• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Noah's Ark Flood Theories

Vile Atheist

Loud and Obnoxious
I've heard several theories as to how Noah's flood occured, ranging from the polar ice caps melting to a canopy of ice surrounding the Earth, melting and covering the Earth with water.

I invite anyone who thinks Noah's Ark literally happened as described in the Bible to describe their preferred theory and offer up their scientific evidence for it. I ask that you please keep Scripture quotes to a minimum (all that's necessary to acquire details of the flood).

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
I've heard several theories as to how Noah's flood occured, ranging from the polar ice caps melting to a canopy of ice surrounding the Earth, melting and covering the Earth with water.

I invite anyone who thinks Noah's Ark literally happened as described in the Bible to describe their preferred theory and offer up their scientific evidence for it. I ask that you please keep Scripture quotes to a minimum (all that's necessary to acquire details of the flood).

Perhaps thats starting too far ahead. Lets start with present day evidence for the flood. Perhaps someone would care to show using geology when and where this flood occured.

Vile Atheist

Loud and Obnoxious
Perhaps thats starting too far ahead. Lets start with present day evidence for the flood. Perhaps someone would care to show using geology when and where this flood occured.

I'm assuming we're going by the Biblical account. If it was a global flood, it's a little redundant to ask where it happened. And most creationists pin the date of Noah's flood at around ~2500 BC, to my last recollection (if anyone else would like to correct me).

OmarKhayyam

The final answer is : GodDoneIt. No further explanation necessary or desired. It is a miracle and we are not meant to understand it. The fact that we CAN'T is proof of its miraculous nature. Indeed, if science were able to explain it it would NOT be proof of God's power. Like the Resurrection itself, if Man could explain it - it wouldn't BE a miracle.

See now easy that was.:D

Man of Faith

No need for a theory, the Bible describes what happens, now it is scientists job to look for the evidence. "all the underground waters erupted from the earth, and the rain fell in mighty torrents from the sky. The rain continued to fall for forty days and forty nights." We see that water came from underground and from the sky. Evidences are below.

Polystrate Tree Fossils - These are tree fossils that intersect several layers of stratum. Sometimes the trees are upside down through several layers of stratum that are assumed to be millions of years old. This suggests a rapid disposition of stratum because how would the tree stand upright for millions of years while the stratum slowly developed around it?

Large quantities of cementing agents (usually limestone and silica) produced, transported, and deposited, often quite uniformly, between sedimentary grains worldwide.

The Grand Canyon – We see large stratum uniformly placed throughout the canyon. If it took millions of years to place it, we should see interruptions in the soils from animals digging, weathering etc… This suggests a rapid disposition.

Tristesse

No need for a theory, the Bible describes what happens, now it is scientists job to look for the evidence. "all the underground waters erupted from the earth, and the rain fell in mighty torrents from the sky. The rain continued to fall for forty days and forty nights." We see that water came from underground and from the sky. Evidences are below.

Polystrate Tree Fossils - These are tree fossils that intersect several layers of stratum. Sometimes the trees are upside down through several layers of stratum that are assumed to be millions of years old. This suggests a rapid disposition of stratum because how would the tree stand upright for millions of years while the stratum slowly developed around it?

Large quantities of cementing agents (usually limestone and silica) produced, transported, and deposited, often quite uniformly, between sedimentary grains worldwide.

The Grand Canyon – We see large stratum uniformly placed throughout the canyon. If it took millions of years to place it, we should see interruptions in the soils from animals digging, weathering etc… This suggests a rapid disposition.

Why would a scientist waste his time on that? Should scientists also look into any other mythology out there?

Demonic Kitten

I must be having a really blonde day because I just don't get it. How is that evidence suppose to support your theory on the so called biblical flood?

:shrug:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

You didn't give any evidence below for your implicit claim that there was ever sufficient water in the sky and underground to flood the entire Earth.

Which strata?

And rapid disposition of sediment sometimes does occur without a global flood.

How do you see this as support for a global flood?

Why would you say that? In sedimentation, layers are compressed as new ones are deposited on top. Voids like old animal warrens would be crushed if they weren't filled in during deposition.

Just_me_Mike

OMG, yet another punching bad thread, and stupid me for thinking there would be no suckers who would try to defend the undependable.

Man of Faith, while I am a firm believer in the bible, why can you not see there just isn't enough information to say exact details about the flood. What pleasure do you get in guessing about the bible? What pleasure do you get in arguing something that really is not arguable?

I just don't get it...

Man of Faith

OMG, yet another punching bad thread, and stupid me for thinking there would be no suckers who would try to defend the undependable.

Man of Faith, while I am a firm believer in the bible, why can you not see there just isn't enough information to say exact details about the flood. What pleasure do you get in guessing about the bible? What pleasure do you get in arguing something that really is not arguable?

I just don't get it...

You just don't know how much pleasure I get from defending the word of God. It's a spiritual experience. This is my life, I teach it, do it, defend it, live it, watch it, read it, breath it, eat it, drink it. I can't think of anything I would rather do.

Humanistheart

[/font][/color]
You didn't give any evidence below for your implicit claim that there was ever sufficient water in the sky and underground to flood the entire Earth.

Which strata?

And rapid disposition of sediment sometimes does occur without a global flood.

How do you see this as support for a global flood?

Why would you say that? In sedimentation, layers are compressed as new ones are deposited on top. Voids like old animal warrens would be crushed if they weren't filled in during deposition.

Actually the strata to which he reffured is layered in no particular order, just as we'd expect to see from millenia of deposits. The grand canyon does not in any way prove the flood, and in fact is another example of why the flood could not have happened.

Just_me_Mike

You just don't know how much pleasure I get from defending the word of God. It's a spiritual experience. This is my life, I teach it, do it, defend it, live it, watch it, read it, breath it, eat it, drink it. I can't think of anything I would rather do.
I dig all that, but there is nothing to gain from arguing. If you are a man of God, than do as Jesus did, move on...

Humanistheart

I dig all that, but there is nothing to gain from arguing. If you are a man of God, than do as Jesus did, move on...

Um... jesus didn't move on when peopel rejected him. I can give you a nice list of all the things he said of and did to people who rejected his teaching if you're not familiar with the bible. Lol, move on like jesus, good one itwillend.

Man of Faith

Well that's a personal flaw I have, Jesus had no flaws. However I do pray about it to see if God wants me to stop posting in forums. So far no definate answer.