• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nominate "Real" Gods

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
Some people are just God-like. What they do for humanity can just never be matched by anyone else. And I've been thinking about these people and what they did to change the world. Sometimes it's hard to imagine human society without these individuals. These people exemplify human creativity and divinity.

I am posting this on Interfaith Discussion because I do not want debates. Instead, I want us to make a long list nominating real human "Gods" that existed and permanently changed our society and culture for the better.

I will start with five (or six) crucial individuals ("Gods") that our lives might not exist the way it does without them. You may not have heard of any of these individuals, but they made a huge impact in our world.

Who: Valentina Vassilyev.
Goddess of What: Fertility.
Why: Birthed 69 children from 27 births.

Who: Norman Borlaug.
God of What: Harvesting.
Why: Fed a billion starving people.

Who: Tim Berners-Lee.
God of What: Computers.
Why: Invented the Internet.

Who: Ryoki Inoue.
God of What: Literature.
Why: Wrote over a thousand books.

Who: Georg Philipp Telemann.
God of What: Music.
Why: Most productive classical composer.

(Joke)

(Who: @Revoltingest .
God of What: Religious Forums.
Why: Over 200,000 posts on Religious Forums.)

Nominate your own real "Gods" (extremely prolific people) in this thread. :)

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
For me quality is greater than quantity so the fertility goddess would be someone who made birthing easier or something, the literature god might be someone who wrote the most useful books, music god is clearly Cliff Burton, and Revoltingest can stay the same.

Exaltist Ethan

For me quality is greater than quantity so the fertility goddess would be someone who made birthing easier or something, the literature god might be someone who wrote the most useful books, music god is clearly Cliff Burton, and Revoltingest can stay the same.

That's great but who would you nominate in other fields?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I thought that Al Gore invented the internet!:D

Actually your guy invented the World Wide Web. The internet existed before then but was much more limited. Al Gore had a hand in it. He pushed for the funding of ARPANET. It has many of the protocols that were used when forming a larger internet/

Exaltist Ethan

I don't really know, I don't think of any human as godly.

Then you shouldn't have even replied to this thread.

I thought that Al Gore invented the internet!:D

Actually your guy invented the World Wide Web. The internet existed before then but was much more limited. Al Gore had a hand in it. He pushed for the funding of ARPANET. It has many of the protocols that were used when forming a larger internet/

Well, he might have not invented computers or the Internet, but he had a huge deal and hand in the creation of it.

Every time I make a thread like this it never really works out. Honestly, I think I'm going to avoid starting new threads because nobody can give me a decent reply and actually think as elaborate as me on the questions I posed. I thought one person by now would give me a reply that was unique, but alas, nobody has my mind and thinks of divinity as a natural thing.

This thread so far was a failure.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Then you shouldn't have even replied to this thread.

Well, he might have not invented computers or the Internet, but he had a huge deal and hand in the creation of it.

Every time I make a thread like this it never really works out. Honestly, I think I'm going to avoid starting new threads because nobody can give me a decent reply and actually think as elaborate as me on the questions I posed. I thought one person by now would give me a reply that was unique, but alas, nobody has my mind and thinks of divinity as a natural thing.

This thread so far was a failure.
The problem is that when it comes to inventions it is quite often improper to attribute it to any one person. Just as during the Covid epidemic a vaccine denier tried to claim that he was the inventor of the Covid vaccines since he had an early hand in the technology that led to them. Some of your examples look to be valid. Some are not.

Exaltist Ethan

The problem is that when it comes to inventions it is quite often improper to attribute it to any one person. Just as during the Covid epidemic a vaccine denier tried to claim that he was the inventor of the Covid vaccines since he had an early hand in the technology that led to them. Some of your examples look to be valid. Some are not.

Dude, I really, really, really do not care about that. This thread was not to debate what the Gods should be, this is not in a debate forum. I posted this to encourage others to nominate their own Gods, based on people that actually lived and represented that thing they represent, not to have petty argue with atheists about how to properly deify someone. Please, if you are going to post here again offer content of nominations, like my original post suggested. You’re wasting my time with your petty irrelevant irreligious squabble.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Dude, I really, really, really do not care about that. This thread was not to debate what the Gods should be, this is not in a debate forum. I posted this to encourage others to nominate their own Gods, based on people that actually lived and represented that thing they represent, not to have petty argue with atheists about how to properly deify someone. Please, if you are going to post here again offer content of nominations, like my original post suggested. You’re wasting my time with your petty irrelevant irreligious squabble.
Oh my!!! Someone is a bit touchy. There was no debating. Just a clarification. And why are you trying to bring religion into a nonreligious matter? It appears that you may be a bit of a bigot.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Who: Bahaollah
God of what: God of gab.
Why: "His body of work is equivalent to more than 100 volumes - some 15,000 items have been identified and authenticated*; if compiled they would be greater than 70 times the size of the Qur’an and more than 15 times the size of all books of the Bible’s Old and New Testaments combined."
Baháʼu'lláh - Wikipedia
* And that is not all. I am told that there may still be more writings that have not been translated.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Can I nominate my cat, Swatty? He is regal enough to be godly. And he's not quite connected with this 'realm'... (he's quite eccentric)

