• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No Wonder the Bible is Anybody's Guess

Skwim

Veteran Member
It's gone through rewrite after rewrite.

new-testament-bible-editions-timeline.gif

From the opinions of almost a thousand translators

bibleversdatetrans2.jpg

Which has resulted in very different books!

image004.jpg

Producing . . . . .

ARGUE%20BIBLE_zpsumrlvvji.png

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Doesn't divinely granted spiritual insight granted to each translator make each version of the Bible still the perfect word of God? That's the explanation I heard.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
Doesn't divinely granted spiritual insight granted to each translator make each version of the Bible still the perfect word of God? That's the explanation I heard.
If that's the case I might try my hand at translating the Bible.

And would you look at that, it says I should be the God-King of Mankind..

Tumah

Veteran Member
Well, the English has...
But what's a person to do if their new theological stance is not directly supported by the Bible? The only option is to "translate" it again. The right way this time.

Baladas

An Págánach
I just thought of this, and thought I'd share as it's sort of related:

One of the worst sermons I've ever heard was at a church where the pastor literally spent the entire time rambling on about how
the KJV was the only true and reliable Bible. Like, an hour and a half.

How can anyone not see that as a waste of time?

Skwim

Veteran Member
Well, the English has...
But what's a person to do if their new theological stance is not directly supported by the Bible? The only option is to "translate" it again. The right way this time.
But why would you bother?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I just thought of this, and thought I'd share as it's sort of related:

One of the worst sermons I've ever heard was at a church where the pastor literally spent the entire time rambling on about how
the KJV was the only true and reliable Bible. Like, an hour and a half.

How can anyone not see that as a waste of time?
I'll bet it wouldn't be a waste of time if he ever gave that sermon dressed up as Elvis.

rusra02

Premium Member
I think this quote from W09 11/1 answers better than I could:
"Professor Julio Trebolle Barrera, a member of the team of experts charged with studying and publishing the ancient manuscripts known as the Dead Sea Scrolls, says: “The transmission of the text of the Hebrew Bible is of extraordinary exactitude, without parallel in Greek and Latin classical literature.” Respected Bible scholar F. F. Bruce says: “The evidence for our New Testament writings is ever so much greater than the evidence for many writings of classical authors, the authenticity of which no one dreams of questioning.” He continues: “If the New Testament were a collection of secular writings, their authenticity would generally be regarded as beyond all doubt.” Certainly, the Bible is a remarkable book."
Despite endless attacks upon it, the Bible has endured and continues to endure and thrive. As Isaiah 40:8 affirms; "the word of our God endures forever.”

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
"Professor Julio Trebolle Barrera, a member of the team of experts charged with studying and publishing the ancient manuscripts known as the Dead Sea Scrolls, says: “The transmission of the text of the Hebrew Bible is of extraordinary exactitude, without parallel in Greek and Latin classical literature.” Respected Bible scholar F. F. Bruce says: “The evidence for our New Testament writings is ever so much greater than the evidence for many writings of classical authors, the authenticity of which no one dreams of questioning.” He continues: “If the New Testament were a collection of secular writings, their authenticity would generally be regarded as beyond all doubt.” Certainly, the Bible is a remarkable book."
Despite endless attacks upon it, the Bible has endured and continues to endure and thrive. As Isaiah 40:8 affirms; "the word of our God endures forever.”
No one is claiming the work of Aristotle or such is an accurate description of life from ancient Greece.

Skwim

Veteran Member
"Professor Julio Trebolle Barrera, a member of the team of experts charged with studying and publishing the ancient manuscripts known as the Dead Sea Scrolls, says: “The transmission of the text of the Hebrew Bible is of extraordinary exactitude, without parallel in Greek and Latin classical literature.”
Which is followed by

"The Rabbinic scribes developed very exact methods so that, in spite of difficult conditions of transmitting in ancient times, the copy of a manuscript of the Bible would be as exact as possible."
(Source: The People of the Dead Sea Scrolls. Florentino Garcia Martines and Julio Trebolle Barrera. P 99.)​

Writings that date from about 408 BC to 318 CE., and at least a thousand years before the John Wycliffe Bible was published. So while these ancient Hebrew writings were passed along almost without change, since the Wycliffe Bible came out numerous changes have proliferated ( see the chart in the OP for just some of them). Therefore, while it's nice the Hebrews didn't change much of the copy in the successive manuscripts, this has certainly not been the case since the 14th century.

Respected Bible scholar F. F. Bruce says: “The evidence for our New Testament writings is ever so much greater than the evidence for many writings of classical authors, the authenticity of which no one dreams of questioning.” He continues: “If the New Testament were a collection of secular writings, their authenticity would generally be regarded as beyond all doubt.” Certainly, the Bible is a remarkable book."
And just what was this evidence of? Bruce says that "the gospels and the Acts existed before the thirties of the second century AD."
(source: The New Testament Documents: are they Reliable? F.F. Bruce. p.9) Hardly germane to the thread's issue.

One other note: Bruce, a committed evangelical---he served as editor of The Evangelical Quarterly---is hardly an unbiased source, so his statements of affirmation certainly come as no surprise. It's little different than the Tennessee redneck who declares that "America" is the best &%$**&# country in the world!"

Last edited:

Skwim

Veteran Member
There is nothing wrong with the Bible. It has been translated accurately enough. The problem is with you.
And just how do you know that it's been translated accurately enough? It suits your needs, and that's all that's necessary? Sorry, but satisfying your needs doesn't translate into exactitude and sufficiency.