 200 years of the end of slavery in Haiti. To equate the religious conditions in Haiti as a "Christian" problem is to forget that Haiti's predominant religion was voodoo.

The synthesis of these three facts makes mute your points.

Haiti: Possessed by Voodoo

I think it's funny how you keep using the word "fallacy" in ways that suggest you don't have any idea what a fallacy is.
your statement is funny in and of itself. ;)

We can recognize that some Christians commit murder, for instance, in the name of their religion without suggesting that every Christian is a murderer.
Then I can apply the same standard to atheists. Thanks for bringing a semblance of sanity.

And it doesn't cut both ways. Atheism isn't a belief system; it isn't a creed. All that all of the atheists in the world have in common is that they don't believe in any gods.
Dichotomy of positions. Atheists IS a belief system that believes there aren't any gods. But I love how atheists have morphed their position on what atheism means.

I enjoy the Merriam-Webster definition "a person who does not believe in the existence of a god or any gods : one who subscribes to or advocates atheism" - emphasis mine. The believe system is that there is no gods.

If you cite any atheistic belief system other than freethinking secular humanism, then you aren't speaking to my beliefs. It would be as disconnected as me citing, say, Norse Pagan human sacrifice and claiming it has something to do with your beliefs.
I would then come to the conclusion that you are creating a new faith. Faith being, in the general sense of the meaning, that it is based on something other than facts. Since you have not searched the limits of the universe to find out if there is a God, your position is not based on knowing all the facts and therefore is a faith position.

Ok... read it. A mixture of opinion (with a negative slant) and facts but one thing is glaring through it all... it doesn't address the point we were talking about, his efforts to help counter the HIV epidemic.
No, I'm saying that just as the actions of non-Christian theists don't reflect on the group that you actually belong to, the actions of non-freethinking or non-humanist atheists don't reflect on any group that I actually belong to.
Then I will equally point to the reality that the actions of a few Christians don't reflect on the Christianity as a whole.

There's more similarity between the atheism of the Stalinist Soviet Union and Christianity than between it and what I believe.
We will have to agree to disagree. (who ever heard of someone giving a bad resume of oneself?)

Christians didn't invent slavery; they just implemented it on an unprecedented scale:
Triangular trade - Wikipedia
No doubt SOME Christians did just that.

Atheists took murder to an unprecedented scale.

Atheism and Mass Murder - Conservapedia

I was talking about in the areas where Christian abolitionism was active. The slaves these abolitionists freed were almost universally enslaved by Christians in the first place, and the opponents to their abolitionism movement were almost universally Christians, who often cited their religion and scriptures in support of slavery.
I will not disagree that some Christians did promote slavery as I will also admit that Christians helped abolish slavery as it was that Islam promoted slavery and that slavery existed way before Christianity existed and sex-slaves exists today even though Christians and atheists alike agree that it is wrong.

The conquest of the Americas was a religious mission sanctioned by the Pope with the aim of converting the indigenous peoples there to Christianity:

Inter Caetera
(Pope - Catholicism at the exclusion of Protestantism).

And... what does that have to do with slavery?

Of course you do.
And rightly so :D

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Oh... but you do. You are your own god with the faith that humans are the answer to problems (which history, of course, showing that humans can't fix it)
Don't presume that you know my kind better than I do.

To compare America with Haiti is to compare France with America... two different animals. To equate today's socio-economic conditions with the time of slavery is to eliminate 200 years of the end of slavery in Haiti. To equate the religious conditions in Haiti as a "Christian" problem is to forget that Haiti's predominant religion was voodoo.

The synthesis of these three facts makes mute your points.

Haiti: Possessed by Voodoo
Haitian Voodoo is a mix of Christian and traditional African religions, so it's not like blaming Voodoo for Haiti's problems means that they don't have anything to do with Christianity.

Anyhow, you missed my point: Haiti is much less able to recover from things like natural disasters than wealthier countries because of its socio-economic conditions, and those socio-economic conditions were caused in large part by American trade embargoes. These embargoes were driven by American slavers - predominantly Christian, justifying slavery on the basis of religion - who were scared to death that the idea of a violent slave uprising could spread to their plantations in the US.

Then I can apply the same standard to atheists. Thanks for bringing a semblance of sanity.
You missed the point again. The label "atheist" says nothing about what I believe; it only describes what I don't believe.

In your case, I'm trying my best to only point out actions motivated by things you uphold yourself, like belief in the Bible as the word of God. For you to do the same with me, you would have to restrain yourself to the actions of people who were being motivated by what I consider true or good.

