• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No running water? Schwarzenegger

Jumi

It's at 45.278951, -122.845257 and the roof is collapsed, so it is all gone except for one wall. My brother and I last visited out there two years ago. That hillside is all covered with mansions now.
It's interesting that I can in today's world look at that place from google maps from half across the world... it looks like there's very pleasing surrounding area there.

I grew up there, "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times..." I used to sit in the woods or in a field and marvelled at nature. And it was there that I was often beaten savagely. Frequently he would threaten to kill me... You try to forget the bad things and remember the good ones. :)
Time heals wounds... though it can be slow. It took me very long time to get over some of mine. There's a place I had some traumatic experiences, but where I could live today without caring for them at all. The people responsible for the trauma had their own issues to deal with and it was no fault of the place... but it felt like I would never want to go there again ever. Well, I've promised to go there this summer to see the old places... I think I'll be 100% nostalgia, 0% trauma this time.

Jumi

Yes quite probably, the jokes in france are about bureaucracy.
I've heard about that,

ast-and-ob-the-legionary-info-bureau-e1493653847218-696x378.png

Bureaucrazy I sometimes call it. Regulating... sometimes it's good for high standards, but sometimes it's just to employ more bureaucrats.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Interesting. Most of the tests are unnecessary here too, but there's people selling it as a service and you're not allowed to start work unless it's tested so they make some nice spare change on asbestos testing.
If one is a landlord doing work in a residential rental property,
one better test for "suspected asbestos" (a useful term), & if
found, follow legal procedures for removal or encapsulation.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I've heard about that,

ast-and-ob-the-legionary-info-bureau-e1493653847218-696x378.png

Bureaucrazy I sometimes call it. Regulating... sometimes it's good for high standards, but sometimes it's just to employ more bureaucrats.

With brexit we are hitting mountains of bureaucracy just to get permission to live in our home.

I have been trying to exchange my driving licence for a french on for 5 months.

Sort of like lucky we cant apply for french citizenship yet (not been here long enough) a friend has been in the process for 10 months, last week 4 police officers turned up to interrogate her about her life. Frightened the life out of her

Jumi

If one is a landlord doing work in a residential rental property,
one better test for "suspected asbestos" (a useful term), & if
found, follow legal procedures for removal or encapsulation.
Our law sounds about the same, though doing work on your own home also needs the tests. Not sure if they do encapsulation here as I've only heard of removing it. Asbestos was banned here in 1994 both in residential and other places, so people buying apartments sometimes want to see if the apartments are tested for asbestos if they're built earlier than '94. I heard the US had an incomplete ban, but I don't know what that means exactly. Sounds to me like it still could be useful in some industry applications...

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Our law sounds about the same, though doing work on your own home also needs the tests. Not sure if they do encapsulation here as I've only heard of removing it. Asbestos was banned here in 1994 both in residential and other places, so people buying apartments sometimes want to see if the apartments are tested for asbestos if they're built earlier than '94. I heard the US had an incomplete ban, but I don't know what that means exactly. Sounds to me like it still could be useful in some industry applications...
Encapsulation can be safer than removal in some cases.
This is because there's no risk of friable material becoming airborne.
And once encapsulated, it's perfectly safe.

I only speak of rental properties because that was my concern.
Lead is tricky to handle too.
I once had to remove lead walls (from an X-ray room).

Ellen Brown

It's interesting that I can in today's world look at that place from google maps from half across the world... it looks like there's very pleasing surrounding area there.

Time heals wounds... though it can be slow. It took me very long time to get over some of mine. There's a place I had some traumatic experiences, but where I could live today without caring for them at all. The people responsible for the trauma had their own issues to deal with and it was no fault of the place... but it felt like I would never want to go there again ever. Well, I've promised to go there this summer to see the old places... I think I'll be 100% nostalgia, 0% trauma this time.

