• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

[Non-Christians] Do religious discussions on RF make you want to be a Christian?

Do religious discussions on RF make you want to be a Christian?

• Total voters

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I don't think that Jesus taught good character or virtues.
Yea. The vibe I get from the character of Jesus is self importance and boastful with a little bit of bigotry thrown in.

I suppose if your a son of a God though, those qualities might be expected.

vulcanlogician

Yea. The vibe I get from the character of Jesus is self importance and boastful with a little bit of bigotry thrown in.

I suppose if your a son of a God though, those qualities might be expected.

Depends on which Gospel you mean. He could be seen as somewhat boastful in all of them. But more so in John. In John he likes do drop the line: "Did I mention I am the son of God," a lot more than in the synoptics. Whoever authored John must have really seen Jesus as needing to have a self-important attitude.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
It just feels like even when there's a simple yet hard-to-discuss, nitty gritty answer to a question I have, that the Christian will often kind of dance around the subject. Sometimes I do even ask questions I may know the answer to, like a lawyer, just to see the response and see if things are on the up-and-up in regards to what people are talking about.

The dancing around the subject turns me away from Christianity, because in the thought-processes as to what makes a person a Christian, I fear there is much more dancing around.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
For non-Christians only: When you're browsing Religious Forums, and you see discussions on salvation or Church history or any theological topic, do these discussions make Christianity seem appealing, or do these arguments turn you away?

Sadly, the Religious Right has made the religion toxic to many and it is paying for that. I just attended a Unity Christian church and it was very positive, affirmative and loving. I have been to them before and I think I will stay. I also like the Christian Left, but will never go backward to conservative churches again.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Sadly, the Religious Right has made the religion toxic to many and it is paying for that. I just attended a Unity Christian church and it was very positive, affirmative and loving. I have been to them before and I think I will stay. I also like the Christian Left, but will never go backward to conservative churches again.

I share your sentiments about the Religious Right, and I keep my distance from most people involved in it.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
For non-Christians only: When you're browsing Religious Forums, and you see discussions on salvation or Church history or any theological topic, do these discussions make Christianity seem appealing, or do these arguments turn you away?
I don't think that I will ever find claims that presume the existence of some version of Abraham's God appealing.

If anything, they remind me of how exotic those creeds can be.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Salvation, church history, or theology--no thanks. Too political.

However, I would love to be able to discuss Jesus's teaching (and James, and Peter's, but not so much Paul's teachings) with Christians.

Ella S.

Dispassionate Goth
Most of the posts from Christians on this forum make me glad that I am no longer one of them and provide more reasons for why I will not return to the religion.

Ironically, this mostly comes from the "nice" Christians that talk about how loving and tolerant Elohim is, because they have to distort their own scripture quite a bit to do that.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Most christian posters on RF confirm my experience and belief about christianity so that would be a no, Christianity could no longer appeal to me.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Most of the posts from Christians on this forum make me glad that I am no longer one of them and provide more reasons for why I will not return to the religion.

Ironically, this mostly comes from the "nice" Christians that talk about how loving and tolerant Elohim is, because they have to distort their own scripture quite a bit to do that.

Most christian posters on RF confirm my experience and belief about christianity so that would be a no, Christianity could no longer appeal to me.

I feel the same way about most of the posts from Christians on this forum.

To be honest, reading these posts reaffirms my decision to never be a Christian again.

Sundance

Premium Member
I sympathize with Christianity as a religion, however I find my spiritual succor in Ancient Greek philosophy. This being said, I’m quite fond of @Vouthon and his various posts; they do make me curious about topics such as Christian theology, the history of the Church, and the like.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
[Non-Christians] Do religious discussions on RF make you want to be a Christian?

I don't see many believers and or followers of Jesus and his teachings here, I observe, please. Right?
All I see here they belong to the Pauline-Christendom invented by the Hellenist-Paul, I must point out, that has got nothing to do with Jesus and or his truthful teachings, I understand. Unless all these Pauline-Christianity people (32000+ denominations of them including the JWs and Latter-Day-Saints) correct themselves, I cannot accept one's polite invitation and for that I thank you very much, please. Right?

Regards

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member

I don't see many believers and or followers of Jesus and his teachings here, I observe, please. Right?
All I see here they belong to the Pauline-Christendom invented by the Hellenist-Paul, I must point out, that has got nothing to do with Jesus and or his truthful teachings, I understand. Unless all these Pauline-Christianity people (32000+ denominations of them including the JWs and Latter-Day-Saints) correct themselves, I cannot accept one's polite invitation and for that I thank you very much, please. Right?

Regards
So, are you simply complaining as to the origins of Christianity just being a seed to so many divergent belief systems? Well, how about a look at the various other religious beliefs as to such, given this seems to be quite endemic to religions and religious beliefs. And perhaps a reason to be suspicious as to the veracity of any? :oops:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
So, are you simply complaining as to the origins of Christianity just being a seed to so many divergent belief systems? Well, how about a look at the various other religious beliefs as to such, given this seems to be quite endemic to religions and religious beliefs. And perhaps a reason to be suspicious as to the veracity of any? :oops:
Every body is free to convince me, I am an open mind, please, and that is why I am here. Right?
I am sorry for the Pauline-Christians, they not-knowingly have been mislead by this Hellenist-Paul, I understand, from the truthful path of Jesus and his good teachings, I understand. As humans all Christians are good persons though, I observe, please. Right?

Regards

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Every body is free to convince me, I am an open mind, please, and that is why I am here. Right?
I am sorry for the Pauline-Christians, they not-knowingly have been mislead by this Hellenist-Paul, I understand, from the truthful path of Jesus and his good teachings, I understand. As humans all Christians are good persons though, I observe, please. Right?

Regards
Well most people have the prospect of being 'good people', unless they do have problems or issues that aren't so readily amenable to solutions, but so many it seems are more easily persuaded by religious dogma - of whatever sort - which might prevent being 'good'. So where did this all originate?