• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No reason for our existence

The Transcended Omniverse

If life isn't perfect and is not an eternal blissful life of no suffering and misery, then there is no reason for our existence. There is no reason to live for one another, love one another, help one another, and to cherish this life. If this is the one and only life we will ever have, then that is no reason at all to live it, make the best of it, and contribute to society/make the world a better place.

If all we are is just these life forms (biological organisms) that are just here for a short time only to forever cease to exist when we die, then I just see no reason to be born. We are all better off taking ourselves out of this life right here and now. If I had the choice, I would choose to have never been born if there is no eternal blissful afterlife for me.

Many others do think that there is every reason to live life and cherish it/treasure it even if it is the one and only life we will ever have. But I don't. That is no reason for me. My only reason is a perfect life. A life in which I can live forever, don't have to worry about ceasing to exist, and don't have to worry about any suffering and depression in my life.

An eternal blissful life is all I care about, is the only thing that brings joy and meaning to my life, and is my only reason for being here. It is just the absolute most horrible thing for me to forever cease to exist when I die and there is no way I would ever want to be part of such a life.

I don't understand how people can act as though it is a good thing that this is the one and only life we have. It might be for those fortunate enough to live a full meaningful life. But what about those who are unfortunate who only life for a few days and die of agonizing pain and misery?

They hardly got anything out of life. The only reason why we are able to live full meaningful lives is because we are fortunate. That is all. We are just lucky that we are the ones to survive. The fact that this entire life is run by sheer luck of things is what makes it meaningless.

Finally, I personally find that a time limit on this Earth restricts my freedom and makes me miserable. If such a time limit were removed and I could live forever and be forever happy, then I would be completely free. I would finally be free to live, have joy, and enjoy my life all I want for all eternity with no restrictions making me miserable and taking away the joy and meaning in my life.

I am only here to get what I want in life. That is, an eternal blissful life. If I don't get that, then I am not even going to bother living for anyone or anything else. I will just give up on life completely.

Last edited:

How many times are you going to post the same thread? If the dozens of replies in the other thread haven't cleared it up for you by now, another thread isn't going to make a difference. Keep it between you and your therapist.
My life isn't perfect. It is not an eternal blissful life. That is all that matters to me. This is all I came here for. Since nothing else matters to me, then even therapy is useless and I am going to just give up on my family and everything else.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
My life isn't perfect. It is not an eternal blissful life. That is all that matters to me. This is all I came here for. Since nothing else matters to me, then even therapy is useless and I am going to just give up on my family and everything else.
Good luck then. *Wave* In the mean time, maybe stick to one thread instead of making duplicate threads.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
As I have said before, I believe an afterlife belief is certainly subjectively better for me. I haven't heard a satisfying argument from those that prefer no afterlife. But I believe in the afterlife for objective reasons (my study of the so-called 'paranormal').

Now, if my objective study lead me to believe in no afterlife, then I suppose I could find ways to make the best of it. I would not deny the facts. I think I would develop a more existentialist and depressing view of life than I now have.

I am going to keep an eye on this thread because I am interested to hear why some people think an afterlife is undesirable, and secondly listen to how people who think an afterlife is desirable (but don't believe in its existence) cope with the issue.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
If life isn't perfect and is not an eternal blissful life of no suffering and misery, then there is no reason for our existence. There is no reason to live for one another, love one another, help one another, and to cherish this life. If this is the one and only life we will ever have, then that is no reason at all to live it, make the best of it, and contribute to society/make the world a better place.

If all we are is just these life forms (biological organisms) that are just here for a short time only to forever cease to exist when we die, then I just see no reason to be born. We are all better off taking ourselves out of this life right here and now. If I had the choice, I would choose to have never been born if there is no eternal blissful afterlife for me.

Many others do think that there is every reason to live life and cherish it/treasure it even if it is the one and only life we will ever have. But I don't. That is no reason for me. My only reason is a perfect life. A life in which I can live forever, don't have to worry about ceasing to exist, and don't have to worry about any suffering and depression in my life.

An eternal blissful life is all I care about, is the only thing that brings joy and meaning to my life, and is my only reason for being here. It is just the absolute most horrible thing for me to forever cease to exist when I die and there is no way I would ever want to be part of such a life.

