• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No Such Thing as an Ex-Christian!

ftacky

God made us the most relational creatures in the world. We can communicate and relate in ways that supercede all other creatures on earth. This is because we were created in God's image, and our God is a relational God. And the primary purpose God made us relational is so we can have a personal relationship with Him.

Here are the verses which tell us that being a Christian means having a personal relationship with God:

John 17:3: "And this is eternal life: to KNOW you, the only true God, and the one whom you sent—Jesus the Messiah."

Matthew 7: “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ And then I will declare to them, ‘I never KNEW you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!"

Do you ever invite anyone into your home who you don't know? No. Heaven is Jesus' home and He will not invite anyone into Heaven who He doesn't know.

If we are Christians, we personally KNOW Jesus/God. Certainly, we can step away from that relationship, just like some of us do with our relationship with our mother, but to claim she no longer exists?

If we KNOW God, and then step away from our relationship with Him, there are only 2 possible reasons for this scenario:

1) We KNOW He exists and willingly step away/fall away, maybe due to some temptation or hardship we may blame Him for, which nonetheless does not negate His existence or...

2) We NEVER KNEW Him in the first place. This is the most likely scenario with those who claim to be 'ex-Christians'.

'Ex'Christians' went to church, read the Bible, went to Bible study, maybe even lead a Bible study. I know of pastors who became Christians AFTER 20 years in the ministry! They never KNEW Him up until that point in time 20 years after the fact! They held the position of pastor and told others they were Christians for 20 years when they weren't. They preached the Gospel during that time, counseled others from the Scriptures, held prayer meetings, presided over marriage ceremonies and funerals, etc. etc.

Although they believed in His existence for a time, they never had a personal relationship with Him. There was no personal relationship; only an intellectual belief in God's existence. However, they never KNEW Him. They later changed their minds about His existence when they heard about the theory of evolution, the theory of abiogenesis, the theory of cosmology, the theory of.....whatever.

Intellectual beliefs are things for which we can easily change our minds but personal relationships are a different matter.

This is what happens when we are overly impresses with those who have PhDs in some field of pseudoscience like those areas of speculation mentioned above. Unfortunately, what we don't understand is that immense topics such as the origin of the universe or the origin of life are out of our reach to scientifically confirm, leaving us with speculation about that which occurred in ancient history. There is no way to apply the scientific method - or any other scientific method - to confirm such theories, leaving us with the dubious position of placing our faith in those whom we listen to, with their grand theories and presuppositions.

This is why Jesus said: "Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it."

The level of our education has nothing to do with the condition of our heart. We can have ten PhDs but if we're bent away from God, we're blind, walking in darkness, and on the road to destruction, as well as those who foolishly listen to them.

NO faulty HUMAN BEING will ever be able to tell us, with CERTAINTY, the origins of our universe or origin of life, through ANY technology.

If they try to tell us so, they are not a braniac but a megalomaniac. It should never cease to amaze us how much stretching of the truth, exaggeration, and extravagance of the claims we see in the media today. Every pseudoscientist wants to be in the limelight, and there are throngs of armchair science-fiction fans out there to satisfy their ridiculous egos.

Imagine yourself going to a friend's house, gathering everyone at the house together, and setting up a telescope in the backyard. After gazing at the stars through the telescope for 2 hours, you tell everyone you discovered how the world and cosmos began. They will laugh at you and wonder where you got that oversized ego.

But now, imagine putting a big "PhD" or "University Professor" title on your forehead, and guess what? Some people will actually believe you! So don't be gullible. Be wise and discerning about the truth, including scientific truths (and falsehoods!).

Megalomania:
1. A psychopathological condition characterized by delusional fantasies of wealth, power, or omnipotence.
2. An obsession with grandiose or extravagant things or actions.

Habakkuk 2
See, he is puffed up; his desires are not upright--but the righteous will live by his faith.

Psalm 10: The wicked, through the pride of his countenance, will not seek after God...

1 Timothy
Avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science, falsely so called...

"Where are we when presented with the mystery of life? We find ourselves facing a granite wall which we have not even chipped . . We know virtually nothing of growth, nothing of life."—*W. Kaempffert, "The Greatest Mystery of All: the Secret of Life," New York Times.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I have participated in several Christian religions
and no longer use the notation upon myself

however, the Carpenter remains my Inspiration
and if the angelic care to ask....I would mention His Name first

of course there are consequences

when the angelic take me to Him......He will ask....
What's THIS!?

and the angelic will excuse themselves saying.....
he used your Name as if it belonged to him
we thought he was one of Yours

and they will stand back.....as I have my day of reckoning with my Inspiration

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
ftacky writes:
God made us the most relational creatures in the world. We can communicate and relate in ways that supercede all other creatures on earth. This is because we were created in God's image, and our God is a relational God. And the primary purpose God made us relational is so we can have a personal relationship with Him.

It seems to me humans are about the most irascible and contentious of social animals. We don't get along with ourselves at all, and if God created us to be 'relational' to Him, He sure screwed that up -- how many myriad, completely different "relationships" with God/Gods have human religions invented over the years?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
If I understood the OP correctly, the gist of it is that not too many nominal Christians truly qualify as Christians.

That being (again, according to the OP) because most of them failed to attain a proper personal relationship with God.

Presumably there is also the implication that once one becomes a true Christian it is just not possible to lose interest in Christianity.

lovesong

:D
Premium Member
I was never baptized as a child. Instead I decided I wanted to be later on. I was so dedicated and committed that I wanted to be a real initiated Christian. I lead VBS, wore a cross every day, I even told all my friends about how amazing God was at school. When the pastor told me no, he wouldn't baptize me (he had "reasons"), I got angry with that church and left. I moved on to a fellowship group where we prayed and sang and deeply read the bible. At that point I had never felt so happy before, I had a strong faith and a community to share it with. I spoke in tongues, I read and re-read verses while asking God "what does this mean, what should I do to please you," and always felt confident in what God told me.

Was I not a Christian then?

As time went on it stopped feeling right. I left the fellowship and exploded my options, eventually finding my home and settling down. It isn't that I never knew God, it's that I eventually saw through him, realizing there was so much more to the story than what I was being told. The gods found me, and they gave me so much more than he ever did.

But was I really not a Christian then? Even when singing myself to tears for him and speaking in tongues?

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member

Here are the verses which tell us that being a Christian means having a personal relationship with God:

John 17:3: "And this is eternal life: to KNOW you, the only true God, and the one whom you sent—Jesus the Messiah."

Matthew 7: “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ And then I will declare to them, ‘I never KNEW you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!"

Do you ever invite anyone into your home who you don't know? No. Heaven is Jesus' home and He will not invite anyone into Heaven who He doesn't know.

If we are Christians, we personally KNOW Jesus/God. Certainly, we can step away from that relationship, just like some of us do with our relationship with our mother, but to claim she no longer exists?

If we KNOW God, and then step away from our relationship with Him, there are only 2 possible reasons for this scenario:

1) We KNOW He exists and willingly step away/fall away, maybe due to some temptation or hardship we may blame Him for, which nonetheless does not negate His existence or...

2) We NEVER KNEW Him in the first place. This is the most likely scenario with those who claim to be 'ex-Christians'.

'Ex'Christians' went to church, read the Bible, went to Bible study, maybe even lead a Bible study. I know of pastors who became Christians AFTER 20 years in the ministry! They never KNEW Him up until that point in time 20 years after the fact! They held the position of pastor and told others they were Christians for 20 years when they weren't. They preached the Gospel during that time, counseled others from the Scriptures, held prayer meetings, presided over marriage ceremonies and funerals, etc. etc.

Although they believed in His existence for a time, they never had a personal relationship with Him. There was no personal relationship; only an intellectual belief in God's existence. However, they never KNEW Him. They later changed their minds about His existence when they heard about the theory of evolution, the theory of abiogenesis, the theory of cosmology, the theory of.....whatever.

Intellectual beliefs are things for which we can easily change our minds but personal relationships are a different matter.

This is what happens when we are overly impresses with those who have PhDs in some field of pseudoscience like those areas of speculation mentioned above. Unfortunately, what we don't understand is that immense topics such as the origin of the universe or the origin of life are out of our reach to scientifically confirm, leaving us with speculation about that which occurred in ancient history. There is no way to apply the scientific method - or any other scientific method - to confirm such theories, leaving us with the dubious position of placing our faith in those whom we listen to, with their grand theories and presuppositions.

This is why Jesus said: "Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it."

The level of our education has nothing to do with the condition of our heart. We can have ten PhDs but if we're bent away from God, we're blind, walking in darkness, and on the road to destruction, as well as those who foolishly listen to them.

NO faulty HUMAN BEING will ever be able to tell us, with CERTAINTY, the origins of our universe or origin of life, through ANY technology.

If they try to tell us so, they are not a braniac but a megalomaniac. It should never cease to amaze us how much stretching of the truth, exaggeration, and extravagance of the claims we see in the media today. Every pseudoscientist wants to be in the limelight, and there are throngs of armchair science-fiction fans out there to satisfy their ridiculous egos.

Imagine yourself going to a friend's house, gathering everyone at the house together, and setting up a telescope in the backyard. After gazing at the stars through the telescope for 2 hours, you tell everyone you discovered how the world and cosmos began. They will laugh at you and wonder where you got that oversized ego.

But now, imagine putting a big "PhD" or "University Professor" title on your forehead, and guess what? Some people will actually believe you! So don't be gullible. Be wise and discerning about the truth, including scientific truths (and falsehoods!).

Megalomania:
1. A psychopathological condition characterized by delusional fantasies of wealth, power, or omnipotence.

Habakkuk 2
See, he is puffed up; his desires are not upright--but the righteous will live by his faith.

Psalm 10: The wicked, through the pride of his countenance, will not seek after God...

1 Timothy
Avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science, falsely so called...

"Where are we when presented with the mystery of life? We find ourselves facing a granite wall which we have not even chipped . . We know virtually nothing of growth, nothing of life."—*W. Kaempffert, "The Greatest Mystery of All: the Secret of Life," New York Times.
It is the same for the followers of all religions.....only the sincere and devoted aspirants get past the belief and ritual stage to realize directly THAT which is beyond conceptual understanding... Nevertheless....we can say the simple belief phase is an essential prerequisite for the ultimate transcending of the religious belief...

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

Megalomania:

Habakkuk 2

1 Timothy

So if someone who leaves your church was never a Christian, you give their tithes back, right?

ukok102nak

~;> first thing first
know whose god is this
becaused their is a commandment that say something like this
as it is written
:read:
1 John 4:1
Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.

secondly we should
have a personal relationship unto our own kind (human beings) then unto our surroundings

as they say
so as it is written
:read:
1 John 4:20
If a man says, "I love God," and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen, cannot love God whom he has not seen.
21 This commandment we have from him, that he who loves God should also love his brother.

. ... just for a thought
if we may say so ... .

:ty:

godbless
unto all always

Megalomania:

Habakkuk 2

1 Timothy

Skwim

Veteran Member
No Such Thing as an Ex-Christian!
Excuse me! I be just such a thing.
images

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
How can something "relational" be the image of God if God is single? God is one. Monotheism, you know. Mono means one. Relation means something relating between two or more.

By the way, "supercede" (spelled "supersede") means to replace something. I'm not sure how our communication and relationship is replacing animals. Perhaps you meant that our ability to relate is superior to the animals? That would make more sense.

Sapiens

Polymathematician
z

Megalomania:

Habakkuk 2

1 Timothy

This is all religion, there is no science, it belongs in a different forum.

NewGuyOnTheBlock

Cult Survivor/Fundamentalist Pentecostal Apostate
Sooo ... Because I am an Ex-Christian, that means I never WAS a Christian?

Ever heard of the "No True Scotsman" fallacy? Holding this ridiculous belief that someone who believed could turn later and NOT belief certainly cushions you from doubt. Its called being "indoctrinated" and "cognitive dissonance".

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Sooo ... Because I am an Ex-Christian, that means I never WAS a Christian?

Ever heard of the "No True Scotsman" fallacy? Holding this ridiculous belief that someone who believed could turn later and NOT belief certainly cushions you from doubt. Its called being "indoctrinated" and "cognitive dissonance".
He is saying, if I understand correctly, that a Christian must have realized Christhood, not merely believed in it... Once Christhood has been realized, that is all there is...

Kelly of the Phoenix

God made us the most relational creatures in the world. We can communicate and relate in ways that supercede all other creatures on earth.
By "cheating" with technology. From what I understand, humpback whales can spread messages across the ocean. Can you?

And the primary purpose God made us relational is so we can have a personal relationship with Him.
From what I've read in Genesis, apparently we were designed specifically to maintain a garden, like a maintenance worker or landscape artist. Can you show in Genesis that God wanted a relationship with the first people on the planet? He doesn't really interact much with Adam and Eve except to gripe and only comes around to talk to Cain to gripe about the death of Abel. Had He desired a RELATIONSHIP, He would've hung out with humanity more, yes? If you'll forgive me: I detest fathers who think calling once every 10 years or so shows they "care".

Do you ever invite anyone into your home who you don't know? No.
I am an introvert. Lots of people have entered my house that I don't know personally because I don't socialize much.

Heaven is Jesus' home and He will not invite anyone into Heaven who He doesn't know.
He hasn't personally met billions if not trillions of people throughout the history of Earth. Heaven must get really lonely for him.

If we are Christians, we personally KNOW Jesus/God.
I don't see that group identity is proof of a relationship, much like how my memberships in organizations pretty much translate to "I paid my annual fee", not that I participated in all the meetings.

They never KNEW Him up until that point in time 20 years after the fact!
So they were committing fraud?

They held the position of pastor and told others they were Christians for 20 years when they weren't.
Stop paying them and I can guarantee you'll weed out a lot of them.

This is what happens when we are overly impresses with those who have PhDs in some field of pseudoscience like those areas of speculation mentioned above.
I'm supposed to be impressed in the credentials of a pastor who paid a few bucks online to get the ability to be called "ordained"?

Unfortunately, what we don't understand is that immense topics such as the origin of the universe or the origin of life are out of our reach to scientifically confirm, leaving us with speculation about that which occurred in ancient history.
Just because the TV confuses my dog doesn't mean he doesn't know at least what it does if not how it works. YOU may not understand science, but reality doesn't need your ability to understand to work. You don't get to sign off on facts.

A REAL God would widen the door since His grace is so hardcore. He'd install ramps and such for those unable to walk. He's God, not the owner of a posh nightclub.

NO faulty HUMAN BEING will ever be able to tell us, with CERTAINTY, the origins of a dirt guy and his trans sister.

Every pseudoscientist wants to be in the limelight
So does every so called mouthpiece of God, but we still get those types every single day....

That being (again, according to the OP) because most of them failed to attain a proper personal relationship with God.
A "real" relationship with God wouldn't leave the OP with such a fragile faith that must rely on untruths and fake humility to deal with the day to day. :)

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
So if someone who leaves your church was never a Christian, you give their tithes back, right?
Ha hahaha!!!

Wernt the blessings and rewards for tithes and "love" seed/gifts supposed to be overflowing and bountiful or something like that?

*grin*