• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

[Non-Christians] Do religious discussions on RF make you want to be a Christian?

Do religious discussions on RF make you want to be a Christian?

• Total voters

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
Doesnt make me want to join Christianity but does make me miss it sometimes. The conversations sometimes make Christianity appealing and sometimes not.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Agree the Enterprise isn’t a warship but anyship that can go toe to toe with a Borg cube can certainly handle a star destroyer!
The Borg Cube would get annihilated by a Star Destroyer, and just about anything else that is larger than that in the Imperial Fleet.
Another advantage the Stat Destroyer has is it carries in it smaller warships. So the Enterprise would also be against TIE Fighters and Bombers. There just wouldn't be a contest.
But, ultimately, they are all inferior to the Daleks. They have a large enough arsenal they don't even have to worry about the Borg adapting to them, lmao. The eternally raging, space Nazi squid-things are supreme!

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Please stay on topic.

4. Soliciting/Advertising and Off-Topic Spam
Soliciting or advertising for any content outside of the forums, whether your own or that of another person or group, is prohibited, and may be deleted by the staff on sight. This rule applies to any content area of the forum, including but not limited to the chat room, forum posts, profile information, private conversations, and signatures. Special exception may be granted to promote content in keeping with the mission of RF, but requires advance permission from the RF staff.

Spam or off-topic content is also not allowed on the forums. This includes (but is not limited to) posting links or images without discussion-promoting commentary, having a signature that violates signature size guidelines, posting surveys without permission from the RF staff, posts that deviate significantly from a thread topic or its intent, repetitious non-conversational posts, and any other habits deemed spammy by the staff.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Can you be more specific? Christianity is a very broad topic. I very much believe in Jesus and His teachings on love. The Beatitudes. His parables.

Everyone agrees with love and good character and virtues which Jesus taught.

But things like the papal wars and all sorts of man made dogmas which have nothing to do with Jesus can’t really be called true Christianity so it’s understandable that if by Christianity is meant what the priests and churches teach then it is not so appealing when one considers Christianity is divided into many sects.

To me the Christianity which I love is what Jesus taught.

Last edited:

Qwin

Sadly, no, I find Christianity shallow, and recently invited to a Christian church, I was so bored during the service, tears streamed down my cheeks. Not to say I deny Christ or the Bible, I don't deny them.

However, kudos to Christianity for fighting back! Christian lawyers defending street preachers and others, excellent. Christians in Canada who are repeatedly abused by the state and often, thrown in the clink. And kudos to Creationists using 'science' against 'science' to prove their points, and the Creationists are making sense.

My stance on Christianity probably concurs with the many who take no part in organized religions, because for one, religions have all the flaws that beset any group of people. The bottom line of groups is that they're right, and then there's, what they're right about. If they're not right, then what's the group for? Oh, yes they're sinners all, but the right kind of sinners. Groups must also constantly reassure their members that they're right, am I wrong?

Most of the many of the people of the world suppose there's some sort of God. It's that way because Christianity does not have the fire. Fire? The stuff that sets you alight; motivates, thrills, excites, and for me Christianity stimulated only tears.

Ultimately Christianity is groups of people. Elsewhere is Godly fire.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
For non-Christians only: When you're browsing Religious Forums, and you see discussions on salvation or Church history or any theological topic, do these discussions make Christianity seem appealing, or do these arguments turn you away?

Theology is pretty irrelevant to this unbeliever, by which I mean any discussion that assumes the existence of a god, which would include discussions on salvation, but not church history, an academic topic. So, I'd say that these discussions neither make Christianity appealing nor off putting.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
***Mod Post***

Second Warning:
Several posts in this thread have been deleted for violating rule 4.

Any subsequent off-topic posts will be subject to moderation.

Q

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Can you be more specific? Christianity is a very broad topic. I very much believe in Jesus and His teachings on love. The Beatitudes. His parables.

Everyone agrees with love and good character and virtues which Jesus taught.

But things like the papal wars and all sorts of man made dogmas which have nothing to do with Jesus can’t really be called true Christianity so it’s understandable that if by Christianity is meant what the priests and churches teach then it is not so appealing when one considers Christianity is divided into many sects.

To me the Christianity which I love is what Jesus taught.

I was thinking Christianity as a whole, not a specific Christian sect(s).

Heyo

Veteran Member
For non-Christians only: When you're browsing Religious Forums, and you see discussions on salvation or Church history or any theological topic, do these discussions make Christianity seem appealing, or do these arguments turn you away?
They are much too advanced for me.
With "advanced" I mean that there are questions that have to answered first before I could think about Christianity.
1. Can anyone know about god(s)?
2. Does anyone know about god(s)?
3. Are there god(s)?
4. How many god(s) are there?
Only if these are answered with "yes, yes, yes, three" can there be a question about Christianity. And there are at least 16 more questions that have to be answered before I could settle on a denomination.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
No, the conversations don't make me inclined to Christianity. There are a few Christians like Metis who are reasonable and have deeper responses. But most of the Christians in here tend to be literalists and are anti-science. There are a few who just want to preach, and are not interested in discussion.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
No more than any other religion, where they all tend to have some good and some bad. And given I just regard the Bible as a religious text from the past, like others, and not having the veracity that many see in such texts. Buddhism for me is the more attractive since I can align with much of it, and without any requirement to accept so much dogma and assertion.

PearlSeeker

I used to be (fully) Christian when I came to RF. I can't say that the discussions completely turned me away from Christianity but they certainly contributed to abandon blind faith in dogmatic teaching and apply more critical thinking.

Viker

Häxan
They do little to nothing for me. I turned away long ago.

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
People that say yes to this poll are not solidified in their own faith and are in dasein. I can't stand being in dasein. Every time I get close to another concept I always go back to my syntheist and pantheist beliefs that I developed from the ages of 14-22. Religion is part of identity and being is dasein is extremely uncomfortable for most people. They would rather believe what is wrong even if they know it's wrong.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Nope. Not when one can see the real world scandals, behaviors, and antics of its members.

Catholics go without saying as to pedophilia and the mass graves of Indigenous. They also sound like the Borg during their homilies.

Tele-evanglists and the rampant greed and cons they use to rape their naive congregations is another without question.

Plus the doctrine itself is so out of touch and fantastical with reality it's impossible to ever accept it wholesale that any of it is even legit in the slightest.

There is simply nothing unique or special going on that makes Christians stand out from any other religion out there that claims miracles and healings, apparitions, guardians, and the like. Christians don't corner the market on that stuff.

I tried Christianity for a long time and found its just a rose colored insulated world of fantasy with pretty stained glass windows at best.

As to the conversations on RF itself, it's just an extension of the fantasy with a notable amount of confusion present in spite of claims of a communicating God guiding them.