• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Non-Christians. Why do you care so much about Christians and Christianity?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
It's interesting that you think Christians are the ones doing the persecuting. My thinking is that it's the other way around on RF.
I have to go with @Riders on this as it is especially fundamentalist/evangelical Protestants that appear to be the most aggressive here at RF, although certainly not all of them.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
What would a typical or stereotypical view of Catholics by other Christians be?

Here in Brazil there has been a lot of growth of Protestants of various forms, but Catholics are still by far the most widespread form of Christian. I wonder how different it feels when Catholics are a clear minority.

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
However there have been Jewish Synagogues burned down by good old Christian teens and Christians who quite often protest Jewish Synogues. Sense your so completely sensitive to those who would debate Christians are you also interested in persecuting your Jewish Brothers and sisters that other Christians too?

upload_2017-5-4_13-41-48.gif
or to put it another way - :facepalm:

Within the context and purpose of this thread you are so totally out of line - especially since you don't know me - that, as a Jew and as a rabbi, the above emojis are as diplomatic as I can get in responding to your offensive, unfounded and ill thought out remarks.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
The thread title is a bit of a leading question, don't you think? Or did you intend this question to be asked only to non-Chrsitians who do care a lot about debating Christians or Christianity? Because I'm one of those non-Christians who doesn't care. :sweat:
Me too.

Underhill

While I couldn't care less what people believe I do enjoy a good debate. It's a diversion from stresses of the day.

Riders

View attachment 17078or to put it another way - :facepalm:

Within the context and purpose of this thread you are so totally out of line - especially since you don't know me - that, as a Jew and as a rabbi, the above emojis are as diplomatic as I can get in responding to your offensive, unfounded and ill thought out remarks.

View attachment 17078or to put it another way - :facepalm:

MY suggestion that you would persecute your own brothers and sisters is unfouded your right.

I'm just dumbfounded at your so hyper sensitive and protective about Christians here. They don't need to be protected,I have to protect myself from Christians who witness to me everyday.

I a member of a chatroom, its apart of a chap application you download to your computer. But the chatrooms are mostly for tobecontinued

Riders

Dammit Rabbio my format didn't come out I will reply on this on to your last post to me. My suggestion that you would persecute your own brothers and sisters was unfounded and wrong, I apologize.

I'm just dumbfounded that you would be so super hyper sensitive about protecting Christians when in fact they are not persecuted in America and in fact they are the ones who persecute?

In the last 6 weeks I was completly bullied by 2 Christians who were in a chat application for Zen Buddhists with me. They were thrown out but I will put up a thread about my experience either today or tomarrow. I have a few miss spelled words here sorry. I'm just tired of Christians putt up threads crying persecution hen the very exact opposite is true.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
And this, right here, is part of the tragedy in my eyes. Humans who can't be good, or do right by one another without this "faith". It is much like the person who asks the nonbeliever "Without God, why aren't you just out there killing and stealing? What stops you?" The person asking not even taking the time to realize what statement they are making about themselves as they say it - that they would be out "killing and stealing" if it weren't for "God." That's a very sad statement of their affairs indeed. And again - said without even realizing what is being said.
Why do you create a scenario that is so ridiculous? Do you always create your own crazy scenario?

Based on what I just wrote above - this is nothing to be proud of. Quite the opposite. If Christ is the only thing keeping you from whatever "direction" you hold in low regard... then what does that say about your, personal resolve? Have you no strength of your own? No capacity for goodness?
I view it quite differently (of course). When I hear of a person who thinks so highly of himself, I think pride has gone to his head. It takes more to admit where he isn't as good as he would like to be. I guess the person who thinks he is all that, in reality, has no strength at all.

And? They too should be taken to task for any and all of their own failures - and by the rest of their "kind" most especially.
nobody can be as great as you are. I guess you are just above everybody else. Well... at least we can look up to you to emulate.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Jesus said "If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you." John 15:19
I think that one of the big problems with Christianity is that it makes itself out to be marginalized and oppressed even when it has enormous political and social power.

I understand that there's a common mindset among Christians that if you aren't being persecuted, you aren't Christian enough, but I see a problem in this approach:

- people who think that they're threatened can feel desperate. Desperate people often make bad decisions that harm others.

- lots of people hold to the idea of "punching up": defend the oppressed, side with the little guy against the big guy, etc., but this martyrdom mentality on the part of many Christians creates the impression that Christianity is always the oppressed and always the little guy, so a Christian can take on anyone and never be "punching down."

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Christianity is the religion of two billions of humans, half of its large economies, both the world's nuclear superpowers, and is indeed the largest religion on the planet. Its doctrines have influenced the law of the United Nations and countless countries that are themselves not Christian. Even if you are not interested in Christianity, it is interested in you. So of course it is a powerful, preoccupying moral subject.

Like all things human Christianity is very disperse with ideologies. One example the Catholic church opposed Barrack Obama first election they actually created a pamphlet that was given out listing the reasons not to vote for Obama. More than 54% of Catholics voted for Obama depending on the poll you check.

Christianity as a whole is influencing the world only as all human groupings influence the world. Money talks, if the churches can raise money for the politicians through there followers than the politicians will listen. Money is the biggest influence in laws unless your country has a Religious Government.

Kenny

Premium Member
Well that's a huge issue for me why I don't believe in Christianity. Its not because this is true but because its not. Christians are only persecuted in other countries, but in AMerica Christians are the persecuters, the world loves Christianity in AMerica. So sense the world in America loves Christianity where did it go wrong?
I guess you will have to tell us. Why do Christians bother you so much?

Kenny

Premium Member
And my point is that even if the influence of Christianity was entirely bad, we'd still see plenty of examples of Christians doing good things.

Remember that even a terrorist organization like Hezbollah has a charitable arm. The mere fact that charitable work happens in the name of an organization doesn't mean that the overall impact of that organization is necessarily positive.
Except, Christianity is mostly good.

Kenny

Premium Member
I have to go with @Riders on this as it is especially fundamentalist/evangelical Protestants that appear to be the most aggressive here at RF, although certainly not all of them.
I am NOT AGRESSIVE METIS. :mad::mad::mad:

AND IF YOU DON'T STOP THAT, I'M COMING OVER TO YOUR HOME AND HAVE A PRAYER VIGIL!!

;)

Kenny

Premium Member
I'm just dumbfounded that you would be so super hyper sensitive about protecting Christians when in fact they are not persecuted in America and in fact they are the ones who persecute?
And just how are they doing that?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So much so that you spend hours here debating and arguing with them post after post after post.

calvin_arguing.png

(And yes, I realize that I do it myself and that people might expect my answer, but rather than possibly influencing the answers of others I'm going to wait with mine. :p )

Who says I care?
Arguing with someone doesn't mean caring about their religion.

Kenny

Premium Member
I think that one of the big problems with Christianity is that it makes itself out to be marginalized and oppressed even when it has enormous political and social power.

I understand that there's a common mindset among Christians that if you aren't being persecuted, you aren't Christian enough, but I see a problem in this approach:

- people who think that they're threatened can feel desperate. Desperate people often make bad decisions that harm others.

- lots of people hold to the idea of "punching up": defend the oppressed, side with the little guy against the big guy, etc., but this martyrdom mentality on the part of many Christians creates the impression that Christianity is always the oppressed and always the little guy, so a Christian can take on anyone and never be "punching down."
Really?

Bible reading not allowed before class, professor tells student

Christian Clubs Rejected on College Campuses for Being Discriminatory

Just to name a few.

Maybe the only reason it isn't worse is because there are so many Christians? Certainly, by some comments, it does seem to be a possibility .

Last edited: