• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Noah's Arc and the Flood?

sooda

Veteran Member
Even though the Bible
is not literal history there is a basis in history for may of the events of history. Even though the flood as described in the Bible did not happen there was likely a catastrophic event that the account was based on,

Based on the archaeological and geology evidence, and earliest flood accounts, I believe it is related to memories of catastrophic flooding of the Tigris Euphrates River Valley. Because of the potential of wide spread catastrophic flooding in these valleys up to hundreds of square miles can be flooded particularly in the lower flood plain and delta, it could appear to the people in the valley as the world was indeed mostly covered in water.

I will provide archaeological and geology (geomorphology) references to support this.

Hard to believe that some people think there actually was a global flood.

sooda

Veteran Member
Not true. It is based on the same physics having always existed in earth history. In other words, it is based on the present nature.

There is no evidence for a global flood. There is evidence for a flood of the Euphrates River Basin.

Darkforbid

There is no evidence for a global flood. There is evidence for a flood of the Euphrates River Basin.

I can't believe anyone thinks any pre AD (BC) writter had full global knowledge in the first place. I mean what kind of idiot would you have to be

sooda

Veteran Member
I can't believe anyone thinks any pre AD (BC) writter had full global knowledge in the first place. I mean what kind of idiot would you have to be

Their world was quite small.. Eretz means land not earth. Such as there was famine in the LAND not the whole earth.

Native

Free Natural Philosopher & Comparative Mythologist
Darkforbid said:
"Day-star of the heaven of justice shall be made manifest, and the Ark of divine guidance shall sail upon the sea of glory, a star will appear in the heaven, heralding unto its people the advent of that most great light."
This is not 'objective verifiable evidence' of the world flood of Noah.
Still waiting . .
No it is not evidence of the World Flood of Noah as assumed from the bible - It is evidence for the celestial river of the Milky Way which flows all around the Earth up in the Sky and NOT on the Earth, hence the references to "star", "heaven" and "light".

The Flood Myth is simply an astronomical and cosmological description. The Ark represent the crescent shape of the Milky Way and all animals represents the Zodiac and other imagined animals in the night Sky.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Darkforbid said:
"Day-star of the heaven of justice shall be made manifest, and the Ark of divine guidance shall sail upon the sea of glory, a star will appear in the heaven, heralding unto its people the advent of that most great light."

No it is not evidence of the World Flood of Noah as assumed from the bible - It is evidence for the celestial river of the Milky Way which flows all around the Earth up in the Sky and NOT on the Earth, hence the references to "star", "heaven" and "light".

The Flood Myth is simply an astronomical and cosmological description. The Ark represent the crescent shape of the Milky Way and all animals represents the Zodiac and other imagined animals in the night Sky.
OK, this is your interpretation of the Genesis flood myth. Your previous post was not clear.

I do disagree.

sooda

Veteran Member
Darkforbid said:

The Ark isn't crescent shaped. Its a box. The Hebrews learned the story in Babylon.

Gilgamesh was a historical king of the Sumerian city-state of Uruk, a major hero in ancient Mesopotamian mythology, and the protagonist of the Epic of Gilgamesh, an epic poem written in Akkadian during the late second millennium BC. He probably ruled sometime between 2800 and 2500 BC and was posthumously deified.

He became a major figure in Sumerian legends during the Third Dynasty of Ur (c. 2112 – c. 2004 BC). Tales of Gilgamesh's legendary exploits are narrated in five surviving Sumerian poems.

Native

OK, this is your interpretation of the Genesis flood myth. Your previous post was not clear.
I do disagree.
No, it is not "my idea" at all, but the collective cultural perception of the ancient description of the astronomical and cosmological conditions. And of course this is also why several cultures has the almost same story about the Flood Myth.

sooda

Veteran Member
No it not, about 7 food stories from the area are all believed to be retellings of much older account

Of course.. The Euphrates River Basin flooded periodically.. That's what built up the delta south of Basra. Its pretty flat.. In the north its 30 feet above sea level.. Basra is only 13 feet above sea level.. and it gets closer to sea level at the Persia Gulf.

sooda

Veteran Member
No, it is not "my idea" at all, but the collective cultural perception of the ancient description of the astronomical and cosmological conditions. And of course this is also why several cultures has the almost same story about the Flood Myth.

Sounds like one of the foundational myths of native Americans.

Native

The story of Noah's Ark is simply borrowed from the older Gilgamesh Epic.
So how do you then explain that several cultures around the World have a very similar story?

Read more of the global "Flood Myth" here - Flood myth - Wikipedia
The Ark isn't crescent shaped. Its a box.
That must have been something of a box if it should contain a pair of all animals. You have to have ALL elements in the story to fit together in order to understand the entire story :)

Darkforbid

So how do you then explain that several cultures around the World have a very similar story?

That must have been something of a box if it should contain a pair of all animals. You have to have ALL elements in the story to fit together in order to understand the entire story :)

Not to mention. They are forgetting Sea levels have risen around 30 meters in the last 10,000 years

Native

Not to mention. They are forgetting Sea levels have risen around 30 meters in the last 10,000 years
That could very well be the fact - But IMO the Flood Myth doesn´t deal with "waters on the Earth" at all but with a celestial structure which was symbolically compared to a celestial river, namely the very contours of the Milky Way.

Link - Category:Sacred rivers - Wikipedia

Last edited:

sooda

Veteran Member

Native

Yes, every culture has a deluge myth. In the Philippines the earth was too flat to have a place to hunt pigs so they have a flood which creates the mountains.
Sorry I missed the logics in this sentence. Do you have a link to this philippinian story?

sooda

Veteran Member

The Fertile Crescent and Nile Delta often flooded. That's why they were fertile.

fertile-crescent.png