• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No regrets?

Vee

Premium Member
Is it really possible to live with no regrets?
I know people who say that they don't regret anything, that they would do it all over again because their mistakes made them grow and learn, etc. I don't want to invalidate their point of view because it's personal, but for me that's very hard to believe.
I have plenty of regrets. There are tons of things I wish I could have done differently. I made stupid mistakes that could have easily been avoided if I had better information. I sometimes treated people unfairly due to poor judgment and hurt them. I could have taken advantage of opportunities much better instead of wasting them if I had had more maturity, etc. So, even if I recognize that all those things helped me grow and hopefully become a better person, I still wish I could go back in time and change all that so I could get a better outcome, for me and for others.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
Regrets, loads of them. But I can't do a dang thing about them...However I am at a point in life when I seem to be discovering I have lot more than I would have imagined, but yet I am to old to change any of them...some, I have come to accept that I did what I thought was right at the time based on the information I had to work with...some i have accepted as just plain stupid or based on the thought "I have time"..those......I have to live with

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I know people who say that they don't regret anything, that they would do it all over again because their mistakes made them grow and learn, etc. I don't want to invalidate their point of view because it's personal, but for me that's very hard to believe.
I have plenty of regrets. There are tons of things I wish I could have done differently. I made stupid mistakes that could have easily been avoided if I had better information. I sometimes treated people unfairly due to poor judgment and hurt them. I could have taken advantage of opportunities much better instead of wasting them if I had had more maturity, etc. So, even if I recognize that all those things helped me grow and hopefully become a better person, I still wish I could go back in time and change all that so I could get a better outcome, for me and for others.

You lacked the information at the time of making the decision. How could you, or how could you expect yourself to have done differently at the time?

Regretting what happened in the past doesn't benefit you. Learning from mistakes so you can make better choices in the future does.
But, how could you have learned from those mistakes if you hadn't made them? :shrug:

The only thing I would regret is having made a mistake, not learning from it.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I don't think I have many. Most my childhood has been in and out of the hospital. I regret not having enough information and mental health help to get through college and manage the issues I had when I was living with my parent.

I'd probably have better opportunities if not for health conditions but things I've done apart from that, I don't know. The only few big decisions I made (since I can't work at the moment) is getting a new place which I don't regret doing. I wouldn't say I regret meeting my friend I had years ago. If his situation wasn't dangerous to my mental health etc and if he were in a different less life threatening environment, we would still be friends till this day.

nPeace

Veteran Member
You sound like me.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I regret the times that I have hurt others, through carelessness or misplaced intent

I also regret the times that I did not hurt others, even though they clearly deserved it and my intent was there, but did not...

There's a handful of things I would if I could have chosen differently...but each one would have been a seismic shift in the course of my life, and nothing that followed would have been remotely like my life currently: I would not be me today, without those choices I regret today...

Vee

Premium Member
I don't think I have many. Most my childhood has been in and out of the hospital. I regret not having enough information and mental health help to get through college and manage the issues I had when I was living with my parent.

I'd probably have better opportunities if not for health conditions but things I've done apart from that, I don't know. The only few big decisions I made (since I can't work at the moment) is getting a new place which I don't regret doing. I wouldn't say I regret meeting my friend I had years ago. If his situation wasn't dangerous to my mental health etc and if he were in a different less life threatening environment, we would still be friends till this day.

That must have been really hard, specially at such a young age. I admire your courage.
Hope things are better for you now.
In many ways it's harder to deal with mental issues than with physical problems that are so much easier to see and understand.
Take care.

Eyes to See

I believe that anyone who says they have "no regrets" are a liar. I have heard many people say it. Now I can understand how some may say it in regards to the fact that they accept that they have learned from their past mistakes and have tried to be better people because of it, that is respectable. But I don't think that is the same as having no regrets for stupid things done.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Is anyone really silly enough - or arrogant enough - to claim a life with no regrets is possible? Surely not.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Regrets, loads of them. But I can't do a dang thing about them...However I am at a point in life when I seem to be discovering I have lot more than I would have imagined, but yet I am to old to change any of them...some, I have come to accept that I did what I thought was right at the time based on the information I had to work with...some i have accepted as just plain stupid or based on the thought "I have time"..those......I have to live with
My list of remembered self idiocies grows, and grows. If only I had more self sensibles to balance them out, but....... Oh well.
Is this the same condition for most of us? :)

PureX

Veteran Member
Perhaps it's not so much that one does not have regrets, as that they simply don't give them much credence. After all, there really isn't much that can be done about them. We were who we were, and we did what we did as a result. There isn't any changing that, so there isn't much point in contemplating it.

Even now, I'm bound to be making mistakes that I could regret later on. But if I can't see them, then I can't beat myself up for not avoiding them. There just isn't much I can do about it but hope the damage isn't catastrophic. Even then, sooner or later, it will be, and I will die.

So be it. I'll be making room for someone else to screw up and then they can suffer the consequences. :)

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
My list of remembered self idiocies grows, and grows. If only I had more self sensibles to balance them out, but....... Oh well.

Likely, the older you get

exchemist

Veteran Member
Yes, I think it is, at least for a certain class of personality, including mine. Anyone with a perfectionist streak is likely to focus on faults and errors.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
That must have been really hard, specially at such a young age. I admire your courage.
Hope things are better for you now.
In many ways it's harder to deal with mental issues than with physical problems that are so much easier to see and understand.
Take care.

Thank you. It's been little over ten years since I moved. Things are better since my parent has "became wiser."

Reactions: Vee

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Regret is a human emotion so it would be very odd if someone never felt it.

I certainly have my share. And I've learned. But still, I feel the emotion from time-to-time.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
It's hard for me to imagine that anyone who has lived life without regrets has lived their lives to the fullest.

Reactions: Vee

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member

I feel elements of your life echo my own. I feel for yah.