• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No Religion - Nearly 10 Million Australians.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I remember what my life was like when I was a Christian and the years before that, so there is no question in my mind that freeing myself from all the Christian indoctrination I had been subjected to in my life was the best decision that I've ever made for my mental health. For me, abandoning my Christian faith was a matter of survival since I found being a Christian to be a very painful experience that seriously harmed my mental health, which in turn badly affected my physical health. I don't regret my decision to abandon my Christian faith. I can't speak for other ex-Christians on why they left Christianity, but the reason I shared is why I left Christianity.

I found a that is what I need to do when I was a professional golfer. :D

Golf started destroying a good walk.

Now years later, I realise it was my state of mind and not the game of golf that was the problem.

Regards Tony

Bathos Logos

As I explained, you don't know the numbers. You only have numbers for the past few centuries in reality. No one was comparing the now and the past. YOu cannot compare without statistics.
Perhaps I mistook part of what you had written, but it seemed like you were stating that it could or would likely go back and forth like it had in the past - pointing out that atheists have always existed, etc. But that ignores changes that have taken place that, if permanent, could alter the normality of ebb and flow that could be said to have been established even in the past 2,000 years.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
I think people do tend to turn to religion or spirituality when things get bad, they are in trouble or need. But ultimately I think only a Savior will help. From my perspective that Savior is the One foretold in the biblical scriptures-Jesus Christ.

This is the problem. Does anyone really think a saviour is going to redeem people who are content to be split into 40,000 sects or religions that condemn other religions?

I personally believe the Saviour will only be interested in saving those who want to get along and work together not those who pompously proclaim themselves to be the only custodians of truth. All are God’s children not any one group or Faith.

Which Christians is Jesus going to save the Catholics, protestants, Mormons, Jehovah's witnesses or the tens of thousands who claim to believe in the same God but can’t get along?

I think Jesus would go straight to the atheists and humanists not those who have brought the name of religion into disrepute by wars, prejudices, sex scandals and division. If all the religionists worked together God would bless humanity but each religion says the other is false and only it is right. I honestly don’t believe any Saviour would waste His time with people who have that sort of attitude.

God wants us all to love each other and that includes each other’s religion. For far too long religion has been the cause of division and hatred. A Saviour would likely make it His first priority to stop religious prejudices and base His Kingdom on love for everyone not any particular sect or religion.

I believe if the Saviour told all religions to accept each other, they would once again seek to crucify Him. Isn’t it mentioned that the Lord wants the ‘wolf and the lamb’ that is the antagonistic elements of society to lie down beside one another in peace?

I don’t believe that any religionist, no matter how devout, that doesn’t seek reconciliation with all humanity to be a true believer in God or love. I can’t deny the truth of Buddha or Muhammad or Krishna as I would be denying God if I just stuck to my own sect.

I was once brainwashed by priests to only see Jesus as true and all other religions as false and from the devil. I’m glad by the grace of God I was freed from that cage never to be manipulated again by leaders who don’t want peace or love but only seek division and power. Saying Jesus is the only truth is akin to saying only one race or one nationality are good and the rest of the devil. I believe in Jesus but not what priests teach that other religions are false. Jesus never taught that. All religions are true.

InChrist

Free4ever
[
This is the problem. Does anyone really think a saviour is going to redeem people who are content to be split into 40,000 sects or religions that condemn other religions?

I personally believe the Saviour will only be interested in saving those who want to get along and work together not those who pompously proclaim themselves to be the only custodians of truth. All are God’s children not any one group or Faith.

Which Christians is Jesus going to save the Catholics, protestants, Mormons, Jehovah's witnesses or the tens of thousands who claim to believe in the same God but can’t get along?

I think Jesus would go straight to the atheists and humanists not those who have brought the name of religion into disrepute by wars, prejudices, sex scandals and division. If all the religionists worked together God would bless humanity but each religion says the other is false and only it is right. I honestly don’t believe any Saviour would waste His time with people who have that sort of attitude.

God wants us all to love each other and that includes each other’s religion. For far too long religion has been the cause of division and hatred. A Saviour would likely make it His first priority to stop religious prejudices and base His Kingdom on love for everyone not any particular sect or religion.

I believe if the Saviour told all religions to accept each other, they would once again seek to crucify Him. Isn’t it mentioned that the Lord wants the ‘wolf and the lamb’ that is the antagonistic elements of society to lie down beside one another in peace?

I don’t believe that any religionist, no matter how devout, that doesn’t seek reconciliation with all humanity to be a true believer in God or love. I can’t deny the truth of Buddha or Muhammad or Krishna as I would be denying God if I just stuck to my own sect.

I was once brainwashed by priests to only see Jesus as true and all other religions as false and from the devil. I’m glad by the grace of God I was freed from that cage never to be manipulated again by leaders who don’t want peace or love but only seek division and power. Saying Jesus is the only truth is akin to saying only one race or one nationality are good and the rest of the devil. I believe in Jesus but not what priests teach that other religions are false. Jesus never taught that. All religions are true.
Thank you for sharing your views. I appreciate hearing or reading your thoughts. I believe all organized religions are false self-effort and self-exalting endeavors and a distraction from knowing and having a relationship with the eternal Creator. I believe Jesus will save all who belong to Him if all races, tribes, and nations, not any one religion.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
I believe in this age religions are being brought to account and as religionists have failed to unite in peace and love, God will replace them with another people.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think people do tend to turn to religion or spirituality when things get bad, they are in trouble or need. But ultimately I think only a Savior will help. From my perspective that Savior is the One foretold in the biblical scriptures-Jesus Christ.

It may very well be that it is the confusion over this topic as to why many have turned away from Faith?

Science shows us that the flesh perishes, that whatever creates life, also takes it away via natural laws. Jeus also offered this, that the flesh amounts to nothing.

Maybe people of faith, we need to take another look at what it is to be born again from flesh into the Spirit? Start reconciliation of possible erroneous views?

Regards Tony

firedragon

Veteran Member
Perhaps I mistook part of what you had written, but it seemed like you were stating that it could or would likely go back and forth like it had in the past - pointing out that atheists have always existed, etc. But that ignores changes that have taken place that, if permanent, could alter the normality of ebb and flow that could be said to have been established even in the past 2,000 years.

You think there were no atheists a thousands years ago?

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The great and spacious buildings, and corrupt organizations will fall. Everyone realized they don't need to lean on any arms of flesh, no middlemen.

The true church is not "organized religion" :) those who are independent free thinkers are coming into power.

I had another thought. From a faith based position, maybe God's plan, is not our plans.
;)

Maybe independent free thinkers need to find a balance?

We indeed have to consider many things.

Regards Tony

QuestioningMind

I like to have an open mind about ultimatums, maybe life is more like 1 = 1 = 1 = 1 = 1

Consider the human species. We are many but should be as 1.

Maybe Faith and no Faith are as 1

I am trying to change a black and white mindset.

Maybe black and white are 1

Regards Tony
Cool... so how about answering my question?

How can faith be a reliable source of truth when I can have faith that 2+2=5 and you can have faith that 2+2=9 and in reality 2+2+4?

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Thank you for posting those verses. My view concerns the entire passage and the end time signs Jesus referred to which would precede His coming again and the generation alive at that time. I agree that the particular verses you highlighted did indicate that some of the disciples He was speaking to would see the kingdom of God before they died and three of them did. A few verses later in Matthew it describes how Peter, James, and John had a glimpse of Christ in His glory and kingdom...

Now after six days Jesus took Peter, James, and John his brother, led them up on a high mountain by themselves; 2 and He was transfigured before them. His face shone like the sun, and His clothes became as white as the light. 3 And behold, Moses and Elijah appeared to them, talking with Him.
Matthew 17:1-3

Anyway, I think we need a Savior. Do you think humans can or will save ourselves from this...

• The world produces about 360 million tons of plastics annually, and up to 12 million tons of it ends up in our oceans each year
  • Estimates suggest that by 2050, our oceans will contain more plastic than fish by weight. Already, in some ocean waters’ plastic exceeds plankton by a factor of 6-to-1
  • Research suggests the average person swallows up to 68,415 plastic fibers each year just from the plastic dust particles landing on their plates during meals
  • The average person also ingests about 100 plastic particles each year from shell fish — remnants of microplastic water pollution
  • Tests have revealed bottled water contains on average 325 pieces of microplastic particles per liter — contamination thought to originate from the manufacturing process of the bottles and caps
Do You Have Plastic Inside of You?

That’s just one big problem we have created.
I agree with you about the problem.

My own view is that everyone needs to pitch in, individually, locally, nationally, internationally, regardless of race color or creed ─ since positive action is important and race color and creed are not.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Cool... so how about answering my question?

