• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Non-binary transgender?

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
I'm just interested in the use of words; I have no ill intent towards sexual minorities so don't impute any on me. ;)

In an article in the German Wikipedia describing the meaning of the word "queer", I read about "non-binary transgenders". To be honest, I find these words a bit contradictory. In the basic Latin meaning, trans means
  1. Across, through, over,
  2. to or on the other side of.
So, to me this implies that there is a point A and a point B, and that you have to do something to get across an "obstacle" to reach one "pole". On Youtube, I found a rant of an angry transwoman who perfectly fit the "pretty girl" stereotype even with her voice. She said that her goal was "passing as a woman" and that the "queer ideal" was opposite to this goal. When I was younger, I had some transgender friends. 90% of them were MtF transsexuals or transvestites, and what they were interested in was also "passing as a woman", for example, by wearing petticoats to hide their lower body or by removing beard hair by means of laser treatment. I think the term transgender implies a binary concept. You may find people like bearded men in dresses in show business or fashion business, but I think nobody would seriously believe that their intent is to pass as a pretty girl stereotype.

If things are non-binary nowadays, why undergo change in the first place?

Please discuss.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
It's my idenity. I was always nonbinary. There's no change. I always was nonbinary since I was a kid. Many transgender folk will say they didn't change from one gender to another theyve always been the gender they are. Transwomen will say they've always been a girl and trans men will say they've always been a boy

VoidCat

Also I'd gladly get my boobs removed and have a hysterectomy. Bleeding each month and having boobs gives me gender dysphoria. Some nonbinary folk it differs with each person do undergo surgery and some do socially transition. I've socially transitioned for one thing tho ive never had surgery

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
It is confusing, isn't it? That's why I prefer to call myself a transsexual. Non-binary is a totally different thing and I resent being lumped in with it. It's basically taken over the community now and transsexuals like me are being pushed out of our own spaces. Sorry but I have nothing in common with people like Sam Smith or Demi Lovato, but I'm supposed to consider them "trans" like me? Um, no. "Transgender" used to mean the same thing as "transsexual" - a person who transitions to live as the opposite sex to which they were born. It meant trans men and trans women. Now it's become an umbrella term and lost its meaning. Oh, well. Best to just have your "sex change" and get on with your life, anyway. I'm mostly alienated from the whole thing now. It's no different even from when I was a teen.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
It is confusing, isn't it? That's why I prefer to call myself a transsexual. Non-binary is a totally different thing and I resent being lumped in with it. It's basically taken over the community now and transsexuals like me are being pushed out of our own spaces. Sorry but I have nothing in common with people like Sam Smith or Demi Lovato, but I'm supposed to consider them "trans" like me? Um, no. "Transgender" used to mean the same thing as "transsexual" - a person who transitions to live as the opposite sex to which they were born. It meant trans men and trans women. Now it's become an umbrella term and lost its meaning. Oh, well. Best to just have your "sex change" and get on with your life, anyway. I'm mostly alienated from the whole thing now. It's no different even from when I was a teen.
Sounds like you just got a little power and validation and want to exclude anyone else you perceive as lower on the totem pole.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Sounds like you just got a little power and validation and want to exclude anyone else you perceive as lower on the totem pole.
Oh, go away. You are being so rude and have no idea what you're talking about. What "power" do I have? Yeah, I'm totally calling the shots.

I could go on, but I have nothing to say to you. I can't put you on ignore, unfortunately, but I can manually ignore you. Go ahead and have the last word. I'm not even going to read it.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh, go away. You are being so rude and have no idea what you're talking about. What "power" do I have? Yeah, I'm totally calling the shots.

I could go on, but I have nothing to say to you. I can't put you on ignore, unfortunately, but I can manually ignore you. Go ahead and have the last word. I'm not even going to read it.
Yeah, power. You see the same thing with gay club goers actively excluding bi people as other, stranger, degenerate, not fit for 'our' spaces.

Rather than being tired of the mudiness that inclusivity brings, I'm tired of the nastiness of the purity tests.

Especially since, despite their rudeness, its usually coming from a place of self loathing, trying to make the box easily definable for the blowhard who would never accept them anyway. 'I make sense. Those non-binary people aren't like me because I make sense. Please accept me.'

Anyway, toodles.
Love a non-binary friend today.

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I'm just interested in the use of words; I have no ill intent towards sexual minorities so don't impute any on me. ;)

In an article in the German Wikipedia describing the meaning of the word "queer", I read about "non-binary transgenders". To be honest, I find these words a bit contradictory. In the basic Latin meaning, trans means
  1. Across, through, over,
  2. to or on the other side of.
So, to me this implies that there is a point A and a point B, and that you have to do something to get across an "obstacle" to reach one "pole". On Youtube, I found a rant of an angry transwoman who perfectly fit the "pretty girl" stereotype even with her voice. She said that her goal was "passing as a woman" and that the "queer ideal" was opposite to this goal. When I was younger, I had some transgender friends. 90% of them were MtF transsexuals or transvestites, and what they were interested in was also "passing as a woman", for example, by wearing petticoats to hide their lower body or by removing beard hair by means of laser treatment. I think the term transgender implies a binary concept. You may find people like bearded men in dresses in show business or fashion business, but I think nobody would seriously believe that their intent is to pass as a pretty girl stereotype.

Please discuss.
People just want to pretend they are something they are not, or they are simply too obtuse to properly see themselves realistically.

If one cannot identify oneself with one's own gender it's safe to say such a person isn't working with a full deck.

Orbit

I'm a planet
People just want to pretend they are something they are not, or they are simply too obtuse to properly see themselves realistically.

If one cannot identify oneself with one's own gender it's safe to say such a person isn't working with a full deck.

That is just ignorant. I can't tell if you're serious, it's so bizarre.

VoidCat

Lol. Hardly.

Just stating things as they are.

The ignorant are those who are in denial with their own identity.
*nonbinary silence*

VoidCat

That is just ignorant. I can't tell if you're serious, it's so bizarre.
My thoughts too
Imma just sit here with my genderfluid gods and with my very spiritual/religious views on gender identity including spiritual views on transgenders. I think that's a good idea.

Orbit

I'm a planet
Lol. Hardly.

Just stating things as they are.

The ignorant are those who are in denial with their own identity.

About 2% of people are born intersexed, chromosomally nonbinary. With XYY chromosomes, and other nonbinary combinations. THAT is reality.

Twilight Hue

About 2% of people are born intersexed, chromosomally nonbinary. With XYY chromosomes, and other nonbinary combinations. THAT is reality.

Actually the stat is more commonly along the lines at 1.7% but who's counting?

JDMS

Academic Workhorse

You seem to have a rather binary and closed view about this considering your listed quote... "twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad."

Twilight Hue

You seem to have a rather binary and closed view about this considering your listed quote... "twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad."
Not really when you consider that rare natural 1.7 % seemingly applies to those who are not among that 1.7%.

Actually I regard those that fall into that 1.7% a legitimate 3rd gender, for which that identity is not the issue because they know they fall within that criteria.