• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Noah's Ark Found

A

angellous_evangellous

MidnightBlue said:
From the homepage of BASE Institute:
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]The Bible Archaeology, Search & Exploration (B.A.S.E.) Institute is dedicated to the quest for archaeological evidence to help validate to the world that the Bible is true, and that it represents an accurate, non-fictional account of God’s will to bring the people of this world back into relationship with Him.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]BASE Institute fulfills its mission by engaging in activities of research, exploration & public education, to present credible archaeological information that is sound in scholarship, but also interesting and motivational to the general public.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]In other words, BASE Institute is not a scholarly institute, and is not engaged in serious archaeology or serious scholarship of any kind. BASE is a cheerleading squad for biblical inerrantists and is only interested in scraping up whatever "evidence" can be construed to support their own foregone conclusions.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Bob Cornuke, the president of BASE Institute, is not an archaeologist and does not have a real college degree. (He does have a Ph.D. from Louisiana Baptist University, an unaccredited Christian diploma mill.) A former cop, he describes himself as "an [/FONT]international explorer and author[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]" and explains that he got into the archaeology bidness after being hired to provide security for James Irwin's attempts to locate Noah's Ark in Turkey. (See Cornuke's bio on the BASE website.)[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]In other words, there's absolutely no reason to take BASE seriously, and ABC was remiss publishing this story without, apparently, doing any research at all beyond talking to somebody from BASE.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]But judge for yourself: Do this look convincing to you?
[/FONT]

The article claims that Josh McDowell was there. His ministry headquarters is in Dallas - just about 45 miles from here. I shot him an email.
====

Did ya'll know that Brannon S. Howse is claiming that Josh McDowell recently went to Iran and discovered Noah's Ark?

Since it's not promoted on Josh's website, I thought you should know how his name is being used.

http://www.worldviewweekend.com/secure/cwnetwork/article.php?&ArticleID=813

Blessings,
Nathan

dan

The earth was not necessarily the same back then. Don't use today's geography to map out the word from thousands of years ago. You say it's impossible because you cannot see a way for it to work, but to deny the actuality of any of the Bible's miracles on the grounds that the processes cannot be explained is to arrogate to the human mind omniscience by saying, whatever I cannot understand cannot be. You, therefore, must understand all that is. I have some pretty serious doubts about your omniscience.

Also, it makes my head hurt when you say "There is only about 326 cubic miles of water." For the love of all that is holy, can the world please learn that when you have a plural subject you must change "is" to "are"?

Rejected

Under Reconstruction
angellous_evangellous said:
The article claims that Josh McDowell was there. His ministry headquarters is in Dallas - just about 45 miles from here. I shot him an email.
====

Did ya'll know that Brannon S. Howse is claiming that Josh McDowell recently went to Iran and discovered Noah's Ark?

Since it's not promoted on Josh's website, I thought you should know how his name is being used.

http://www.worldviewweekend.com/secure/cwnetwork/article.php?&ArticleID=813

Blessings,
Nathan
Keep us posted on how that turns out. I love seeing people exposed as liars.

Faint

Rejected said:
You would have to more than double the earth’s current water supply. It’s impossible.
For God, anything's possible. Didn't you get the memo?

A

angellous_evangellous

Rejected said:
Keep us posted on how that turns out. I love seeing people exposed as liars.

As do I. We may even be able to prove the article wrong - folks listed in the group that discovered the Ark may have have speaking engagements listed online.

Rejected

Under Reconstruction
dan said:
The earth was not necessarily the same back then. Don't use today's geography to map out the word from thousands of years ago. You say it's impossible because you cannot see a way for it to work, but to deny the actuality of any of the Bible's miracles on the grounds that the processes cannot be explained is to arrogate to the human mind omniscience by saying, whatever I cannot understand cannot be. You, therefore, must understand all that is. I have some pretty serious doubts about your omniscience.