Dichotomy of positions. Atheists IS a belief system that believes there aren't any gods. But I love how atheists have morphed their position on what atheism means.
To use a tired analogy, not believing in gods is a belief system like not collecting stamps is a hobby.

I enjoy the Merriam-Webster definition "a person who does not believe in the existence of a god or any gods : one who subscribes to or advocates atheism" - emphasis mine. The believe system is that there is no gods.
Rather than argue your point, let's go with it for argument's sake. What do you think it implies?

When it comes to Christianity, we can build chains of reasoning like this:

- many Christians consider the Bible the word of God.
- the Bible praises slavery.
- therefore, some Christians believe that God approves of slavery.
- therefore, some Christians support slavery because they consider the Bible the word of God.

Can you do the same for atheists? Start with the premise "many atheists believe that no gods exist" and, using only steps that logically flow from this premise, end up at some nasty conclusion. Can you do it?

I would then come to the conclusion that you are creating a new faith. Faith being, in the general sense of the meaning, that it is based on something other than facts. Since you have not searched the limits of the universe to find out if there is a God, your position is not based on knowing all the facts and therefore is a faith position.
You have some serious misunderstandings of what I actually believe.

Ok... read it. A mixture of opinion (with a negative slant) and facts but one thing is glaring through it all... it doesn't address the point we were talking about, his efforts to help counter the HIV epidemic.

Except it does:

Indeed, according to a report in these pages, Warren’s HIV-related activism in Africa has resulted in the termination of some of the continent’s most effective HIV prevention programs.

Then I will equally point to the reality that the actions of a few Christians don't reflect on the Christianity as a whole.
You're right. That's why I'm focusing specifically on the actions of Christians that were motivated by their religion.

We will have to agree to disagree. (who ever heard of someone giving a bad resume of oneself?)
Like Christianity, Stalinism preached submission to authority; you just disagree on the specific authority. Christianity and Stalinism both devalue human beings: the Bible describes humans as "pots" that God the "potter" can do with as he pleases. In contrast, I say that authority is only legitimate based on merit and the consent of the governed, and the inherent worth of every person should be respected.

Like I said: Stalinism is closer to Christianity than it is to freethinking humanism.

No doubt SOME Christians did just that.
Not only did they do it; they used their religion - your religion - to justify their actions.

Atheists took murder to an unprecedented scale.

Atheism and Mass Murder - Conservapedia
Again: atheism is not a creed. It doesn't motivate people to do anything.

A moment ago you called freethinking secular humanism my "religion", remember? Show me a freethinking secular humanist who ever killed for his "faith". Just one.

I will not disagree that some Christians did promote slavery as I will also admit that Christians helped abolish slavery as it was that Islam promoted slavery and that slavery existed way before Christianity existed and sex-slaves exists today even though Christians and atheists alike agree that it is wrong.
And Christianity caused millions more people to be enslaved than would have been the case otherwise.

(Pope - Catholicism at the exclusion of Protestantism).
That encyclical was written about a century before the Protestant Reformation. At the time, there was no Protestantism to exclude.

... but your point is irrelevant, since so far, we've been talking about Christianity in general.

And... what does that have to do with slavery?
Slavery of "Saracens" and pagans had been authorized by the Pope much earlier:

Dum Diversas - Wikipedia

The Papal bull I quoted (Inter Caetera) extended this authorization of slavery to the Americas.

And rightly so :D
As you said: "who ever heard of someone giving a bad resume of oneself?"

Kenny

Premium Member
Don't presume that you know my kind better than I do.
And yet you presume to know Christianity better than I. Why do I feel like there is a double standard here?
Haitian Voodoo is a mix of Christian and traditional African religions, so it's not like blaming Voodoo for Haiti's problems means that they don't have anything to do with Christianity.
I said the opposite. To say that it Is Christianity's problem and that one doesn't factor in the generations of voodoo (the PREVAILING religion) is to shift blame. Why do I feel like there is a double standard here?

Anyhow, you missed my point: Haiti is much less able to recover from things like natural disasters than wealthier countries because of its socio-economic conditions, and those socio-economic conditions were caused in large part by American trade embargoes. These embargoes were driven by American slavers - predominantly Christian, justifying slavery on the basis of religion - who were scared to death that the idea of a violent slave uprising could spread to their plantations in the US.
I already acknowledged these facts (don't know why you continue to press what is acknowledged)... what you fail to acknowledge that there were more against it than for it. Nor do you acknowledge that today Christianity is the biggest help-givers in all groups.

You missed the point again. The label "atheist" says nothing about what I believe; it only describes what I don't believe.
No... I got your point. My point is that it is a slight-of-the-word movement that tries to disguise the reality that you "believe" that there is no God.

To use a tired analogy, not believing in gods is a belief system like not collecting stamps is a hobby.
Relevance.

Rather than argue your point, let's go with it for argument's sake. What do you think it implies?

When it comes to Christianity, we can build chains of reasoning like this:

- many Christians consider the Bible the word of God.
- the Bible praises slavery.
- therefore, some Christians believe that God approves of slavery.
- therefore, some Christians support slavery because they consider the Bible the word of God.

Can you do the same for atheists? Start with the premise "many atheists believe that no gods exist" and, using only steps that logically flow from this premise, end up at some nasty conclusion. Can you do it?
- Christians believes that the Bible is the word of God
- Bible does not praise slavery. (Atheist slight-of-words)
- Which is why Christians led the way to stop slavery
- therefore, you are wrong.

Let me "play" this slight-of-words game
- Atheists believe there is no God
- therefore they believe in evolution (survival of the fittest)
- therefore morality is subjective and changes between atheist to atheist (you yourself said you were different from other atheists)
- therefore atheists believe that one group of people is better than another group of people (you insinuate that you are better than Stalin type atheists--a subjective position)
- therefore they should control other people because they are better.
- therefore they support slavery.

Both slight-of-words are ridiculous.

The rest is just the rehashing of the same positions...

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
So much so that you spend hours here debating and arguing with them post after post after post.

calvin_arguing.png

(And yes, I realize that I do it myself and that people might expect my answer, but rather than possibly influencing the answers of others I'm going to wait with mine. :p )

I tend to categorize most believers together, as their fundamental commonalities are generally what I make observations and comments about. Generally speaking, what someone's specific beliefs are is only relevant in terms of their view about a specific subject at hand.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
And yet you presume to know Christianity better than I. Why do I feel like there is a double standard here?
Because you aren't seeing the situation clearly, maybe?

I said the opposite. To say that it Is Christianity's problem and that one doesn't factor in the generations of voodoo (the PREVAILING religion) is to shift blame. Why do I feel like there is a double standard here?
Voodoo is an effect of Christianity. You'll have to sort your feelings out for themselves.

I already acknowledged these facts (don't know why you continue to press what is acknowledged)...
It wasn't clear that you did. Glad to hear that we both agree that a siginificant chunk of Haiti's problems can be traced back to the Christian religion.

what you fail to acknowledge that there were more against it than for it.
Depends on the era. Christian sentiment shifted over time, largely as a result of the humanist movement, IMO.

And "more against it than for it", once we reach the era when this became true, doesn't mean that Christianity as a whole was against slavery; it means that Christianity had mixed feelings on the issue.

Nor do you acknowledge that today Christianity is the biggest help-givers in all groups.
I never failed to acknowledge this. I just pointed out that these people are working to solve problems that were largely created by Christians following the Christian religion.

No... I got your point. My point is that it is a slight-of-the-word movement that tries to disguise the reality that you "believe" that there is no God.
No, you really did miss my point.

You're wrong on what "atheism" means, but let's pretend you're right: so what? How do you make a rational chain of reason from "God does not exist" to "we should do _______"?

...And what you provided below does not qualify as "reasoning" or "rational".

Relevance.
Lumping all atheists together just because they don't believe in God makes about as much sense as lumping skydivers and model railroaders together because their hobby is "not collecting stamps".

- Christians believes that the Bible is the word of God
- Bible does not praise slavery. (Atheist slight-of-words)
We disagree; let's go to the source:

"However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way."(Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT)

Do you think this passage supports or opposes slavery? Think hard.

- Which is why Christians led the way to stop slavery
Christians "led the way to stop slavery" that was being committed by other Christians,.

- therefore, you are wrong.
Nope. Try again.

Let me "play" this slight-of-words game
- Atheists believe there is no God
- therefore they believe in evolution (survival of the fittest)
Your second point doesn't follow from the first.
- therefore morality is subjective and changes between atheist to atheist (you yourself said you were different from other atheists)
Your third point doesn't follow from the first two.

Also, what does belief or non-belief in gods have to do with morality?

