• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Noah's flood story, did it happen?

SA Huguenot

A few months ago I opened a thread about the Biblical description of Creation, and whether science disproved the Bible on its description.
It was a very nice debate with some very intellectual members, and I must admit, that there were quite a few new arguments that came to the front, which I never seen before. Be as it may, my conclusion on the discussion is that there are no evidence in science to disprove the creation narrative, but just as scientists makes assumptions about how eveerything came into being, it is very easy for the Biblical apologist to be ready with other assumptions which is equally sound and not easily debunked.
Therefore, I have yet to see any evidence in science in contradiction with the Bible.

However, there were quite a few members that continiously arrived at another argument, to validate their viewpoint that the Bible is a compilation of mythology, and not scientific at all.
That argument is...the Noah's flood story...

Again, if one were to read the story of this global flood, and dont want to take many, or as much factors, into consideration to allow the Biblical narative to explain itself, then with a superficial bias are able to discard the story as far fetched made up.

What do I mean with superficial?
Well, a "Global flood"?
One filling the earth to about 20 meters above the highest mountains?
"Are you serious?", the question normally goes, " 20 meters above Everest?
Everest is what, 8850 meters high! If the earth was covered with 8850 meters of water...
"Where did the Water come from, and where did it go?"

Questions such as the one above is not asked by simply normal joes such as you and I, nope, this is asked by highly educated scientists.
And guess what?
This simple question is actually a statement, by mostly bias thought, not as a question, but as a statement:
And that statement is: "Are you serious? you dont understand a simple logical statement which your Bible speaks about. Only a very stupid uneducated person will believe that there was billions of cubic miles of water covering Everest and the rest of the Earth, without even considering that this water had to come from somewhare, and we dont see that volume everywhere at all today! So where is that water!

If I remember, Carl Sagan asked the exact same question.

From my point of view, I was amased that such highly educated scientists would be so superficial on their observation. let me demonstrate how this strawpuppet they created simply burns out once we take everything into consideration.

When the Earth took shape in the Nebular cloud, and collected ice, gas and other materials, it grew bigger and eventually reached the aproximate size it has today. However, there are many things to consider.
1. The Earth would be much smoother, for there was no continental plate movement in its infancy, therefore when this icy collection warmed up on the surface of the Earth, water appeared, and flowed to areas which was lower than the rest.
2. The crust of this Earth would also thaw out, and would start to "shrink" into itself. As it shrinked, it built up preasure beneath the crust, which had a lot of water in its enterior. (Think of the Russian Cola deep which discovered more water in the rocks that scientists ever thought possible, and the oceans of water collected beneath China in woodite that contains more water than the oceans of the Earth put together.)
3. There must also have been huge quantities of water and ice in and beyond the Earth's atmosphere, which scientists today find very viable after their discoveries of cie rings on moons and planets in our solar system we never previously knew about.

Now that we have the foundations correct on what the Earth looked like after it took shape to before the flood, lets see what happened.

The Earth was a wet and soggy entity. The inland continent was hugh marsh lands and swamps. Evidence that dinosaurs could never have walked on land with their huge boddies, is evidence that they were either reptillian or amphibian. Therefore, taken the above into account, the continents did not appear as it does today.

If the Bible spaeks about high mountains, it speaks of mountains that appeared after the flood, which was perhaps less than 500 meters above sea level before the event.

Good, then for some or other reason, the Earth's crust collapsed into itself, creating a huge crack curcumventing the Earth twice, pushing this water out from below 50 miles of surface, gushing this water out at supersonic speeds, into and way passed the atmosphere.

We have to consider the following factor.
It the Earth's crust fell in upon itself, DUE TO THE INCREASE OF GRAVITY, then the icy ring around the Earth was drawn in from space and rained down on the Earth in water and Ice. Heat generated in this event would turn into snow at the poles, and created one huge Ice age.
As the earth changed from the shape of a nice smooth passionfruit, into a contracted shape of a dried pasionfruit, mountains formed with the earth crust contracting.

This was when mountains took shape.
Another factor to keep in mind is the description of the atmosphere from the Bible.
The Bible says that before the flood, it did not rain but a mist rose from the Earth and wet the land. This will be understandable if we take into consideration that the Earth shaped from solids liquid and Gas as per the understanding from the Nebular theory.

However, after the flood A RAINBOW APPEARED FOR THE FIRST TIME!
which means in scientific terms that for the first time the atmosphere was cleared from all its water, and refraction of light was observed.

Now, this had its consequences too. A clear atmosphere will now allow ultraviolet and cosmic radiation, which will on turn, reduce the lifespan of humans. Exactly what we saw happened.

Anyhow, I hope this will be a nice discussion going forward, and I urge anyone who would like to join in, to please take one step at a time.
Nothing is so frustrating as someone coppying and pasting a lot of claims, not expecting any answer.

Greetings

Colt

Noah's flood legend (which was a localized flood) was a "genealogical devise" used by the Hebrew authors of the scripture when they were attempting to trace their blood lines back to ancient Adam. Unable to do so they decided to expand the Noahic legend to "drown the whole world in its own wickedness" in order to fill the gap. The motive was to establish an authoritative line of decent for the Israelites. These scriptures were finalized in Babylon after the loss of the first Temple and their nation.

The greatest problem with the ridiculous flood story is the claim that God regretted his creation and decided to start over again. "The Lord regretted that he had made human beings on the earth, and his heart was deeply troubled. 7 So the Lord said, “I will wipe from the face of the earth the human race I have created—and with them the animals, the birds and the creatures that move along the ground—for I regret that I have made them.”

The story has all of the races in the world coming from Noah's mixed race family beginning 2472 BC. The races and their cultures are much older than that.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
So if earth contained at least 80 times more water than currently exists on this planet today, and the amount of water is increasing from the continuing meteors falling to earth. How come other nearby planet made from the same stellar material are, for the most, dry.

Actually to form a rainbow the atmosphere must contain water, a rainbow is caused by sunlight being refracted by that eater

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
A few months ago I opened a thread about the Biblical description of Creation, and whether science disproved the Bible on its description.
It was a very nice debate with some very intellectual members, and I must admit, that there were quite a few new arguments that came to the front, which I never seen before. Be as it may, my conclusion on the discussion is that there are no evidence in science to disprove the creation narrative, but just as scientists makes assumptions about how eveerything came into being, it is very easy for the Biblical apologist to be ready with other assumptions which is equally sound and not easily debunked.
Therefore, I have yet to see any evidence in science in contradiction with the Bible.

However, there were quite a few members that continiously arrived at another argument, to validate their viewpoint that the Bible is a compilation of mythology, and not scientific at all.
That argument is...the Noah's flood story...

Again, if one were to read the story of this global flood, and dont want to take many, or as much factors, into consideration to allow the Biblical narative to explain itself, then with a superficial bias are able to discard the story as far fetched made up.

What do I mean with superficial?
Well, a "Global flood"?
One filling the earth to about 20 meters above the highest mountains?
"Are you serious?", the question normally goes, " 20 meters above Everest?
Everest is what, 8850 meters high! If the earth was covered with 8850 meters of water...
"Where did the Water come from, and where did it go?"

Questions such as the one above is not asked by simply normal joes such as you and I, nope, this is asked by highly educated scientists.
And guess what?
This simple question is actually a statement, by mostly bias thought, not as a question, but as a statement:
And that statement is: "Are you serious? you dont understand a simple logical statement which your Bible speaks about. Only a very stupid uneducated person will believe that there was billions of cubic miles of water covering Everest and the rest of the Earth, without even considering that this water had to come from somewhare, and we dont see that volume everywhere at all today! So where is that water!

If I remember, Carl Sagan asked the exact same question.

From my point of view, I was amased that such highly educated scientists would be so superficial on their observation. let me demonstrate how this strawpuppet they created simply burns out once we take everything into consideration.

When the Earth took shape in the Nebular cloud, and collected ice, gas and other materials, it grew bigger and eventually reached the aproximate size it has today. However, there are many things to consider.
1. The Earth would be much smoother, for there was no continental plate movement in its infancy, therefore when this icy collection warmed up on the surface of the Earth, water appeared, and flowed to areas which was lower than the rest.
2. The crust of this Earth would also thaw out, and would start to "shrink" into itself. As it shrinked, it built up preasure beneath the crust, which had a lot of water in its enterior. (Think of the Russian Cola deep which discovered more water in the rocks that scientists ever thought possible, and the oceans of water collected beneath China in woodite that contains more water than the oceans of the Earth put together.)
3. There must also have been huge quantities of water and ice in and beyond the Earth's atmosphere, which scientists today find very viable after their discoveries of cie rings on moons and planets in our solar system we never previously knew about.

