• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Non believers/athiests/and similar: what is your view after death and the end of life?

gurthbruins

I believe in God and trust him totally. For that, this life is quite enough.

Parts of the body, in seed-bearing species, such as cats and humans, survive from one generation to the next: there is always some particle that has existed through countless generations. This is physical immortality. Bacteria also possess it.

As for psychological continuity: if I had any recollection of a previous life, I would believe in a "future life" as commonly envisaged by those who do. Not having any such recollection, I have no reason to believe in something that appears such a bizarre concept to me. I do believe that, with most people, it is just wishful thinking, intense dislike of death and fear of same. Such fear is of obvious biological value, and is so explainable.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
The Bible is the best way to find the answer if you believe it is God's word. The Bible teaches us that death is a result of sin Rom 5:12; 6:23
It teaches us what death is also Gen 3:18; Ps 146:4; Ecc 9:5,6,10; 2 Thes 1:9. Death releases or acquits us of sin Rom 6:7 The good news is it is not final Jn 5:28,29

Yes, I just wanted to know the different views only the subject non-believers have. I understand if some of them adopt such beliefs too, but I want to know if they do as the subject non-believers.

Are you one of the subject non-believers who adopted this belief?

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
You know how it felt before you were born? I imagine after death will be a lot like that.

I've already experienced non-existence once. I see no reason to think that the second time will be different.

We also don't remember how we felt right after we were born, or some time after that it could extend to even a couple of years. Although we can never remember how we felt when, for example, we were 3 months old, we still did feel something. Perhaps the case of before being born is the same; we felt something but forgot it and there is no way to tell or know it. Having this said, wouldn't that make it possible that there is something after death? I'm not debating, I just want to know your take in this.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Where's the 'like' button?

Under the reply button (the one you used to quote the post) there is a thumb up icon. That's the like button. The icons next to it are of different expressions. Hover the mouse pointer over them for a moment and it will tell you what each is for.

Welcome to RF.

corynski

Reality First!
Premium Member
When life leaves the body at death, the body appears to return to simpler states of being, it goes back to elemental particles, from whence it came, does it not? But those who profess religion, or 'belief', generally have little respect for the concept of Being, and refer to places such as 'heaven', and concepts such as the 'soul', as actually having Being, as really existing. I don't think this is true. It has not been proven or demonstrated. People speak of a 'god' that has a being, that actually exists, but they can not say what a god's 'Being' actually is. God is 'what'? People are cells of blood and flesh, but no one claims the same for a deity. I suggest we found our reasoning upon that which we know has true being, i.e. upon that which can be measured or weighed, the reality that we feel and touch that surrounds us. Humans have created gods and goddesses, thousands of them throughout history and prehistory....... none of which is 'real'. We appear obsessed with what we desire, but cannot possess, that which we cannot prove, and for which there is little evidence that can be agreed upon.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
We also don't remember how we felt right after we were born, or some time after that it could extend to even a couple of years. Although we can never remember how we felt when, for example, we were 3 months old, we still did feel something. Perhaps the case of before being born is the same; we felt something but forgot it and there is no way to tell or know it. Having this said, wouldn't that make it possible that there is something after death? I'm not debating, I just want to know your take in this.
My take is this: when you establish that it's even possible for a mind to function without brain activity, I might start worrying about this possibility. Once this is established, I'll make a decision about how seriously to take the possibility.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
My take is this: when you establish that it's even possible for a mind to function without brain activity, I might start worrying about this possibility. Once this is established, I'll make a decision about how seriously to take the possibility.

Nicely put.

Thank you for your contribution.

SkepticX

It sucks ... bad contract.

I'm aware of no good evidence at all that suggests part of us somehow survives death (other than the memories of the friends and family and whatever marks that remain, for however long they remain and remember). It's a pretty damn tough pill to swallow, and I truly don't disparage anyone whatever makes it less bitter for them--I find the desire to try and divest believers of that aspect of their religious beliefs a cruelty, schadenfreude. If anything I envy them the ability, or just the option, whatever it may be. I'm also very skeptical of allegations that someone without such comforts as religious beliefs is copacetic with the situation--seems to kinda go against our biology, which generally means denial, but again, I don't disparage them that (even if I may not be okay with any superiority which may be presumed).

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
It sucks ... bad contract.

I'm aware of no good evidence at all that suggests part of us somehow survives death (other than the memories of the friends and family and whatever marks that remain, for however long they remain and remember). It's a pretty damn tough pill to swallow, and I truly don't disparage anyone whatever makes it less bitter for them--I find the desire to try and divest believers of that aspect of their religious beliefs a cruelty, schadenfreude. If anything I envy them the ability, or just the option, whatever it may be. I'm also very skeptical of allegations that someone without such comforts as religious beliefs is copacetic with the situation--seems to kinda go against our biology, which generally means denial, but again, I don't disparage them that (even if I may not be okay with any superiority which may be presumed).

I'm confused! I want to know the different views only the subject non-believers have. I understand if some of them adopt such beliefs too, but I want to know if they do being the subject non-believers.

