• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No schools

syo

Waste of time. People can learn how to write and do simple arithmetics in one month top. Everything else school offers is a waste of time.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Waste of time. People can learn how to write and do simple arithmetics in one month top. Everything else school offers is a waste of time.
Certainly homeschool is better

Screen Shot 2022-11-18 at 7.09.06 AM.png

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member

My formal education was very valuable to me and still pays dividends today. It ended with a professional degree and certification, but I also learned critical thinking, which immunizes one from indoctrination if he can learn when belief is unjustified. How valuable is it to have been able to make sound decisions regarding Covid vaccination while so many others were forced to guess who to trust?

But that's not all. This education taught me how to continue learning once my formal education had ended, which had been very narrow and focused on life and medical sciences. Much of my education followed graduation (philosophy, quantum science, relativity, earth science, cosmology, comparative religions, history). Much of it came from paperback book sold in mall bookstores like B. Dalton, and much from my Encyclopedia Brittanica.

How valuable is all of that?

Kenny

Premium Member
Unless....
- The teacher is poor.
- One needs socialization.

There is no one size fits all solution.
Having all eleven of my grandchildren homeschooled.... socialization is NOT one of the problems. :)

In his study, Homeschooled Children’s Social Skills, researcher Richard G. Medlin, Ph.D., a Professor of the Department of Psychology at Stetson University, not only cites the survey of those not-so-Superintendents but also offers a vast list of studies and evidence supporting the idea that homeschool children are superbly well socialized. Most homeschool parents are quite dedicated to ensuring this is the case.

And are you saying that there are no poor public school teachers?

pearl

Try telling that to a would-be employer, or even to a military recruiter. Credentials don't matter if your happy with sweeping floors, etc.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Having all eleven of my grandchildren homeschooled.... socialization is NOT one of the problems. :)
The home schoolers I've know dint have so many students.
And there's something to be said for meeting kids outside
the family.
As someone once said...
There is no one size fits all solution for all people.
And are you saying that there are no poor public school teachers?
I counter with the question....
And are you saying that all home school teachers are good?

We must all consider our individual
circumstances, & make optimum decisions.

Kenny

Premium Member
It's trickier to compare than these charts make it seem. I'm assuming for the most part these are comparisons of standardised testing results, and for the most part such tests are optional for home-schooled kids.
I think it's more situational than clearcut.

Not really. It may be optional but those who want to go to college take it. (Having grandchildren homeschooled, I know)

Besides:

"After years of skepticism, even mistrust, many college officials now realize it's in their best interest to seek out home-schoolers, said Barmak Nassirian, associate executive director of the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers.

"There was a tendency to kind of dismiss home schooling as inherently less rigorous," he said. "The attitude of the admissions profession could have at best been described as skeptical."

Home-schooled students — whose numbers in this country range from an estimated 1.1 million to as high as 2 million — often come to college equipped with the skills necessary to succeed in higher education, said Regina Morin, admissions director of Columbia College.

Such assets include intellectual curiosity, independent study habits and critical thinking skills, she said.

"It's one of the fastest-growing college pools in the nation," she said. "And they tend to be some of the best prepared.""

Some Colleges Seeking Out Home-Schooled Students

Kenny

Premium Member
The home schoolers I've know dint have so many students.
And there's something to be said for meeting kids outside
the family.
As someone once said...
There is no one size fits all solution for all people.

I counter with the question....
And are you saying that all home school teachers are good?

We must all consider our individual
circumstances, & make optimum decisions.
The answer is "you are correct".

However, we are talking about averages, which takes into account bad teachers on both sides, and the average says that homeschoolers are better prepared for the future.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The answer is "you are correct".

However, we are talking about averages, which takes into account bad teachers on both sides, and the average says that homeschoolers are better prepared for the future.
Let's be sure to apply what's best on average to all situations.

2 economists shoot at a target.
One hits far to the left of the bullseye.
The other hits far to the right.
He exclaims...
"Hey, on average, we hit the bullseye!"

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe

Homeschooling in Germany is only allowed if your kid is so severely handicapped that they can't go even to a school for handicapped children.

I think many homeschool advocates are in favor of it because they want to keep the opportunity to indoctrinate their kids. A Hare Krishna acquaintance kept his eldest son out of school because they shouldn't be exposed to mass media and/or consumption of meat. (I guess he couldn't afford to pay the fine for not sending the others to school). The boy in question will have a wonderful life once he's grown up. o_O

Audie

Veteran Member
Much is revealed in this.

We have a saying, Chinese have to
be smart, to learn to speak and write
Chinese.

See if you can learn 30 characters in
30 days.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Certainly homeschool is better

View attachment 68643
Is it not the case that people who can afford to send their children to Private Schools also are most likely to be able to afford to surround their children with books, educational toys and treat them to trips to museums, etc.
Home schooling can be good if parents have the time and energy to provide it.