• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nobody knows you

Spiderman

Veteran Member
A different version of you exists in the minds of everyone who knows you... therefore, nobody knows you.

I know from relationships that I wasn't really in love with the person but in love with a fantasy of who I thought she was.

People are constantly finding out their spouse wasn't who they believed them to be or sometimes you will hear people getting raped or murdered by someone they knew and trusted.

You don't know who that person in front of you is. Sociopaths have a reputation for being charming and likeable.

During Ted Bundy's trial a republican politician said Ted seemed like someone he would want his daughter to date.
d61e7cfcfc55aaad0d84ba85885841cb.jpg

Don't you think everyone has another side to them that is not even known fully or understood by family and friends? It's kinda creepy! Makes me suspicious of everyone and unable to trust my ability to discern who can be trusted.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
You have to go on your gut instinct until proven right or wrong.

A Vestigial Mote

It is more or less true, yes. I believe there are parts of each and every adult person that rarely (or even do not ever) see the light of day. The reason I stressed "adult" is because kids DO let their each and every thought enter discussion at the beginnings of their lives - but they are quickly taught or find out what is acceptable in common discourse, and what is not. And what is not (that they STILL think on) gets kept to themselves.

I think it is simply a part of being a social species capable of abstract thought. We can formulate thoughts of things that haven't happened (or even those that cannot happen) to fill the void where our desires often grow. Should all of these things be shared with the rest of our social surrounding? Some of them likely cannot be without harsh backlash and bridges burned, because people are very much afraid in a great many ways. Of some things they are probably justified in that fear, and others they couldn't even point to a justifiable reason to save their lives.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
A different version of you exists in the minds of everyone who knows you... therefore, nobody knows you.

I know from relationships that I wasn't really in love with the person but in love with a fantasy of who I thought she was.

People are constantly finding out their spouse wasn't who they believed them to be or sometimes you will hear people getting raped or murdered by someone they knew and trusted.

You don't know who that person in front of you is. Sociopaths have a reputation for being charming and likeable.

During Ted Bundy's trial a republican politician said Ted seemed like someone he would want his daughter to date.
View attachment 36858

Don't you think everyone has another side to them that is not even known fully or understood by family and friends? It's kinda creepy! Makes me suspicious of everyone and unable to trust my ability to discern who can be trusted.
Life is full of risks. Most days there are many ways that any of us might be killed or worse, that we can’t possibly see or prevent.

One way for people to get to know each other, and help improve the lives of others at the same time, is working side by side in some kind of community service. I think that can happen with any people anywhere, online or offline, including in these forums.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
You can have a different personality with different people and in different environments, without hiding any of that from people who know you best. Maybe, the less you fool people about who you are, the less you will be fooled about who they are. A lot if the fooling we do is unconscious, and fooling ourselves, but there might be ways for anyone to grow out of that if they want to.

sciatica

Notable Member

View attachment 36858

This is your most interesting thread so far. Its a good theme. maybe you should explore it further.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
Makes me suspicious of everyone and unable to trust my ability to discern who can be trusted.
Maybe, the more you learn to be honest with yourself and others about your interests, capacities, motives and intentions, the less that other people will be able to fool you about theirs.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
i thought you preferred facts

Facts and evidence.

Facts influence gut instinct but until you have something substantial to work with one must rely and past experience which also influences gug instinct

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

View attachment 36858

No doubt.

I remember the Mark Twain quote....

“Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody.” ― Mark Twain.

Thief

Rogue Theologian

ok....so.....

I have this avatar.....

I have a call name....Thief

I withhold personal info

and though I have quoted your op......I am NOT a crook

no wait......bad quote