Are you one of the subject non-believers?

Blastcat

So if you are among them, what do you think happens after you die?

I expect my body to deteriorate quickly.

Is it a complete nothingness?

I have no expectations that my brain will function once it is not functional.

You become a ghost?

I have been given no good reason to believe that superstition.

You can come back to life again?

Some people believe in "reincarnation".
I have been given no good reason to believe that superstition.

The thing is, as an agnostic and a skeptic, I don't pretend to know what I don't really know. I don't HAVE any beliefs about the so called "after life", as I have been given no good reason to believe those superstitions. It might be a bit frustrating when someone is asking for my BELIEFS in the supernatural, or the after life and son on, but you see, I just don't HAVE any beliefs.

I can't give ya what I don't got.

Believers, please don't make fun of it. Don't questions them badly or give passive-aggressive remarks. That won't be tolerated. Do that and you ain't gettin' 'ny shawurma, ya dig?

Mmmm shawurmas.

:)

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I truly don't disparage anyone whatever makes it less bitter for them--I find the desire to try and divest believers of that aspect of their religious beliefs a cruelty, schadenfreude.
I wonder if you would still think so had you been witness to the abuse of that idea that I so often met.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Hello!

I'm posting this here because... I don't know where else to post it basically, and to have it as a non debative (if that's a word) section to not debate it. Please don't debate stuff here.

I'm saying "and similar" on the titles to include all those who don't have a religious belief after death and the end of life. This also includes agnostics and similar.

So if you are among them, what do you think happens after you die? Is it a complete nothingness? You become a ghost? You can come back to life again? Any thing else?

Thank you for sharing. I'll take serious answers with respect.

Important note:
Believers, please don't make fun of it. Don't questions them badly or give passive-aggressive remarks. That won't be tolerated. Do that and you ain't gettin' 'ny shawurma, ya dig?

I believe we go to the same place we were before being born.

Might sound like bad news, but I do not remember having suffered any inconvenience back then.

Ciao

- viole

SkepticX

I'm confused! I want to know the different views only the subject non-believers have. I understand if some of them adopt such beliefs too, but I want to know if they do being the subject non-believers.

Are you one of the subject non-believers?

I'm a non-believer anyway (an atheist, or a technical agnostic for those who I would argue misunderstand the terms), so I gather that makes me a subject ... ? I list my religion as "nun" which just a joke--a misspelling of none because I'm very easily amused.

I wonder if you would still think so had you been witness to the abuse of that idea that I so often met.

I didn't say I'm okay with abuse of those who have this form of comfort. My comments were all anti-cruelty. I'm not sure how that might have been ambiguous at all.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I didn't say I'm okay with abuse of those who have this form of comfort. My comments were all anti-cruelty. I'm not sure how that might have been ambiguous at all.
As I said, I have been personally witnessed (and suffered) considerable cruelty enabled by afterlife beliefs.

Jamesj

Hello!

I'm posting this here because... I don't know where else to post it basically, and to have it as a non debative (if that's a word) section to not debate it. Please don't debate stuff here.

I'm saying "and similar" on the titles to include all those who don't have a religious belief after death and the end of life. This also includes agnostics and similar.

So if you are among them, what do you think happens after you die? Is it a complete nothingness? You become a ghost? You can come back to life again? Any thing else?

Important note:

Jamesj

Hello!

Important note:

You are asking a serious question but the answers you get aren't seriously addressing the issue of life after death. A lot of folks' responses seem to focus on what they can get from this life to justify their existence. Some assume their is nothing after they die and is pointless to think about serious questions of meaning and purpose. BSM1 raised important philosophical questions which none of his respondents have adequately addressed. This is what you will get when anybody's opinion is given serious consideration to this serious question. You end up where you started- really nowhere.

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
How do you know?

Because that's what the evidence points to. It's the only thing the evidence points to.

Don't get me wrong. I don't believe in a plan, rhyme, nor reason to life. Nor do I believe in a "purpose" appointed by a God for your existence. I'm saying that if living is all there is, then why bother?

Because you're here. You have no choice in the matter getting here. You can either make the best of it or you can put a bullet in your brain and leave again. Your call.

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
Yes and you're the kind of person who, when he was in his mothers womb said " at the end of 9 months I'm finished and outta here and no longer exist'.

I didn't say anything because I wasn't capable, at the time, of either speech or cognitive thought.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
You are asking a serious question but the answers you get aren't seriously addressing the issue of life after death. A lot of folks' responses seem to focus on what they can get from this life to justify their existence. Some assume their is nothing after they die and is pointless to think about serious questions of meaning and purpose. BSM1 raised important philosophical questions which none of his respondents have adequately addressed. This is what you will get when anybody's opinion is given serious consideration to this serious question. You end up where you started- really nowhere.

It's okay, maybe you and I see lack of understanding/truth of the situation in their responses, but they may be believing those are the real undisputed answers. Believing is something complicated and we should take that into consideration and if possible respect how it is with those different than us.