I hope that you do and it is pleasant, inshallah. One of the things that keeps me searching for God and truth is that I spent a life in anger and bitterness at him. But after joining the Mormon Church which required Baptism, I was healed of all that. I've since left them because of abuse of the members, and won't join another one. I suppose it must be a Yin/Yang thing that I do not understand.

PureX

Veteran Member
Interesting. Most of the tests are unnecessary here too, but there's people selling it as a service and you're not allowed to start work unless it's tested so they make some nice spare change on asbestos testing.
Yeah, building codes often use the excuse of safety to becomes a form of 'taxation' for the inspectors.
I can imagine. Was the gas for kitchens? Is it still common to use gas lines in apartment buildings in the US?
Yes, we still use natural gas for heating and cooking in much of the U.S.,. Normally, those old gas lighting lines were disconnected from the house lines and the ends used to mount the plates that the electric wiring and lights connected to. It was always a bit exciting to remove one of those old mounting plates because we never knew for sure if the old gas line that held them in place had really been disconnected, or was still live. They turned out to still be live on several occasions.

Jumi

Encapsulation can be safer than removal in some cases.
This is because there's no risk of friable material becoming airborne.
And once encapsulated, it's perfectly safe.
I agree with the encapsulation idea, actually. Any website that I come across locally talks only about removal. There isn't any requirement to remove it though, unless work is done where there is asbestos.

I only speak of rental properties because that was my concern.
Lead is tricky to handle too.
I once had to remove lead walls (from an X-ray room).
Yeah, just removing lead paint was a chore, can only imagine the wall... when I was in school we did lead content analyses for paints. Everyone brought their own sample. Surprisingly many found it on their houses or grandparent's houses. (It's not legal to sell anymore in Finland)

Jumi

Yes, we still use natural gas for heating and cooking in much of the U.S.,. Normally, those old gas lighting lines were disconnected from the house lines and the ends used to mount the plates that the electric wiring and lights connected to. It was always a bit exciting to remove one of those old mounting plates because we never knew for sure if the old gas line that held them in place had really been disconnected, or was still live. They turned out to still be live on several occasions.
I've seen those explode in videos. Did you get extra pay for "hazardous work" for that?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I agree with the encapsulation idea, actually. Any website that I come across locally talks only about removal. There isn't any requirement to remove it though, unless work is done where there is asbestos.

Yeah, just removing lead paint was a chore, can only imagine the wall... when I was in school we did lead content analyses for paints. Everyone brought their own sample. Surprisingly many found it on their houses or grandparent's houses. (It's not legal to sell anymore in Finland)
Lead paint has been banned here since 1978.
If we find it, we don't have to remove it.
But we extensively warn tenants about it.
They get a special disclosure form, & a booklet.

One of the biggest dangers to children is in windows.
The sliding surfaces cause tiny paint/lead particles to slough off.

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
Yeah, electricity is mostly for convenience. At least in temperature climates it's quite comfortable without electricity as long as you don't need any equipment that needs it or computers/phones.
And now it is quite easy price wise, to obtain solar powered charging units. But I go camping for a week straight and don't miss electric or my phone! :)

PureX

Veteran Member
I've seen those explode in videos. Did you get extra pay for "hazardous work" for that?
This is the United States we're talking about. Working class people here are lucky that they still get paid anything at all. Our president, the business mogul everyone so loves and admires, just refused pay them anything, and told them to sue him for it (knowing they couldn't afford a decade-long law suit). That's how we roll over here, these days.

Ellen Brown

This is the United States we're talking about. Working class people here are lucky that they still get paid anything at all. Our president, the business mogul everyone so loves and admires, just refused pay them anything, and told them to sue him for it (knowing they couldn't afford a decade-long law suit). That's how we roll over here, these days.

In Construction, a favorite tactic was to contest the bill, previously agreed to, and wind up settling for less to avoid losing it all, and going out of business because it took too long.