Now that we have the foundations correct on what the Earth looked like after it took shape to before the flood, lets see what happened.

The Earth was a wet and soggy entity. The inland continent was hugh marsh lands and swamps. Evidence that dinosaurs could never have walked on land with their huge boddies, is evidence that they were either reptillian or amphibian. Therefore, taken the above into account, the continents did not appear as it does today.

If the Bible spaeks about high mountains, it speaks of mountains that appeared after the flood, which was perhaps less than 500 meters above sea level before the event.

Good, then for some or other reason, the Earth's crust collapsed into itself, creating a huge crack curcumventing the Earth twice, pushing this water out from below 50 miles of surface, gushing this water out at supersonic speeds, into and way passed the atmosphere.

We have to consider the following factor.
It the Earth's crust fell in upon itself, DUE TO THE INCREASE OF GRAVITY, then the icy ring around the Earth was drawn in from space and rained down on the Earth in water and Ice. Heat generated in this event would turn into snow at the poles, and created one huge Ice age.
As the earth changed from the shape of a nice smooth passionfruit, into a contracted shape of a dried pasionfruit, mountains formed with the earth crust contracting.

This was when mountains took shape.
Another factor to keep in mind is the description of the atmosphere from the Bible.
The Bible says that before the flood, it did not rain but a mist rose from the Earth and wet the land. This will be understandable if we take into consideration that the Earth shaped from solids liquid and Gas as per the understanding from the Nebular theory.

However, after the flood A RAINBOW APPEARED FOR THE FIRST TIME!
which means in scientific terms that for the first time the atmosphere was cleared from all its water, and refraction of light was observed.

Now, this had its consequences too. A clear atmosphere will now allow ultraviolet and cosmic radiation, which will on turn, reduce the lifespan of humans. Exactly what we saw happened.

Anyhow, I hope this will be a nice discussion going forward, and I urge anyone who would like to join in, to please take one step at a time.
Nothing is so frustrating as someone coppying and pasting a lot of claims, not expecting any answer.

Greetings

Why making it so complicated? I find it puzzling that people go crazy to explain a supernatural event via naturalistic processes. It is like explaining Jesus ascension to Heaven in terms of rockets under His sandals, or some local temporary gravitational anomaly, and such.

According to the myth, it was a supernatural event. Therefore, all the apologist has to do, is invoke a miracle. Water from nowhere and flowing back into nowhere. Why not?

Ciao

- viole

Nimos

So Mount Everest started forming for about 65 million years ago. The homosapiens are estimated to be around 200 thousand years old give or take. But humans were on the Earth before the flood, so Mount Everest must have been created in that short period after the flood?

And we have evidence of this? How did anyone survive this animals and humans?

If the whole Earth crust collapse in on itself, I would expect a complete extinction of all life and most likely Earth would be one huge inferno. With steam from the water being so hot that it would cook everything alive that weren't killed in the initial collapse of the crust. How many years do you think it would take for Earth to recover from this, if ever? Given that humans are not especially old, the Earth should have recovered from such thing in far less than 200000 years, to have time to create all the rainforests, new plant life. And all the oil in the ground, which apparently take around 50 million years to form, why weren't that expelled with supersonic speed into space?

Im sorry, but I don't see how this is ever going to fit together.

SA Huguenot

Noah's flood legend (which was a localized flood) was a "genealogical devise" used by the Hebrew authors of the scripture when they were attempting to trace their blood lines back to ancient Adam. Unable to do so they decided to expand the Noahic legend to "drown the whole world in its own wickedness" in order to fill the gap. The motive was to establish an authoritative line of decent for the Israelites. These scriptures were finalized in Babylon after the loss of the first Temple and their nation.

The greatest problem with the ridiculous flood story is the claim that God regretted his creation and decided to start over again. "The Lord regretted that he had made human beings on the earth, and his heart was deeply troubled. 7 So the Lord said, “I will wipe from the face of the earth the human race I have created—and with them the animals, the birds and the creatures that move along the ground—for I regret that I have made them.”

The story has all of the races in the world coming from Noah's mixed race family beginning 2472 BC. The races and their cultures are much older than that.
OK.