I don't understand how people can act as though it is a good thing that this is the one and only life we have. It might be for those fortunate enough to live a full meaningful life. But what about those who are unfortunate who only life for a few days and die of agonizing pain and misery?

They hardly got anything out of life. The only reason why we are able to live full meaningful lives is because we are fortunate. That is all. We are just lucky that we are the ones to survive. The fact that this entire life is run by sheer luck of things is what makes it meaningless.

If you need to vent, vent. If having a blissful outlook in the future life helps you, than that's good. If you'd like others to reply, looking for an afterlife in and of itself doesn't work for me. I found that every time I look to the future, something happens. So the best I can do is look to toward. I don't plan things a half a week ahead for this reason. So, even if everything ends and we don't live forever, that's actually pretty well meaning to me personally. The issue I have is hurting the people I love. So, my purpose is this life.

I don't understand how living for the future helps a person today when we don't know what will happen the next day. People say "we may die the next hour; we don't know" then turn around and say "heaven exists." It's a contradiction. If we don't know what will happen the next hour, why and how would we know anything about after we die and eternity.

So, go with what feels right for you. Vent if need. be. Nothing wrong with that.

Skwim

Veteran Member
The reason for our existence: GOD WAS BORED

6153660.jpg

I personally find that a time limit on this Earth restricts my freedom and makes me miserable. If such a time limit were removed and I could live forever and be forever happy, then I would be completely free. I would finally be free to live, have joy, and enjoy my life all I want for all eternity with no restrictions making me miserable and taking away the joy and meaning in my life.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
The fact that this entire life is run by sheer luck of things is what makes it meaningless.
Did you believe as such when you were a child, or were you like me and just want to go out and play with your friends?

Onyx

Premium Member
I can see that this is a serious issue for you now. You seem to be caught within what is known as a "negative-feedback loop".

You don't know that you will cease to exist forever. For now, take some comfort in the fact that you got here to begin with.

But I think something else is really going on. You are talking like a suicidal person, and you should seek professional help. Nobody here can help you with your problems.

I am only here to get what I want in life. That is, an eternal blissful life. If I don't get that, then I am not even going to bother living for anyone or anything else. I will just give up on life completely.

Kartari

Hey Matt,

Finally, I personally find that a time limit on this Earth restricts my freedom and makes me miserable. If such a time limit were removed and I could live forever and be forever happy, then I would be completely free. I would finally be free to live, have joy, and enjoy my life all I want for all eternity with no restrictions making me miserable and taking away the joy and meaning in my life.

Seriously, why not stick around and try to be open to new experiences in life? If we all die anyway, why not stick around a few or several decades and see if there isn't more to life in spite of the brevity of time we have here? It really does fly by in the blink of an eye anyway, may as well stick around and see what is to be seen if you ask me.

And honestly, though you probably cannot see this now as you sound very depressed, I know for a fact that you can be happier merely by shifting your mind and attention. Why not stick around and find out? What do you have to lose by staying?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I personally find that a time limit on this Earth restricts my freedom and makes me miserable. If such a time limit were removed and I could live forever and be forever happy, then I would be completely free. I would finally be free to live, have joy, and enjoy my life all I want for all eternity with no restrictions making me miserable and taking away the joy and meaning in my life.
Look at how old those atoms that make up your very being. Your not so young as you think you are.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Your atoms won't mind.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I can see that this is a serious issue for you now. You seem to be caught within what is known as a "negative-feedback loop".

You don't know that you will cease to exist forever. For now, take some comfort in the fact that you got here to begin with.

But I think something else is really going on. You are talking like a suicidal person, and you should seek professional help. Nobody here can help you with your problems.
Very much my take on the whole thing. Such an unnecessary tragedy, really, all because of unrealistic expectations.

@MattMVS7 I don't have the answer for you, but I did come up with this interesting twist on an old saying not too long ago. I was walking around my (newly inherited) gardens when it hit me.

"No one ever promised me a rose garden. Now I have many."

This life is what you make it, Matt. Take a chance and make the best of what you have been handed. You just might surprise yourself with the quality of fulfillment you will meet on the long and rocky road ahead.