Also, it makes my head hurt when you say "There is only about 326 cubic miles of water." For the love of all that is holy, can the world please learn that when you have a plural subject you must change "is" to "are"?

Yes, since one grammatical error shows my complete ineptitude and ignorance, thereby rendering my whole argument invalid. I’m sorry. I with draw my statement.:sarcastic

The earths volume had absolutely nothing to do with its geopraphy.
And how was the earth "not the same back then?"

I'm not saying it’s impossible because I can't find a way for it to work. I'm saying it’s impossible because I just sat here and did all the number crunching math and it can't work.

Smoke

Done here.
angellous_evangellous said:
Did he? I mean, was he on the expedition? It would kind of be in line with the rest of McDowell's career, and Howse is really going out on a limb if he didn't, since McDowell is so well-known.

As for the credibility of the expedition, I think the account speaks for itself:
Led by explorer, adventurer, and featured Worldview Weekend speaker Dr. Bob Cornuke, a fourteen man crew returned this week from Iran bearing stunning evidence that theirs is the long-anticipated even coveted discovery of the remains of Noah’s Ark. Bob’s team consisted of a Who’s Who of business, law, and ministry leaders including Barry Rand (former CEO of Avis), the author and Christian apologist Josh McDowell, Frank Turek (co-author with Norm Geisler of I Don’t Have Enough Faith to be an Atheist), Boone Powell (former CEO of Baylor Medical Systems), and Arch Bonnema (president of Joshua Financial).
Apart from the fact that it doesn't seem like much of a Who's Who to me, this gives you a pretty clear idea of their approach. Let's get a bunch of well-to-do Christians to fork over some money for a trip to Iran. We don't need any scholars, scientists, or archaeologists. In fact, it's a pretty safe assumption that having scholars, scientists and archaeologists along would have been detrimental to the purpose of the trip.

I can't help wondering whether Bob Cornuke's most significant discovery hasn't been finding that there are gullible Christians who are able and eager to finance a more interesting life for Cornuke.

dan

Rejected said:
Yes, since one grammatical error shows my complete ineptitude and ignorance, thereby rendering my whole argument invalid. I’m sorry. I with draw my statement.:sarcastic

I never said it rendered your argument invalid, I said it made my head hurt. Pay attention.

Rejected said:
I'm not saying it’s impossible because I can't find a way for it to work. I'm saying it’s impossible because I just sat here and did all the number crunching math and it can't work.

So you couldn't find a way for it to work.

A

angellous_evangellous

MidnightBlue said:
Did he? I mean, was he on the expedition? It would kind of be in line with the rest of McDowell's career, and Howse is really going out on a limb if he didn't, since McDowell is so well-known.

As for the credibility of the expedition, I think the account speaks for itself:
Led by explorer, adventurer, and featured Worldview Weekend speaker Dr. Bob Cornuke, a fourteen man crew returned this week from Iran bearing stunning evidence that theirs is the long-anticipated even coveted discovery of the remains of Noah’s Ark. Bob’s team consisted of a Who’s Who of business, law, and ministry leaders including Barry Rand (former CEO of Avis), the author and Christian apologist Josh McDowell, Frank Turek (co-author with Norm Geisler of I Don’t Have Enough Faith to be an Atheist), Boone Powell (former CEO of Baylor Medical Systems), and Arch Bonnema (president of Joshua Financial).

Apart from the fact that it doesn't seem like much of a Who's Who to me, this gives you a pretty clear idea of their approach.Let's get a bunch of well-to-do Christians to fork over some money for a trip to Iran. We don't need any scholars, scientists, or archaeologists. In fact, it's a pretty safe assumption that having scholars, scientists and archaeologists along would have been detrimental to the purpose of the trip.

I can't help wondering whether Bob Cornuke's most significant discovery hasn't been finding that there are gullible Christians who are able and eager to finance a more interesting life for Cornuke.

