1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Noah's Arc and the Flood?

Discussion in 'Science and Religion' started by shunyadragon, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Native

Native Natural Philosopher

Ratings:
    +233
    Religion:
    Animism
    @shunyadragon,
    Here you are referring to male and female deities and connects these to Troy as if this a location on Earth. The logical question is therefore:

Do you then imagine the mentioned male and female deities to have lived on the Earth too?

2. Native

Ratings:
    +233
    Religion:
    Animism
    I mostly agree in this - with the a definitional extension of "Cosmogonic Myths" which describes how the world began and how people first came to inhabit it.

Furthermore from the same link:
    "While in popular usage the term myth often refers to false or fanciful stories, members of cultures often ascribe varying degrees of truth to their creation myths. In the society in which it is told, a creation myth is usually regarded as conveying profound truths, metaphorically, symbolically and sometimes in a historical or literal sense. They are commonly, although not always, considered cosmogonical myths—that is, they describe the ordering of the cosmos from a state of chaos or amorphousness".

In our modern time, the word "myth" has unfortunately lost it´s real and deepest meaning as modern science and the industrial/materialistic world has developed.

In fact many ancient cultural Stories of Creation bears a real astronomic and cosmologic knowledge - and in some areas contains more logics than some of the modern cosmology.

3. shunyadragon

shunyadragon shunyadragon
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,046
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    No I do not imagine anything in this context..

• Like Like x 1
  4. Native

Ratings:
    +233
    Religion:
    Animism
    Native said:
    @shunyadragon,
    Here you are referring to male and female deities and connects these to Troy as if this a location on Earth. The logical question is therefore:

Do you then imagine the mentioned male and female deities to have lived on the Earth too?
    OK, so you are just quoting an interpreted text (#174 shunyadragon, Monday at 8:23 PM) without examine logically what is says?

5. sooda

sooda Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +4,319
    Religion:
    Christian
    Creation myth - Types of cosmogonic myths | Britannica
    www.britannica.com/.../Types-of-cosmogonic-myths
    Creation myth - Creation myth - Types of cosmogonic myths: The world as a structure of meaning and value has not appeared in the same manner to all human civilizations. There are, therefore, almost as many cosmogonic myths as there are human cultures.

6. Native

Ratings:
    +233
    Religion:
    Animism
    Well, as the CREATION of course is the same for all humans in all cultures, the very basics in all creation stories also is the same. These stories contains both physical observations and spiritual/intuitive revelations.
    Read also my signature comment :)

7. dad

dad Undefeated

Ratings:
    +205
    Religion:
    christian
    There were floods after Noah's flood. Many were catastrophic. That is no reason to try and wave away the great flood.

8. dad

dad Undefeated

Ratings:
    +205
    Religion:
    christian
    We know how you date things. You misread patterns by applying your beliefs to them.

9. shunyadragon

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,046
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    Nothing of substance here to respond to.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. shunyadragon

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,046
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    There is absolutely no evidence for the great flood described in the Bible.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. shunyadragon

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,046
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    No logic necessary. The references simply describes some of the mythology found in the Iliad and the Odyssey indicating that that this literature contains mythology and factual foundation.

I make no interpretation other simply referencing the facts found in the reference.

12. dad

dad Undefeated

Ratings:
    +205
    Religion:
    christian
    I don't believe you.

13. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +19,158
    Religion:
    Atheist
    But he is right. Too bad that you refuse to learn what is and what is not evidence. You cannot even begin to refute his claim.

14. dad

dad Undefeated

Ratings:
    +205
    Religion:
    christian
    You are wrong.

15. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +19,158
    Religion:
    Atheist
    If I really was wrong you would not feel the need to edit my post in your quote. Your own actions refute your claim.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Native

Ratings:
    +233
    Religion:
    Animism
    Ok then. But the "referenced facts" are hugely misinterpreted where geological locations are mixed up with ancient myths which belongs to celestial realms.

17. Native

Ratings:
    +233
    Religion:
    Animism
    dad said:
    There were floods after Noah's flood. Many were catastrophic. That is no reason to try and wave away the great flood.
    Yes there is in fact, but this Great Flood NEVER ran ON the Earth, but (it STILL runs) up in the Sky. The very looks of the Milky Way band was, amongst other, compared with a geographic river and described as such. The scholarly interpretation of a "divine revenge over humans" is nonsense and made up these two reasons:

1. The human fear of real geographical floods and maybe even tsunamis which killed lots of people. This of course caused humans to remember such floods and to believe these were a "revenge from God". Which also is nonsense.
    2. The scholarly lack of mythical language and especially the lack of accepting the mythical content to describes the ancient cosmos, including the Milky Way appearance, described by our ancestors as a GREAT RIVER in the night Sky.

#197 Native, Jan 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  18. shunyadragon

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,046
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    I do not interpret the mythology of the Iliad and Odyssey with other mythology.

19. shunyadragon

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,046
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    You need not believe me. The nature of our physical existence and the geology and geomorphology of the earth is easily confirmed by the objective verifiable evidence. You simply look at the evidence if you do not believe the hundreds of years of research and discoveries.

20. dad

dad Undefeated

Ratings:
    +205
    Religion:
    christian
    Physical evidence does not tell us what forces used to exist. Geology interprets layers and patterns and all things in the light of its beliefs. Then you want to call that objective and anything else subjective. The reverse is true.

Looking at thing objectively is deined like this.

"in a way that is based on facts and not influenced by personal beliefs or feelings:"

Your feelings and beliefs totally influence how evidence is viewed.