• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brad Watson_Miami

"7 Seals"/'Beyond Einstein Theories'
I tweaked the op with...

The spoken word is linked to the written word, which is based on its alphabet,
which is phonetic, pictographic, and has a numerical order connected to the Bible
30, Nature and science.

Altfish

Veteran Member
@Altfish,

Why don't you think The Truth about Noah's Ark will change everything? I see you refer to yourself as a "humanist". Does that mean atheist? Do you dismiss the Bible?*

The truth of Noah's Ark has been known for a while. It is a fairy tale written by dessert nomads some 2000 years BC.
Humanist does mean atheist, yes. I believe the Bible is indeed a work of fiction as are all 'holy' books.
There is more fact in Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings

DavidFirth

The truth of Noah's Ark has been known for a while. It is a fairy tale written by dessert nomads some 2000 years BC.
Humanist does mean atheist, yes. I believe the Bible is indeed a work of fiction as are all 'holy' books.

Opinions are like, well, you know. But thanks for expressing yours.

Ponder This

Wait... there were fairies on Noah's Ark too?

Altfish

Veteran Member
You can't prove any of your opinion. So that's all it is. Opinion. It isn't fact.
Perhaps I should have said it is based on a LACK of evidence. There is no evidence of a world wide flood, the 'two of each kind of animal' is poppycock. It is not an opinion, it is a reasoned conclusion

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Geologists tell us that the highest the sea level has been is roughly 400 feet above current stage.

Secondly, computer models show that an ark bearing the dimensions stated in Genesis is too unstable-- loaded or unloaded. One is found in Amsterdam Harbor and they're afraid to even try taking it for a spin.

The Flood Myth logically and scientifically should only be taken seriously as being allegory, thus people should look for the morals and values taught within the narrative.

DavidFirth

Geologists tell us that the highest the sea level has been is roughly 400 feet above current stage.

Secondly, computer models show that an ark bearing the dimensions stated in Genesis is too unstable-- loaded or unloaded. One is found in Amsterdam Harbor and they're afraid to even try taking it for a spin.

The Flood Myth logically and scientifically should only be taken seriously as being allegory, thus people should look for the morals and values taught within the narrative.

Nevertheless, huge amounts of evidence do indicate that the global flood happened. Believe whomsoever you will, I guess.

metis

ICR is not a scientific site in any sense of the word. In science, we do the research and then maybe draw some conclusions, but sites like ICR draw the conclusion first and then try to build a case around it using distortion and sometimes out-and-out lies. But they sell their books, CD's, and DVD's.

metis

Nevertheless, huge amounts of evidence do indicate that the global flood happened. Believe whomsoever you will, I guess.
And that's a problem as science is not a matter of "belief"-- it's a matter of evidence. Common sense should dictate that geologists should be the experts on this, not a 2000+ year old book written by people who would be oblivious to geological science and could not possibly see the entire world.

Again, it's the morals and values that are taught that's important, not whether a boat like that actually existed.

metis

By the way, in the early church there was a debate whether Jesus' parables were real cases or not, with one group saying that Jesus wouldn't lie or distort so "the Good Samaritan" must have been a real person with a real history. The other group said that it doesn't make a difference whether there was an actual "Good Samaritan" as it's the moral of the story that really counts, and it was this that won out.

An intelligent and honest pastor should tell his congregation that this is the best way to deal with the Creation and Flood myths-- look for the moral(s) of the story.

DavidFirth

And that's a problem as science is not a matter of "belief"-- it's a matter of evidence. Common sense should dictate that geologists should be the experts on this, not a 2000+ year old book written by people who would be oblivious to geological science and could not possibly see the entire world.

Again, it's the morals and values that are taught that's important, not whether a boat like that actually existed.

There are YEC geologists, too. And YEC interpretations of the evidence that are very different from OE geologists.

DavidFirth

Ignoring the AiG link and going to the Smithsonian link, there are floods (we still get them today) but no world wide flood, It DIDN'T happen!

My point is that you can't just act like there is no evidence for a global flood when there clearly is evidence of it. You can believe what you will but the evidence is there.