Arch Bonnema also is from my area - he's been busy speaking.

http://www.best-christian-conferences.com/bcc/store/scripts/search.asp?searchby=talkspeaker&idspeaker=642

dan

MidnightBlue said:

Apart from the fact that it doesn't seem like much of a Who's Who to me, this gives you a pretty clear idea of their approach. Let's get a bunch of well-to-do Christians to fork over some money for a trip to Iran. We don't need any scholars, scientists, or archaeologists. In fact, it's a pretty safe assumption that having scholars, scientists and archaeologists along would have been detrimental to the purpose of the trip.

I'm not saying I think the dude found the Ark, but can't someone address his evidence instead of his character? Holy crap, is this what research is all about now?

"His school lost to our football team, so all his conclusions can be automatically dismissed."

"He got a C- in Archeology so the australopithocus aferensis skull he's holding doesn't really exist."

"He once stole a candy bar, so I don't have to accept that the comet that is hurtling towards our planet is real."

Why doesn't someone make a real argument? Al Gore is a moron and claims to have invented the internet, but I know you all like his movie. I know you all hail it as the end-all-be-all of global warming arguments. Why don't you all quit throwing up the straw men and red herrings and argue the man's evidence?

A

angellous_evangellous

dan said:
I'm not saying I think the dude found the Ark, but can't someone address his evidence instead of his character? Holy crap, is this what research is all about now?

"His school lost to our football team, so all his conclusions can be automatically dismissed."

"He got a C- in Archeology so the australopithocus aferensis skull he's holding doesn't really exist."

"He once stole a candy bar, so I don't have to accept that the comet that is hurtling towards our planet is real."

Why doesn't someone make a real argument? Al Gore is a moron and claims to have invented the internet, but I know you all like his movie. I know you all hail it as the end-all-be-all of global warming arguments. Why don't you all quit throwing up the straw men and red herrings and argue the man's evidence?

If the man lies about his credentials and who went with him, there is no reason to believe anything else he says...

Smoke

Done here.
dan said:

The credibility of the team and its leader is a real issue. And what evidence?

Rejected

Under Reconstruction
dan said:
I never said it rendered your argument invalid, I said it made my head hurt.

The fact that you actually beleive it makes my head hurt.

dan said:
So you couldn't find a way for it to work.

Then tell me how you think it could work.

A massive boat supposedly came to rest on the top of a mountain.
This is supposed to be ther result of a massive flood caused by a storm that raged for 40 days and nights.

In order to cover the face of the earth you would need to add 353 million cubic miles of water.

The earth, in respect to its water supply, is a closed system, meaning that water doesn't fall from space but is recycled in a constant evaporation/precipitation cycle. Nothing is ever gained or lost.

The flood was supposed to have covered the whole earth, not contained to a specific valley or drainage system when like when most rivers flood.
The whole earth.
All of it.
353 million cubic miles of water.
Where did it come from.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
dan said:
The earth was not necessarily the same back then.

Isn't that a hoot!
Those who function merely on the emperical plane (Stephen Hawking for example) will melt at the thought that the beginning of the universe isn't be governed by the same laws that were held at other times is simply a figment of their bias and philosophy.
But hey, only us religious folks are tainted with bias and a philosophy...;) .

dan

Rejected said:
Then tell me how you think it could work.

I cant. I believe in miracles and I do not feel that all natural laws are within the scope of my understanding. You're the one who believes there is absolutely nothing that exists that you do not understand comprehensively.

dan

Rejected said:
And how was "the earth different back then?"

Mountains and continents and lakes and rainfall. I believe that God has it within his capacity to alter the earth. I also believe He has it within His capacity to arrange how it all appears to us.

A

angellous_evangellous

dan said:
I also believe He has it within His capacity to arrange how it all appears to us.
I've often said that God could turn us all into marshmellows for an unspecified amount of time, rewrite history, and turn us back into humans again and no one would ever know.

Now that's a problem when you're trying to make absolute historical and scientific claims. :cool: