• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No*s - Moderator

Status
Not open for further replies.

fromthe heart

No*s said:
On the first level, it's just been turned into a baby-setting system. It passes people regardless; children graduate scarcely able to read. It has, thus, failed in its primary purpose (i.e. educating children adequately). My little brother was learning about the Roman Empire, for instance, and the teacher didn't teach him who the first Roman Emperor was (and didn't know after I told him to ask). Colleges teaching a foreign language (I am familiar with ancient ones) must give definitions even for basic structures like nouns, and someone coming into college should already know that.

This failure slows down the secondary education process from the second example above. The university must teach them concepts they should be able to take for granted. This, in its turn, weakens the university, so that our youth fail to get as good an education as they can there.

This is something new. I talk to my former professors, and they explain to me that they didn't always have to do this. I talk to other older folks, and they tell me about learning grammar even into high school. It's a change, and it's a change for the worst. I suspect this has something to do a) with the degradatin of American sense of responsibility so that it leaks into the family and b) the monopoly of the public education system.

I, therefore, support a voucher system, but one that is intended to replace the public schools. Let parents hire a home schooler or take the kids to another school. The competition and capitalism will drive down prices and increase the quality of the product. It would work like our capitalist system has in other areas.

It would also remove a stumbling block to the separation of church and state. No matter what, schools must teach children something relating to religion, some philosphy, some morality. This removes this problem. Nobody can complain their kids are taught materialism or that some form of far east meditation was used or that they were forced to pray a Christian prayer. In each case, it was a private institution or individual teaching the practice. Just pull the kid out and transfer him/her.
I find that to be very accurate with what I see as well...When there was an introduction to a certian way of life that was to be taught to be accepted by those in teh public school system I pulled my daughter and home schooled her...She learned so much more and was offered a full scholarship to a college in Texas. She has since put her first child in the public school system but as soon as it becomes a learning problem she will home school...The elementary school in our area is excellent and I won't say which it is but some of the teachers still lead in prayer despite the laws...NO ONE disagrees with them doing it...we're lucky in that all want prayer BACK in school at least here in this area. I think things such as this should be by school and not something forced on for the students and parents that approve it should be allowed.

I love your posts so keep up being you and it'll make me real happy<HUGS>

No*s

Captain Obvious
Master Vigil said:
Ever think of writing a comic, and me illustrating it? :D

Perhaps we could do something like that. It might be fun, since we both like comics a lot :D

No*s

Captain Obvious
fromthe heart said:
I find that to be very accurate with what I see as well...When there was an introduction to a certian way of life that was to be taught to be accepted by those in teh public school system I pulled my daughter and home schooled her...She learned so much more and was offered a full scholarship to a college in Texas. She has since put her first child in the public school system but as soon as it becomes a learning problem she will home school...The elementary school in our area is excellent and I won't say which it is but some of the teachers still lead in prayer despite the laws...NO ONE disagrees with them doing it...we're lucky in that all want prayer BACK in school at least here in this area. I think things such as this should be by school and not something forced on for the students and parents that approve it should be allowed.

I love your posts so keep up being you and it'll make me real happy<HUGS>

I hope you manage to keep things going the way you want it for grandchildren, albeit it will most likely be in homeschooling.

*hugs in return*

No*s

Captain Obvious
angellous_evangellous said:
I misread this as do you eat Texas Baptists? :eek:

to which No*s replied

So do you eat Texas Baptists?

Aw, Nate, you remember that big BBQ back in Wayland, and do you remember the students that "moved" away....

No*s

Captain Obvious
Scott1 said:
"Mmmm.... tastes like chicken."

Hehe.... good to see you back on RF my friend.

May we all be one,
Scott

Thanks Scott. It's good to be back. Now, my question is whether it's the fava beans that taste like chicken :p.

Status
Not open for further replies.