• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nodding one's head forward in church.

Jonathan Bailey

Is somebody sleeping, praying or mediation in their pew when their head is downward?

Is it really bad manners to sleep in church during a sermon?

I think this is the reason why some preachers have such a loud voice.

They don't want to bore their fold to sleep.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
I don't know, I purposely went to a primarily black church years ago just to see what was up, black children turned their heads to look at me whom I smiled and waved at. The pastor in charge looked directly at me and then immediately spoke of a "white devil that tries to divide" I laughed, excused myself and walked out.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Is somebody sleeping, praying or mediation in their pew when their head is downward?

All the many times I was able to grab a bit of shut-eye.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I don't know, I purposely went to a primarily black church years ago just to see what was up, black children turned their heads to look at me whom I smiled and waved at. The pastor in charge looked directly at me and then immediately spoke of a "white devil that tries to divide" I laughed, excused myself and walked out.
I didn't know there were any all black churches in St Petersburg. :D

exchemist

Veteran Member

Their heads could be bowed for a number of reasons. Prayer or expressing reverence would be the most likely explanation if they are kneeling. If they are sitting and have a bowed head during the sermon, they might be trying to think clearly about what is being said, or they might be following an independent train of thought - or indeed they might possibly be nodding off. (I have been known to read the bass harmony for the forthcoming hymns, if the sermon is dull.)

As for your second question, the answer is obvious.

Personally I detest preachers with very loud voices. The best sermons in my opinion are concise and hold the listener's attention by means of interesting stories, humour or other oratorical skills, rather than by just bellowing.