• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nobody accepts defeat in a religious debate

krsnaraja

There`s a post from Thief somewhere who said he has never been defeated. You mean nobody accepts defeat in this religious debate forum? There is no sense continuing a debate in this forum if nobody among us here accepts defeat!

krsnaraja

Why don`t we change the category of religious debates forum to share your views forum. It`s wholesome & devoid of side effects. Like after a debate, a debater being laughed at says, " Hope you`ll get run over by a big dog!" or " Hope your a-- gets stung by a bee!"

krsnaraja

Debaters who say its fun are those who are good at grammar & who has the command of the English language. & those who are not are left to fend for themselves. That`s rather unfair! :facepalm:

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I've accepted defeat a few times. I've also silently backed out of debates several times, which is typically a way of me realizing "Okay, I really don't have any ground to stand on" and/or "I have no idea what I'm talking about."

krsnaraja

I've accepted defeat a few times. I've also silently backed out of debates several times, which is typically a way of me realizing "Okay, I really don't have any ground to stand on" and/or "I have no idea what I'm talking about."

That`s what I call humility. Keep up with the good work, my friend. You earned my accolade. I know you were a good guy err wolf. awoOOhh! ;)

Me Myself

Back to my username
I come here to listen to peoplpe and to share my opinion. I love the fact of sharing and comparing ideas and I am not here colecting "winnings".

Debates are not a means to an end for me, but a mean in itself. If the debate ceases to be fun for me, I back out.

There is a saying that goes something like "I won many debates with people smarter than me, but I´ve never won any debate with an irrational person" (I am probably paraphrasing a lot)

So it´s not about winning, it´s about knowing more of myself while I post and be in comunion with others who have similar AND opposing ideas.

atanu

Premium Member
There`s a post from Thief somewhere who said he has never been defeated. You mean nobody accepts defeat in this religious debate forum? There is no sense continuing a debate in this forum if nobody among us here accepts defeat!

I have already been defeated so i will never accept your suggestion in this post.:p

outhouse

Atheistically

there are some peole that will not let their personal dogma or lack of ,,,,go.

I find brainwashing hard to reverse with education, reason and logic.

Me Myself

Back to my username
there are some peole that will not let their personal dogma or lack of ,,,,go.

I find brainwashing hard to reverse with education, reason and logic.

At contrair, I find brain intoxication to be quite the problem. Mental higyene should be the solution.

Good thing the brain is one of those things that become cleaner the more you use them :D

Last edited:
It's true that people rarely accept defeat in these debates. But personally I have accepted defeat in political and religious debates. Here, for example (in particular post #18).

krsnaraja

Many do not accept defeat in religious debates simply because they`re afraid they might be described as not very intelligent. Take for example playing chess. A good chess player does not like to play chess with a not-so-good chess player lest he will remain just another good chess player. He rather play chess with an international master. But the international master does not like to play chess with a good chess player lest he will remain just that- an international master. He dreams of playing with a grandmaster. But a grandmaster does not like to play chess with an international master lest he will be defeated by an international master. & it`s a shame. So, a grandmaster plays chess with a grandmaster. An international chess master plays with an international chess master. The good chess player plays chess with a good chess player. & a mediocre chess player plays chess with a mediocre chess player. Can`t you see my point here? In a religious debate nobody likes to debate if you are a good debater with a mediocre debater lest the former is defeated & it would be a shame.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Can`t you see my point here? In a religious debate nobody likes to debate if you are a good debater with a mediocre debater lest the former is defeated & it would be a shame.

idk, I get excited when I like the way someone else is responding to my posts in an opposing manner.

The way I see it two posters with similar amount of knowledge can learn alot from each other as long as their knowledge even if equiparable in quantity is still given in different areas of such matter.

This is not chess, and the angles and ways of moving are much more subjective, the emotions at play mkuch more important because they ar ein themselves the pieces and the factors of the game.

I just don´t think most people here are thinking on "winning" or "losing". Most of us are simply having fun attacking and defending :D, at least I´ll say I am.

In this attacking and defending we learn, but the battle is not meant to be won.

It´s not like tomorrow somebody will prove God exists, or will prove that he doesn´t and nobody else never will discuss about it in the forum because the winner argument has already being achieved.

I say the fact that there are no conclusive winnings and losings is a big part of the charm here, least for me.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

If no one accepts defeat in a religious debate, what does that say about making defeating someone the point of religious debating?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Whether someone is willing to admit defeat might also depend on one's opponent and whether they're capable of being magnanimous and gracious in victory. The problem with admitting defeat is that there are some people who will never let you forget it.

Erebus

Why accept "defeat" in a debate? Surely it's better to come to a mutual understanding? I don't know how many times I've said "ok I see your point" and had other people say the same to me, yet I've never claimed to have been defeated or to have defeated another. It's not the point of debate IMO :)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Sometimes the irony is that the loser is the winner, because they were able to allow enough release of their ego to let go the emotion of the debate. Meanwhile, the 'winner' steams ahead.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
If no one accepts defeat in a religious debate, what does that say about making defeating someone the point of religious debating?
In most formal debates in RL, defeating another debater isn't determined by asking whether he or she concedes the defeat, but by gauging the audience's reaction.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I have, on occasion, accepted defeat. Sometimes I do without openly admitting it :D