• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

[Non-Christians] Do religious discussions on RF make you want to be a Christian?

Do religious discussions on RF make you want to be a Christian?

• Total voters

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
For non-Christians only: When you're browsing Religious Forums, and you see discussions on salvation or Church history or any theological topic, do these discussions make Christianity seem appealing, or do these arguments turn you away?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
For non-Christians only: When you're browsing Religious Forums, and you see discussions on salvation or Church history or any theological topic, do these discussions make Christianity seem appealing, or do these arguments turn you away?
Depends.

Watching people nerd out on theological minutiae is fine. I'm happy to engage in nerdy arguments too (e.g. whether the USS Enterprise or a Star Destroyer would win in a fight), so I'm good with that.

... but when I see Christians arguing downright cruel positions... that makes Christianity completely unappealing to me.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

Neither. They help me understand individual Christians, their understanding of their religion, and their motives.

F1fan

Veteran Member
I think the discussions are often fascinating. It amazes me how people can keep believing in Christian concepts after they have been so thoroughly argued against. I've been debating since a1996 and the more I read what Christians believe the less I'm convinced.

It's funny that more fervent believers will assert their view is the ideal version but will acknowledge that other Christians who disagree are still saved. It makes me wonder why they hold on to all the other baggage, and then defend it as ideal, or required. It's apparent they can strip down Christianity and still be saved.

Watchmen

Premium Member
Depends.

Watching people nerd out on theological minutiae is fine. I'm happy to engage in nerdy arguments too (e.g. whether the USS Enterprise or a Star Destroyer would win in a fight), so I'm good with that.

... but when I see Christians arguing downright cruel positions... that makes Christianity completely unappealing to me.
Obviously the Enterprise. She has shields and heavier weapons than a Star Destroyer’ “blasters.” I wonder if they could even penetrate the Enterprise’s shields.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I already have a religion that I believe is true, so it really does not make any difference to me.

Admittedly some of it bothers me however, such as when Christians say any of the following:
1) Atheists are going to hell
2) Jesus rose from the dead
3) Jesus is coming back soon
4) Jesus is the Only Way
5) Christianity is the only true religion

Last edited:

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I know there are some nice believers who make pretty of that religion. But the religion itself is downright awful. I generally feel sorry for the nice people who get caught up in it.

The more I live without Christianity the better I feel. Some believers deserve the thing though. The blindness, the madness, and all the awful judgments I could never live under.

The more I hear about Christianity, the crazier it sounds. It's doom and gloom, and it makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever.

I'm amazed at all the different salvation messages, and the many requirements of believing in order to get to heaven, or paradise. Oops wrong salvation, back to the drawing board lol.

Seriously though, Christianity is a tragedy of human history. A lot of bright minds got caught up in it. RF discussions have not made me draw closer to it. It's one thing to believe in a God, but it's totally another thing to believe in the Christian God.

We sorely need a genuine message of love in the world, but Christianity ain't it at all. I'm reminded of that on RF. I don't need the mythology and mental gymnastics that religion is. The fear of hell, or God, it's a torture trip.

I'm on RF to talk about religion in general, and to learn about all the religions, but Christianity is not one of them. All that human nature is sinful stuff is not healthy to hear. Imagine being told all that stuff as a youth, and being subjected to that stuff day after day. Just awful! Rather it's better to discover one's self independently, and decide for one's self what is right and good, and what never is.

I fought it in real life. RF won't change me toward it.

Audie

Veteran Member

Absolutely the opposite of attracting me.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Obviously the Enterprise. She has shields and heavier weapons than a Star Destroyer’ “blasters.” I wonder if they could even penetrate the Enterprise’s shields.
The Enterprise isn't a warship though, and wasn't built with heavy combat in mind. It would be like a patrol boat going against a battleship.
The Defiant, however, it would likely be an absolute nightmare for the Empire to fight against.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
This is the correct answer, of course.
This is gonna get serious.
The Star Destroyers are meant to be ships of war. They are more heavily armed and shielded than the Enterprise, which is a science vessel and civilian transport ship amd not heavily armed or shielded.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
They are false and to believe in them, IMHO, is foolishness.

Watchmen

Premium Member
The Enterprise isn't a warship though, and wasn't built with heavy combat in mind. It would be like a patrol boat going against a battleship.
The Defiant, however, it would likely be an absolute nightmare for the Empire to fight against.
Agree the Enterprise isn’t a warship but anyship that can go toe to toe with a Borg cube can certainly handle a star destroyer!

Heyo

Veteran Member
Well, there are good arguments and bad arguments and they are for good moral stances and for bad ones. And they all come from "Christians" (whatever that means in the end).
I started a discussion (on another religious discussion site) to determine the essence of Christianity with the present Christians. We couldn't find a single thing.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
No, but not repelling either. I may find them of interest.