PureX

Veteran Member
In Construction, a favorite tactic was to contest the bill, previously agreed to, and wind up settling for less to avoid losing it all, and going out of business because it took too long.
When profit is all that matters, and ethics get in the way of those profits (as ethics always will), this sort of behavior becomes "just shrewd business". And in a capitalist economic system, returning the maximum profit on the capital invested is the one and only purpose of commercial enterprise, because the capital investors get to make all the decisions. So all the decisions they make are based on returning a maximum profit on the capital they've invested. The harm done to anyone else involved in the commercial exchange is irrelevant to them, especially if it's being done out of sight and out of mind by their well-paid toadies.

This, in a nutshell, is what is slowly and inexorably destroying modern human civilization. It is eating itself from within, with greed, and it's total collapse is the ONLY possible end result. Unfortunately, we are pretty much all still refusing to recognize it or do anything about it, and so it becomes inevitable. I feel bad for the youngsters. A lot of blood and tears will flow when that collapse finally happens. It will be horrific on an epic scale. And it will have been OUR generation that laid the course.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
When profit is all that matters, and ethics get in the way of those profits (as ethics always will), this sort of behavior becomes "just shrewd business". And in a capitalist economic system, returning the maximum profit on the capital invested is the one and only purpose of commercial enterprise, because the capital investors get to make all the decisions. So all the decisions they make are based on returning a maximum profit on the capital they've invested. The harm done to anyone else involved in the commercial exchange is irrelevant to them, especially if it's being done out of sight and out of mind by their well-paid toadies.

This, in a nutshell, is what is slowly and inexorably destroying modern human civilization. It is eating itself from within, with greed, and it's total collapse is the ONLY possible end result. Unfortunately, we are pretty much all still refusing to recognize it or do anything about it, and so it becomes inevitable. I feel bad for the youngsters. A lot of blood and tears will flow when that collapse finally happens. It will be horrific on an epic scale. And it will have been OUR generation that laid the course.
You must do business in a really horrible area.
Where I live, the people I deal with are quite ethical.
I have dealt with some bad apples over the years,
but I never use them again. You should move.

PureX

Veteran Member
You must do business in a really horrible area.
Where I live, the people I deal with are quite ethical.
I have dealt with some bad apples over the years,
but I never use them again. You should move.
People are pretty good when they do business one-on-one. They would have to see and face the results of their unethical behavior. But as businesses get larger, wealthier, and more politically powerful, their investors no longer have to face the people their businesses interact with. And it becomes very easy in the privacy of the board room to decide to behave unethically for the sake of bigger profits. And the minions that actually have to carry out those unethical decisions will do it happily when they're getting really well paid for doing it. So that as we in the U.S. have allowed corporate conglomerates to become so big, so wealthy, and so politically powerful that we dare not ever charge any of their investors or CEOs with malfeasance, or even let them collapse under the weight of their own greed and criminality, there is really no place to go, anymore. Is there. Where do you suggest we go to escape from the insurance conglomerates? And the pharma conglomerates? And the oil and gas conglomerates? And the banking conglomerates? And the health care conglomerates? And the agra conglomerates?

Where are the mom and pop hardware stores, and grocery stores, and diners, and service stations, where the owner-operators see their customers face to face, and spend their profits back into the communities from which they come? Because they aren't in this country, anymore. They were driven out of business long ago by our own ignorance and greed, when we just couldn't resist buying crappy products made by slave laborers in foreign sweatshops sold in giant national and global conglomerate chain stores for a for few cents less.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Where are the mom and pop hardware stores, and grocery stores, and diners, and service stations, where the owner-operators see their customers face to face, and spend their profits back into the communities from which they come? Because they aren't in this country, anymore. They were driven out of business long ago by our own ignorance and greed, when we just couldn't resist buying crappy products made by slave laborers in foreign sweatshops sold in giant national and global conglomerate chain stores for a for few cents less.
What country do you live in?
Whatever it is, you should move to Americastan.
We still have small businesses. And I deal with
many large ones who are pleasure to use.