• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No Wonder the Bible is Anybody's Guess

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
The worshippers of the King James bible may disagree with you. They have this 7th of the 7th translation thing, which is supposedly to make their version perfect. This despite that it appears to me to be among one of the worst translations.
A fringe position among certain types of fundamentalist Protestant notwithstanding, I stand by my original statement.

Although I will grant that the King James is an English language masterpiece.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member

It's gone through rewrite after rewrite.

new-testament-bible-editions-timeline.gif

Producing 127 different complete Bibles and 35 partial Bibles.
source: Wikipedia

Which has resulted in very different types of books!

main-qimg-00af2b31c641c1ca4d02f92a291f993f-c

Producing . . . .

SO, WHAT'S GOING ON?

What's going on:

1) Many Bible can be had now in English that are STRAIGHT from the original languages without interpolations (Latin Bibles et al)

2) You would be suspicious if only ONE translation was available--where would be the room for alternative translations?

3) There are two schools of thought a) dynamic translation "get the phrase across, if a group doesn't have snow, use the word for something else that is white instead" and b) formal translation "every word as close to what God said as possible"

4) Different groups with different desires do fresh translations "it's a free country"

Your OP is misleading, lacks facts, and again, casts aspersions where none exist among Jews and Christians.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Your OP is misleading, lacks facts, and again, casts aspersions where none exist among Jews and Christians.
What is misleading?
What isn't factual?
What aspersions were cast?

And if you can't give a straight forward answer to all three of these questions without going into irrelevancies don't bother replying.

Dell

Asteroid insurance?
Good thing the Jews can read the original. Anyone an learn.
And that's just the changes to the bible canon interpreted from manuscripts copied from copies prior, worse yet the 40 years or so of verbal retelling prior to the original written gospel accounts by unknown authors attributed to the persons of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
What is misleading?
What isn't factual?
What aspersions were cast?

And if you can't give a straight forward answer to all three of these questions without going into irrelevancies don't bother replying.

Misleading: "Translations cannot be trusted, because none exist now that aren't straight from the original languages to indigenous languages."

Not factual: "The Bible doesn't make sense because too many people have made different translations in English."

Aspersions: "Bible translators have dark agendas."

Skwim

Veteran Member
Misleading: "Translations cannot be trusted, because none exist now that aren't straight from the original languages to indigenous languages."

Not factual: "The Bible doesn't make sense because too many people have made different translations in English."

Aspersions: "Bible translators have dark agendas."
BUT YOU WEREN'T TALKING ABOUT THE BIBLE. YOU WERE TALKING ABOUT MY OP

"Your OP is misleading, lacks facts, and again, casts aspersions where none exist among Jews and Christians."​

Good grief man, do you not even read what you say, or don't your understand it?

Dan From Smithville

Recently discovered my planet of origin.
Staff member
Premium Member

It's gone through rewrite after rewrite.

new-testament-bible-editions-timeline.gif

Producing 127 different complete Bibles and 35 partial Bibles.
source: Wikipedia

Which has resulted in very different types of books!

main-qimg-00af2b31c641c1ca4d02f92a291f993f-c

Producing . . . .

SO, WHAT'S GOING ON?

I have no idea what the best translation is and do not read Hebrew or Greek and must rely on scholarly experts and their discussions and critiques to better understand the Bible. I do not hold a view of literal inerrancy and have found no sufficient reason to change that view.

Dan From Smithville

Recently discovered my planet of origin.
Staff member
Premium Member
Good thing I'm a Catholic. I just let the monks figure it out.
It was that way for 1500 plus years and God was with our ancestors through that time. Now days, anybody and their uncle can re-interpret it and according to each interpreter, their interpretation is the correct one.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
BUT YOU WEREN'T TALKING ABOUT THE BIBLE. YOU WERE TALKING ABOUT MY OP

"Your OP is misleading, lacks facts, and again, casts aspersions where none exist among Jews and Christians."​

Good grief man, do you not even read what you say, or don't your understand it?

Your OP stunk, it was saying things about some imagined MODERN proliferation/readership of Bibles from Latin and other garbage.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Your OP stunk,
The hell you say. But I understand. Facts sometimes have that effect on people who don't like them.

it was saying things about some imagined MODERN proliferation/readership of Bibles from Latin and other garbage.
25¢ you don't even know what you're talking about here, which wouldn't be surprising; you didn't even know where you were when you replied in post #65.

In any case,
have a good day
and rest up

Last edited: