• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No schools

Yerda

Veteran Member
Waste of time. People can learn how to write and do simple arithmetics in one month top. Everything else school offers is a waste of time.
Even if this was the case, having children educated socially allows their parents to go out and work in the productive economy.

There is defintely scope for a more bespoke education system now with the internet and devices and such. If we were really focused on producing educated, well rounded individuals - free to pursue whatever catches their interest - the education system could be great for the vast majority of children. Instead most countries are still trying churn out worker bees, forced through standard curriculums that sap all the fun and spontaneity out of learning.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Is it not the case that people who can afford to send their children to Private Schools also are most likely to be able to afford to surround their children with books, educational toys and treat them to trips to museums, etc.
Home schooling can be good if parents have the time and energy to provide it.
I selected the wrong graph... subsequent information is the correct homeschool graph.

Kenny

Premium Member
One thing to keep in mind is that public schools have to take everyone, private schools don't. On average the private school/homeschool parent is more involved with the kid and the kids are in a better situation to learn over a public school kid in my experience. The outcome of a kids education is mostly influenced by the parents in my opinion. Most of the kids I see struggling in school have a bad home situation.
I selected the wrong graph... subsequent information is the correct homeschool graph.

And, yes, parents have a lot to do with it too.

Kenny

Premium Member
But socializing with others, including those that don't look like or act like us, is a BIG part of education.

The unfortunate reality is that both homeschooling and parochial & charter schools can feed racism, religious bigotry, and have serious consequences for the student and for society as a whole.
there is potential in any situation. My daughter-in-law, who doesn't have much melanin, went to a public school where racism was against her. Socializing doesn't translate into non-racism results.

There is racism, bullying et al in public schools so I don't think your information has a valid point.

Kenny

Premium Member
It's certainly a way to shield kids from the idea that LGBTQ people should be treated with respect and kindness... at least for a few years.
But my children did teach that. With all the public school bullying, is it really being taught in public schools?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Certainly homeschool is better

View attachment 68643
Much of those results are because of the fact private school don't have to accept everyone, (and can more easily boot them out) and only take 'qualified' entrants. Public schools must take everyone. Here in my province in Canada we had one private school that always scores best on the PATs (Provincial Achievement Tests). Guess what? They have an admission test as well. So you have to be smart just to get into the place.

Kenny

Premium Member
Much of those results are because of the fact private school don't have to accept everyone, (and can more easily boot them out) and only take 'qualified' entrants. Public schools must take everyone. Here in my province in Canada we had one private school that always scores best on the PATs (Provincial Achievement Tests). Guess what? They have an admission test as well. So you have to be smart just to get into the place.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Having all eleven of my grandchildren homeschooled.... socialization is NOT one of the problems. :)

In his study, Homeschooled Children’s Social Skills, researcher Richard G. Medlin, Ph.D., a Professor of the Department of Psychology at Stetson University, not only cites the survey of those not-so-Superintendents but also offers a vast list of studies and evidence supporting the idea that homeschool children are superbly well socialized. Most homeschool parents are quite dedicated to ensuring this is the case.

And are you saying that there are no poor public school teachers?
Really public schools are not great for socializing. Where else will you ever spend all day with people your own age? Kids need to interact with people across the spectrum.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I really wonder the best way to combat the problem... I know the schools try; they really do. But it doesn't seem to be working.
In a sense, they are working because we're still the #1 economic power worldwide and the American educational system has fed this. However, we definitely need to make some changes.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
there is potential in any situation. My daughter-in-law, who doesn't have much melanin, went to a public school where racism was against her. Socializing doesn't translate into non-racism results.

There is racism, bullying et al in public schools so I don't think your information has a valid point.
Racism is going to be around forever, so the only real question is how to handle it? Allowing for more segregation certainly is not the answer. Once polarization sets in, then all too many people tend to see this in through that spectrum. The old South definitely shows this this to be the case and, unfortunately, all so many still do.

And if you think bullying is just in public schools, I got news for you. My daughter pulled our grandson out of a parochial school for this reason and sent him to another that was more integrated, and the problem was basically solved.

BTW, I experienced some anti-white racism when I did volunteer work at a Boys Club in Kalamazoo, and it was not the kids but by two of the managers that were black. IOW, no one has a monopoly on racism.

Kenny

Premium Member
Racism is going to be around forever, so the only real question is how to handle it? Allowing for more segregation certainly is not the answer. Once polarization sets in, then all too many people tend to see this in through that spectrum. The old South definitely shows this this to be the case and, unfortunately, all so many still do.

And if you think bullying is just in public schools, I got news for you. My daughter pulled our grandson out of a parochial school for this reason and sent him to another that was more integrated, and the problem was basically solved.

BTW, I experienced some anti-white racism when I did volunteer work at a Boys Club in Kalamazoo, and it was not the kids but by two of the managers that were black. IOW, no one has a monopoly on racism.

I think we just said the same thing! :)