• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Noah and the Flood

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I know going ahead that this will be nitpicky, but your comment strikes me as absurd.

Keeping in mind that there are people who believe there was a male God who bet a Giant the Giant could not build a wall in an allotted time, and then, when it looked like the Giant would win the bet, the God turned into a female horse so he could seduce the Giant's magic stallion, causing the Giant to lose the bet and the God to become impregnated and give birth to a magical, 8-legged horse...

Keeping in mind there are people who believe that there was a God who turned himself into a swan so he could make love to a woman...

Keeping in mind all the myths out there, the one you deem "of the more ludicrous" is a big flood??

And Surrealist literature proves that assertion wrong.

At last all of those use limited magic. The flood story takes an endless series of magical events and then God has to go out of his way to hide the flood in a process that took generations if one wants to claim that it is true. The flood myth requires a dishonest version of God. Now Zeus was almost human in his attributes so him being dishonest at times only adds to his being a myth. Does God being dishonest in regards to the flood myth make him mythical?

QuestioningMind

please take note....we are not discussing science
for this thread.....

your reaction to the story

I care not if you believe it happened

what does it mean to you?

Even when I heard this story for this first time when I was 7 or 8 years old, it didn't make any sense to me. Why the heck did God insist that Noah collect a pair of every animal on Earth to put on the ark? Why did he put Noah and his family through decades of toil to build such a huge boat? Why didn't God simply have Noah build a boat big enough for his family and just let all of the animals drown during the flood? After all, once the waters receded God could have just snapped his metaphorical fingers and created a new pair of every single animal on Earth. According to Genesis, it took him a fraction of a single day to do it originally.

QuestioningMind

You're supposed to put " " around that type of science. Like this, yes I ignore the "science" and take Noah's ark story as fact.

Oh, "that type of science', huh? Guess what, there is only ONE scientific method and it's employed by ALL legitimate sciences, even the science of global warming. Science isn't like religion where you get to pick-and-choose what parts you want to believe in and disregard all the rest.

Jeremiah Ames

and along with the op....I was about to put forth a similar notion
what to worry about?

I was about to propose that the story may have been misgiven
and instead of a physical event of the past....it could be prophecy

maybe it hasn't happened yet
and the text we have, has been retold incorrectly
Incredibly interesting idea.
I must think on that one.

Jeremiah Ames

for this thread.....

It’s a difficult story for me.
As a scientist, I could not believe the story without supernatural events. Things beyond nature, beyond science. Now, God is supernatural, so it’s possible. o_O Just difficult for my human brain that sees only logically. Like, what happened to all the poop? Remember, it was storming and there were no openings.
So, I have not given it much thought. Too many other things to study at this point, but your OP makes me want to look into this story some more.

Last edited by a moderator:

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
one story of a long list of stories why I can't take Judaism and Christianity and their people seriously. That's what Noah story means to me.

it undermines their credibility.

idav

Being
Premium Member
for this thread.....

I always wondered how awesomely powerful that must be, to be able to cause mass genocide of hundreds of species of animals and that clearly we are at the mercy of these powerful elements.

Aldrnari

As a child, just another boring story in one of my mom's beautifully illustrated bible story books, and a constant subject in Sunday school. As a teenager, I was dumbfounded by the creationist explanation for how the flood happened according to my homeschooling curriculum (something about a giant sheet of ice covering the atmosphere?), which is when I seriously began doubting the religion I was brought up in. As an adult, I appreciate it as a good myth that evokes the imagination, and it really makes me want to read the book of Enoch some day soon. :)

Kelly of the Phoenix

God doesn't need much motivation to use "overkill" as a "solution"?

Where is there meaning there? Anybody?
Be the guy on the boat or learn to build your own. :)

At the end of the story the covenant is with Noah and also with all living creatures, and a total elimination of violence is expected and required.
And one of the first thing Noah does is blame some poor grandkid for the fact he was caught on a naked bender.

You don't expect different results when using the same stock. It should be common sense.

Ham's mistake
Ham didn't make a mistake. It's not his fault his father is a naked lush.

It was a story of God giving clear warning of impending danger, but that warning being rejected by those in power who wished to cling to their positions of power. Those heeding the warning survived, and those who ignored the warning for their own selfish desires did not.
Noah didn't have FB. How on earth did he tell the entire global population to get on a boat that clearly was only going to be taking his family and some animals?

It's like this theory about Willy Wonka:
Going back to Augustus -- neverbinkles on Reddit noticed an odd thing about the boat: "Willy Wonka knew those

children would die in his factory. After Augustus gets sucked up the shoot, they all hop on board the boat through the tunnel of doom. The boat doesn't have two extra vacant seats though. It was designed with prior knowledge that they would lose two participants before that point. Later they drive a cream spewing car with only four seats. Did they have another car waiting in the garage in case the others made it? Of course not. Willy Wonka uses children to make candy."

Violence was the reason for God causing it.
Embryos committed violence?

It tells me that when society gets real bad, God will step in again (after the issue of sovereignty raised in Eden [Genesis 3:1-6, which gives the reason why Jehovah has, for the most part, stayed out of human affairs] is completely settled), keeping his human children from ultimately destroying the Planet and themselves.
Alternatively, God could do a better job teaching humans how to behave and we wouldn't have this mess. It's like if a school teacher just sits on their *** instead of teaching and then kills all the children in the room because they failed the tests. Some people would blame the kids in this example.

Those who died at the Flood, may receive a Resurrection. That's the hope for everyone.
Would you really want to be restored by a God who loved you so little He drowned you?

Why the heck did God insist that Noah collect a pair of every animal on Earth to put on the ark?
Only to have a huge sacrifice later, killing many of said animals. Hope they mated on the boat.

After all, once the waters receded God could have just snapped his metaphorical fingers and created a new pair of every single animal on Earth. According to Genesis, it took him a fraction of a single day to do it originally.
I think God lost the recipe. It happens. Many myths have multiple creations, with humans being made out of different materials each time.

He must have lost it some time after Adam but before Eve, because He never uses this trick again.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Oh, "that type of science', huh? Guess what, there is only ONE scientific method and it's employed by ALL legitimate sciences, even the science of global warming. Science isn't like religion where you get to pick-and-choose what parts you want to believe in and disregard all the rest.

I'm sure they put the B team on proving the flood wrong, and the A team on improving the electric car...They can't con me into believing the electric car is better, it obvious so they dont. But with less tangible theories the scientific method tells them they won't get caught in their BS, so they keep on with it.

Faithofchristian

The flood of Noah's did not cover the whole earth, As some people seem to think it did.
There's evidence in bible that shows the flood of Noah's only covered a small region to where Noah lived.

In Genesis 10:4,5 here we find, The sons of Javan, Elishah, and Tarshish, Kittim, and Dodanim, By these were isles of the Gentiles divided in their lands"

Ok, so where did these isles of the Gentiles come from, If what is said that the flood of Noah's destroyed all life on the earth?

So there is evidence in the bible, that the flood of Noah's did not cover the whole earth as people are told to believe.

But only a small region of the earth, to where Noah and his family lived before the flood.

The whole purpose of the flood of Noah's, Was to destroy the wickedness of man, Which is found in Genesis 6, since the wickedness of man was only found in and around where Noah and his family lived.
So what would be the purpose of destroying the whole earth?

Here again is the proof that the flood of Noah's did not cover the whole earth. As people are lead to believe.

So why would God need to destroy the whole earth, Seeing that the wickedness of man was concentrated only in one area where Noah and his family lived?

And if the flood of Noah's did cover the whole earth, Then where did the isles of the Gentiles come from, That is found in Genesis 10:5?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
The flood of Noah's did not cover the whole earth, As some people seem to think it did.
There's evidence in bible that shows the flood of Noah's only covered a small region to where Noah lived.

In Genesis 10:4,5 here we find, The sons of Javan, Elishah, and Tarshish, Kittim, and Dodanim, By these were isles of the Gentiles divided in their lands"

Ok, so where did these isles of the Gentiles come from, If what is said that the flood of Noah's destroyed all life on the earth?

So there is evidence in the bible, that the flood of Noah's did not cover the whole earth as people are told to believe.

But only a small region of the earth, to where Noah and his family lived before the flood.

The whole purpose of the flood of Noah's, Was to destroy the wickedness of man, Which is found in Genesis 6, since the wickedness of man was only found in and around where Noah and his family lived.
So what would be the purpose of destroying the whole earth?

Here again is the proof that the flood of Noah's did not cover the whole earth. As people are lead to believe.

So why would God need to destroy the whole earth, Seeing that the wickedness of man was concentrated only in one area where Noah and his family lived?

And if the flood of Noah's did cover the whole earth, Then where did the isles of the Gentiles come from, That is found in Genesis 10:5?
I took a look.....

I get the impression the division was of tongue and culture
which leads to the question.....the sons of Noah developed their own language and nation?
immediately after the flood?

sure.....longevity in life was in play.....
but why the change in speech and then division among the descendants?

I do agree..
the flood was likely a local event......large to the participants viewpoint
and floating their livestock and family was an act of survival

the warning handed down is likely no more than observation
each passing season the rain prevails more and more
each harvest becomes more strained and urgent

several years of wet seasons and then the water comes on more so than ever

that would be strife
that would be an event to record

but I suspect the details are exaggerated

Etritonakin

for this thread.....

Similar to harsh judgments under Old Testament law, the main idea is doing things which are themselves terrible, but which will actually benefit those on the receiving end of those terrible things.

Of those he purifies, partly by removing many sinners from the equation in the past, God is preparing a literal government for the future.
After that government is in place, all who died to make that possible will then eventually be resurrected to that new situation.