SA Huguenot

So if earth contained at least 80 times more water than currently exists on this planet today, and the amount of water is increasing from the continuing meteors falling to earth. How come other nearby planet made from the same stellar material are, for the most, dry.

Actually to form a rainbow the atmosphere must contain water, a rainbow is caused by sunlight being refracted by that eater
All the planets had water when they formed from the Nebular cloud.
Even the moon, and moons of other planets in the solar system.
The idea that only the earth has water, is already proven false with visits and tests on Venus and Mars.

Unfortunately, I do not think human kind will ever drill holes as deep on Venus, Mars and the moon, as what we did on Earth, therefore, to find woodite in space will remain out of our grasp.
That there was water on the other planets, is a fact. That they lost it because of various reasons, was established over the past 50 years.
As for meteors, their water isotopes does not math the water on earth, and the old scientific theory that meteors delivered water to the earth, was proven incorrect.
I am in a hurry, but there is ample websites explaining it.

As for the earth containing 80 times more water now than before, is news.
I will make time tonight to research that claim.
Greetings

SA Huguenot

Are we seriously doing this again?
Yip, by request of someone who just did not like the Nebular theory from Genesis fact.
They need the Noah's flood theory discussion, in an attempt to prove the creation story of the Bible wrong.
So, I dont mind, perhaps I will learn a lot too.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Noah's flood legend (which was a localized flood) was a "genealogical devise" used by the Hebrew authors of the scripture when they were attempting to trace their blood lines back to ancient Adam. ...
It's nice to see that you've cleaned up your little antisemitic flourish from two years ago ...
A much smaller, localized flood legend was exploited and used as a genealogical devise in an effort to establish religious authority as well as the chosen people arrogance.
BTW, do you now put "genealogical device" in quotes because you previously employed that term? Really? :D
(Far better would have been something akin to "etiological tale.")

SA Huguenot

Why making it so complicated? I find it puzzling that people go crazy to explain a supernatural event via naturalistic processes. It is like explaining Jesus ascension to Heaven in terms of rockets under His sandals, or some local temporary gravitational anomaly, and such.

According to the myth, it was a supernatural event. Therefore, all the apologist has to do, is invoke a miracle. Water from nowhere and flowing back into nowhere. Why not?

Ciao

- viole
Oh, but is not now wonderfull to learn how the hand of God shaped and guided this natural phenomina to become a miracle?
Will it not be incredible if we can get only a single flash of God's intellect.
Even id deducted by investigating a Book that for 3500 years never changed, and challenged flawed science for the last 500 years

Native

Free Natural Philosopher & Comparative Mythologist
If/when scholars have no ideas of the ancient cultural Myths of Creation and it´s symbolic astronomical and cosmological content, the interpretations goes very badly.

At the most, the cultural stories of creation deals with the pre-conditions and factual conditions of the creation of the Milky Way and the creation of the Solar System.

The whitish Milky Way band in the night Sky was given different names and symbols in different cultures, especially names inspired by terrestrial rivers, hence the mythical Milky Way River which is running all around the Earth in the Sky.

Ignorant of this mythical/astronomical symbolism, historic and present scholars have no other options but to take the cultural stories literally granted as a "flooding event once happening ON the Earth" instead of a celestial imagery located OVER the Earth ("covering" the mountains on the Earth) in the Sky. An imagery which STILL is going on.

This very precise astronomical and cosmological telling becomes a scholarly/priestly story of "a divine revenge" - which in itself is pure nonsense.

Read more here - The Flood Myths origin from the Milky Way Rivers

Last edited:

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Will it not be incredible if we can get only a single flash of God's intellect.
Of course it will be incredible, considering how not credible the whole myth is. It would be as incredible as getting a single flash of Superman's strength.

]Even id deducted by investigating a Book that for 3500 years never changed, and challenged flawed science for the last 500 years
What is id? You mean sd, right?

Ciao

- viole

Colt

It's nice to see that you've cleaned up your little antisemitic flourish from two years ago ...
BTW, do you now put "genealogical device" in quotes because you previously employed that term? Really? :D (Far better would have been something akin to "etiological tale.")
Anti Semitic? I don't have the Jewish people up on a pedestal or above reproach. So called Israelis are just regular citizens of the world, no better and no worse than any other culture on earth. Historical claims in religions are open for debate and criticism.