How can faith be a reliable source of truth when I can have faith that 2+2=5 and you can have faith that 2+2=9 and in reality 2+2+4?

I can offer an observation, that in the reality I have come to consider, that 2 plus 2 has much, much more than one answer of 4 and even the number 4 has multiple implications/meanings.

So what is reliable truth? What if this life is the illusion?

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I agree with you about the problem.

My own view is that everyone needs to pitch in, individually, locally, nationally, internationally, regardless of race color or creed ─ since positive action is important and race color and creed are not.

That is indeed the path humanity needs to consider and pursue.

Regards Tony

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
People have abandoned religion for many reasons. Although materialism may likely be the main one, the wars and hatred between religions I believe comes a very close second or equal first.

The egotistical need to feel superior and the only custodian of truth, has been the cause of so much war and bloodshed throughout human history when the very purpose of religion has always been to love and respect one another.

All Faiths teach virtues and to love all. There is no superior religion just like there is no superior race or nationality. Closed mindedness has led each religion to deny the truth in the others leading to conflict and prejudice and now turning people away from religion.

Just like the light of truth shone in Jesus, so too did it shine brightly in Buddha, Krishna, Muhammad and Baha’u’llah. There is no need to lower Buddha or Muhammad in order to exalt Christ or Moses. They are all equal Universal Educators Who’s purpose was to spiritually educate us and teach us virtues.

Just belief alone does not guarantee salvation. We must also live a virtuous life loving all as it is the law of all Faiths. Christ for example dismissed the notion of being saved just by being a believer. Obedience He states below is also required and the commandment He gave was to love one another.

The religions of the world are equal brothers and sisters - all one human family.

Matthew ch7 21-23

21“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
[

Thank you for sharing your views. I appreciate hearing or reading your thoughts. I believe all organized religions are false self-effort and self-exalting endeavors and a distraction from knowing and having a relationship with the eternal Creator. I believe Jesus will save all who belong to Him if all races, tribes, and nations, not any one religion.

That’s conditional on fulfilling these requirements of Christ.

Matthew 7. 21-23

21“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

QuestioningMind

I can offer an observation, that in the reality I have come to consider, that 2 plus 2 has much, much more than one answer of 4 and even the number 4 has multiple implications/meanings.

So what is reliable truth? What if this life is the illusion?

Regards Tony

Really? So if there is no 'truth' what exactly is 'faith' supposed to help humanity with?

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Really? So if there is no 'truth' what exactly is 'faith' supposed to help humanity with?

Truth is relative to all of us, it becomes relevant to our chosen frames of references.

Faith shows us out true reality and our true potential. We have an outstanding capacity of mind, which is undeveloped in this matrix.

We are able to begin our training here.

Regards Tony

firedragon

Veteran Member
Did I say that? I was simply stating that you had pointed that fact out. That's all.

Yes I did. Thus, that is why we don't know how the future will go. in order to make a prediction, we must have a statistical model, not just a belief. Hope you understand.

QuestioningMind

Truth is relative to all of us, it becomes relevant to our chosen frames of references.

Faith shows us out true reality and our true potential. We have an outstanding capacity of mind, which is undeveloped in this matrix.

We are able to begin our training here.

Regards Tony

Why does it feel as if you're avoiding answering me directly? How exactly does me having faith that the 'true reality is 2+2=5 and you having faith that the 'true reality' is 2+2=9 going to 'help humanity' in any way?

It seems to me that what would help humanity the most at this point in time is if we could find more ways in which we can agree on a common reality, instead of arguing about whether or not serious problems we face like climate change are even real. We're on the verge of making this planet uninhabitable for humanity in the near future, mostly because we've become a society where a person's 'faith' that the danger isn't real is viewed by far too many as being just as legitimate as the verifiable evidence. We're doomed if we continue to think that everyone can have their own 'truth' about real-world issues. Mathematics fails to be a useful tool once we decide 2+2= whatever anyone has faith that it equals.

idea

Question Everything
I had another thought. From a faith based position, maybe God's plan, is not our plans.
;)

Maybe independent free thinkers need to find a balance?

We indeed have to consider many things.

Regards Tony

God's diverse "creation" filled with independent free-thinkers surrounds us all.

Nature is non-conformist. Every person, tree, leaf, unique. Men like conformity, control, mass-produced idental parts. Not nature, not God's creation :).

Not my plan, not my will - let go of will, let go of plans, live in the present, enjoy now.