- therefore atheists believe that one group of people is better than another group of people (you insinuate that you are better than Stalin type atheists--a subjective position)
Again, this doesn't follow... and you seriously misunderstood what I said earlier.
- therefore they should control other people because they are better.
Not only does this not follow, it contradicts the principles of both freethought and humanism, two views I told you I held.

- therefore they support slavery.
... despite the fact that I obviously oppose slavery?

Both slight-of-words are ridiculous.
Nope - only one.

Kenny

Premium Member
Because you aren't seeing the situation clearly, maybe?
LOL - because you aren't.

Voodoo is an effect of Christianity. You'll have to sort your feelings out for themselves.
wrong... again. You aren't hitting the ball at all.

It wasn't clear that you did. Glad to hear that we both agree that a siginificant chunk of Haiti's problems can be traced back to the Christian religion.
Maybe it's a reading comprehension problem that hinders you. ;)

Depends on the era. Christian sentiment shifted over time, largely as a result of the humanist movement, IMO.
Opinions do abound don't they?

I never failed to acknowledge this. I just pointed out that these people are working to solve problems that were largely created by Christians following the Christian religion.
not in Haiti.

Lumping all atheists together just because they don't believe in God makes about as much sense as lumping skydivers and model railroaders together because their hobby is "not collecting stamps".
And yet you have no problem lumping Christians together. Why do I STILL feel like you offer a double standard?

We disagree; let's go to the source:

"However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way."(Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT)

Do you think this passage supports or opposes slavery? Think hard.
Think hard.... The Law of Moses or the Law of Liberty in Christ (Christianity)... which one was the above referencing?

May I suggest a course in hermeneutics?

Nope. Try again.

Your second point doesn't follow from the first.

Your third point doesn't follow from the first two.

Also, what does belief or non-belief in gods have to do with morality?

Again, this doesn't follow... and you seriously misunderstood what I said earlier.

Not only does this not follow, it contradicts the principles of both freethought and humanism, two views I told you I held.
NOW you got the point about your version :D WOW!! That wasn't hard to help you see the light!

... despite the fact that I obviously oppose slavery?
despite the fact that I obviously oppose slavery. Hmmm... Why do I feel there is still a double standard?

WAIT! I GOT IT!! You do have a double standard! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Kenny

Premium Member
You oppose slavery, but you support the taking the Bible as God's word, which supports slavery.

Your position is inconsistent.
Hmmm...

Law of Moses... Law of the Spirit of Liberty in Christ (Christianity) .... still waiting for the response. If you can figure that one out... it will product life and liberty in your understanding of Christianity.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Hmmm...

Law of Moses... Law of the Spirit of Liberty in Christ (Christianity) .... still waiting of the response.
I don't really care about internal Christian doctrinal disputes. All I know is that the Bible speaks in praise of slavery and commands people on multiple occasions to enslave others. I also know that slavery was widely accepted in Christians until the last few hundred years, and when it was, Christian teachings were cited in its support.

Now... I get that you probably think that your version of Christianity is better than all the others, but this is irrelevant. Slave-owning Christians who defended their actions with their religion were a genuine part of Christianity.

Kenny

Premium Member
I don't really care about internal Christian doctrinal disputes.

This is called "flat-earth" thinking -- no matter what the evidence there is that is to the contrary.

There is also a fallacy in your statement... did you want me to tell you which one?

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
Same old lame arguments; "as a Christian you are responsible for everything ever done by Christians throughout history", "As a Muslim you are responsible for every for every terrorist attack done by purported Muslims", but as an atheist "you are not responsible for anything any other atheist did, as atheists are all different, unlike Christians or Muslims which are all the same."

Kenny

Premium Member
Same old lame arguments; "as a Christian you are responsible for everything ever done by Christians throughout history", "As a Muslim you are responsible for every for every terrorist attack done by purported Muslims", but as an atheist "you are not responsible for anything any other atheist did, as atheists are all different, unlike Christians or Muslims which are all the same."
WOW! That was quite an observation!

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
So much so that you spend hours here debating and arguing with them post after post after post.

calvin_arguing.png

(And yes, I realize that I do it myself and that people might expect my answer, but rather than possibly influencing the answers of others I'm going to wait with mine. :p )

Easy, I don't. :) I really don't care all that much about Christianity. :)

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
This is called "flat-earth" thinking -- no matter what the evidence there is that is to the contrary.
Countless Christians over the centuries have not only supported slavery, but have cited the Bible in support of it. Do you deny this?

There is also a fallacy in your statement... did you want me to tell you which one?
You've got a streak of being wrong going; why stop now?