Those called and purified are to be "kings and priests" and will reign with Christ on earth for a thousand years -and beyond -and we will eventually move out into the universe -the heavens -which were "formed to be inhabited".

Initially, Christ will enforce peace among humans as peace is taught, but all will have an opportunity to become immortal and Earth -which will continue to produce more humans to become immortal -will be very different due to the capability of that government.

Faithofchristian

I took a look.....

I get the impression the division was of tongue and culture
which leads to the question.....the sons of Noah developed their own language and nation?
immediately after the flood?

sure.....longevity in life was in play.....
but why the change in speech and then division among the descendants?

I do agree..
the flood was likely a local event......large to the participants viewpoint
and floating their livestock and family was an act of survival

the warning handed down is likely no more than observation
each passing season the rain prevails more and more
each harvest becomes more strained and urgent

several years of wet seasons and then the water comes on more so than ever

that would be strife
that would be an event to record

but I suspect the details are exaggerated

Nope, the sons of Javan --> Elishah, and Trashish, Kittim, and Dodamin.

By these 4 sons of Javan were the isles of the Gentiles divided. Genesis 10:4,5.

For the isles of the Gentiles to be divided, That means the isles of the Gentiles were already there to be divided, By Javan sons --> Elishah, and Trashish, Kittim, and Dodamin.

There is 4 sons and the isles of the Gentiles were divided into 4 parts in their lands, every one after his tongue, after their families, in their nations.

Therefore for the isles of the Gentiles to be divided into 4 parts, Would mean the isles of the Gentiles were already there, to be divided in 4 parts in their lands, every one after his tongue, after their families in their nations.

Everyone at this time were still of one Language. The difference in Languages didn't happen until Nimrod built the tower of Babel.
Genesis 11:1--9.

Last edited:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Nope, the sons of Javan,Elishah, and Trashish, Kittim, and Dodamin.

By these 5 sons were the isles of the Gentiles divided. Genesis 10:4,5.

For the isles of the Gentiles to be divided, That means the isles of the Gentiles were already there to be divided, By the sons of Javan, Elishah, and Trashish, Kittim, and Dodamin.

There is 5 sons and the isles of the Gentiles were divided into 5 parts in their lands, every one after his tongue, after their families, in their nations.

Therefore for the isles of the Gentiles to be divided into 5 parts, Would mean the isles of the Gentiles were already there, to be divided in 5 parts in their lands, every one after his tongue, after their families in their nations.
oh...so the sons of Noah were already on their own?
each to his own nation?
each to his own language?
and THEN the flood?....well no

Shem, Ham and Japheth were born after the flood

but you would say? there are other countries (territories)
and the flood extended to those areas

Faithofchristian

each to his own nation?
and THEN the flood?

No these are not the sons of Noah,
Noah only had 3 sons, Shem, Ham, Japheth.

Elishah, Trashish, Kittim, Dodamin these 4 are the sons of Javan.

If you notice that every one at this time were all of one language.
The difference in Languages didn't come about until Nimrod built the tower of Babel. There God caused difference in Languages.

Therefore the isles of the Gentiles were all of one Language.
So was the 4 sons of Javan --> Elishah, Trashish, Kittim, Dodamin, were all of one Language.

For the difference in Languages didn't come about until Nimrod built the tower of Babel. Genesis 11:1--9.

Therefore the isles of the Gentiles were all of one Language. Until Nimrod built the tower of Babel.Then God caused the difference in Languages.

Therefore the isles of the Gentiles were already there, to be divided, By the 4 sons of Javan.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
No these are not the sons of Noah,
Noah only had 3 sons, Shem, Ham, Japheth.

Elishah, Trashish, Kittim, Dodamin these 4 are the sons of Javan.

If you notice that every one at this time were all of one language.
The difference in Languages didn't come about until Nimrod built the tower of Babel. There God caused difference in Languages.

Therefore the isles of the Gentiles were all of one Language.
So was the 4 sons of Javan --> Elishah, Trashish, Kittim, Dodamin, were all of one Language.

For the difference in Languages didn't come about until Nimrod built the tower of Babel. Genesis 11:1--9.

Therefore the isles of the Gentiles were all of one Language. Until Nimrod built the tower of Babel.Then God caused the difference in Languages.

Therefore the isles of the Gentiles were already there, to be divided, By the 4 sons of Javan.
ok.....I'm getting it

and the territories were divided BEFORE the flood?

and the Tower came afterward....
so it was Nimrod's nation that divided the language?

Faithofchristian

each to his own nation?
and THEN the flood?....well no

Shem, Ham and Japheth were born after the flood

but you would say? there are other countries (territories)
and the flood extended to those areas

No the flood of Noah's had no effect on the isles of the Gentiles.

Shem,Ham, Japheth, were born way before the flood, for they had wives that all went on to the ark with Noah and his wife.