• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nobody should believe their alleged divine personal revelations

Erebus

@serp777 If you're not arguing that personal experience is useless, I got the wrong impression and I apologise for that. I still feel that much of what I wrote is valid here though.

To give you an idea of where I'm at, I'm inclined to agree with you that a divine experience probably hasn't revealed cosmic truths to a person. You can probably gather that I'm of the opinion that humans in general are in a poor position to declare knowledge of cosmic truths.

Furthermore, I agree that not all experiences are worthy of equal consideration. However, I probably interpret that a little differently to you. My toast example isn't particularly worthy of consideration since the reality or unreality of it hinges in a "brain in a jar" scenario. That's something that I personally feel we just have to shrug our shoulders and accept our limitations with. Similarly, to me personally, somebody telling me that God spoke to them and declared all the gays to be damned isn't worthy of my time.

See how I sort things into real or not real without all that much investigation myself? ;)

Here's the part where we're probably going to disagree. To the person who believes god spoke to them, that experience almost certainly is worthy of consideration. As an outsider to that experience, I'm just not in a position to tell them what they ought to believe about it. I can certainly make up my own mind about their experience and I can oppose them if they were to try and act on their belief, perhaps by attempting to deny gay people their rights. I can think what I like about them and their experience.

What I can't do is decide on the validity of that experience for them. To use my earlier analogy, I'm just another cave fish trying to make sense of things as best I can.

DennisTate

Its simply not possible to prove a divine revelation to yourself. How did you determine that aliens aren't experimenting on you and trying to make you believe a fairy tale? Maybe they are trying to see what they can get humans to believe by messing with certain neurotransmitters. Or maybe its Satan that's revealed himself to you and is tricking you to convince you to believe the wrong thing such that you'll go to hell. The reason these are fair considerations to bring up is because you can't determine what is likely or unlikely when it comes to the supernatural.

I find it bizarre that people always just accept their personal revelations without even questioning them. There's simply no way a personal revelation would prove the truths you supposedly learned from that revelation. Its circular reason: the personal revelation is true because it came from God/ the supernatural, and God/the supernatural exists because I got a personal revelation. Its 100% fallacious.

That is actually a quite good theory!

Spirituality

What about beings from other planets, do you think they visit here?

Yes I do. And I think those who have been permitted to cross over into our world have been doing so for a very long time now (for a very important purpose) as Divinely arranged by Heaven. Since my NDE, because of a few things I was shown, it is now my deep belief that some of the more phenomenal events depicted in the Old Testament (such as the Great flood of Noah, the parting of the Red Sea for Moses, the mass explosion of Sodom and Gomorrah, etc) are not only very true, but were moments in time which were orchestrated and performed by beings of a much higher order and intelligence than our ownwho may have volunteered their technology and understandings or even sent to help guide and shape a culture within humanity during a pressing time within its development and evolution.

Muffled

Jesus in me
@serp777 If you're not arguing that personal experience is useless, I got the wrong impression and I apologise for that. I still feel that much of what I wrote is valid here though.

To give you an idea of where I'm at, I'm inclined to agree with you that a divine experience probably hasn't revealed cosmic truths to a person. You can probably gather that I'm of the opinion that humans in general are in a poor position to declare knowledge of cosmic truths.

Furthermore, I agree that not all experiences are worthy of equal consideration. However, I probably interpret that a little differently to you. My toast example isn't particularly worthy of consideration since the reality or unreality of it hinges in a "brain in a jar" scenario. That's something that I personally feel we just have to shrug our shoulders and accept our limitations with. Similarly, to me personally, somebody telling me that God spoke to them and declared all the gays to be damned isn't worthy of my time.

See how I sort things into real or not real without all that much investigation myself? ;)

Here's the part where we're probably going to disagree. To the person who believes god spoke to them, that experience almost certainly is worthy of consideration. As an outsider to that experience, I'm just not in a position to tell them what they ought to believe about it. I can certainly make up my own mind about their experience and I can oppose them if they were to try and act on their belief, perhaps by attempting to deny gay people their rights. I can think what I like about them and their experience.

What I can't do is decide on the validity of that experience for them. To use my earlier analogy, I'm just another cave fish trying to make sense of things as best I can.

I believe you are measuring what is divine on your own personal beliefs. Does that mean you think you are God?

I believe that is not what is usually happening. What is happening is that people are declaring rights when there is no inherent right. So there are those who reject the concept of rights that people do not really have.