Heyo

Veteran Member
Some people are just God-like. What they do for humanity can just never be matched by anyone else. And I've been thinking about these people and what they did to change the world. Sometimes it's hard to imagine human society without these individuals. These people exemplify human creativity and divinity.

I am posting this on Interfaith Discussion because I do not want debates. Instead, I want us to make a long list nominating real human "Gods" that existed and permanently changed our society and culture for the better.

I will start with five (or six) crucial individuals ("Gods") that our lives might not exist the way it does without them. You may not have heard of any of these individuals, but they made a huge impact in our world.

Who: Valentina Vassilyev.
Goddess of What: Fertility.
Why: Birthed 69 children from 27 births.

Who: Norman Borlaug.
God of What: Harvesting.
Why: Fed a billion starving people.

Who: Ryoki Inoue.
God of What: Literature.
Why: Wrote over a thousand books.

Who: Georg Philipp Telemann.
God of What: Music.
Why: Most productive classical composer.

(Joke)

(Who: @Revoltingest .
God of What: Religious Forums.
Why: Over 200,000 posts on Religious Forums.)

Clapton is god.

Goddess of knowledge: Alexandra Elbakyan

Why? Large sections of scientific and scholarly knowledge were held behind paywalls, only accessible to a tiny percentage of the world's population who were affiliated with institutions willing to pay the exorbitant fees to access academic journal databases.

Then Ms Elbakyan created a powerful technology, sci-hub, that made this knowledge freely available to the masses rather than being the preserve of a tiny elite, and a cash cow for greedy and immoral corporations who profited from keeping the world in darkness.

A modern day Prometheus who should be much better known.

PureX

Veteran Member
You wanted a bit too much control and now you're disappointed. Perhaps there is a lesson here.

Exaltist Ethan

Oh my!!! Someone is a bit touchy. There was no debating. Just a clarification. And why are you trying to bring religion into a nonreligious matter? It appears that you may be a bit of a bigot.

Because as a spiritual naturalist everything has in some way a spiritual nature to me. I consider everything to be divine in some way, and I wanted to spread that radiance of positive spirituality within myself and towards others.

Who: Bahaollah
God of what: God of gab.
Why: "His body of work is equivalent to more than 100 volumes - some 15,000 items have been identified and authenticated*; if compiled they would be greater than 70 times the size of the Qur’an and more than 15 times the size of all books of the Bible’s Old and New Testaments combined."
Baháʼu'lláh - Wikipedia
* And that is not all. I am told that there may still be more writings that have not been translated.

Fair enough. Baha'u'llah is now the God of Gab. :D

Can I nominate my cat, Swatty? He is regal enough to be godly. And he's not quite connected with this 'realm'... (he's quite eccentric)

You need to mention what Swatty is God of.

God of Swatting, of course!

JustGeorge's cat Swatty is now the God of Swatting. :D

You wanted a bit too much control and now you're disappointed. Perhaps there is a lesson here.

I just wanted you guys to post like this...

Goddess of knowledge: Alexandra Elbakyan

Why? Large sections of scientific and scholarly knowledge were held behind paywalls, only accessible to a tiny percentage of the world's population who were affiliated with institutions willing to pay the exorbitant fees to access academic journal databases.

Then Ms Elbakyan created a powerful technology, sci-hub, that made this knowledge freely available to the masses rather than being the preserve of a tiny elite, and a cash cow for greedy and immoral corporations who profited from keeping the world in darkness.

A modern day Prometheus who should be much better known.

What a perfect entry! I didn't know anything about this woman, but she is definitely the Goddess of knowledge!

Have fun with this concept! What about yourself? If you could deify yourself, what would you be the God of?

Who: Exaltist Ethan (Ethan Tyler Reilly).
God of What: Spotify Playlists.
Why: Created over 400 Spotify playlists.

Last edited: