• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No one should believe in evolution!

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I blame Creationists who have tried to weaken evolution and put it into a position of a belief, such as how they came up the silly and absurd term "evolutionist."
FYI: Stephen Jay Gould often used the word “evolutionist” in his essays. He used it in the sense of “a scientist who studies evolution.”

Apologes

This is not a normal understanding of the word “believe.” It’s much more common to use the word to just mean “accept as true.”

Pretty much. People tend to equote belief in general with a very particular sort called blind faith. There is nothing wrong with former (it's inevitable really) but the latter is where issues arise.

For instance, one common definition of “knowledge” is “justified true belief.”

That understanding of knowledge has been proven wrong way back in 1963. Something else is needed to make for knowledge.

Jumi

FYI: Stephen Jay Gould often used the word “evolutionist” in his essays. He used it in the sense of “a scientist who studies evolution.”
His usage is too different from how these so-called creationists use it. They use the word to convince themselves that evolution is merely another competing religion and anyone who thinks it's true is an evolutionist.

Skwim

Veteran Member
His usage is too different from how these so-called creationists use it. They use the word to convince themselves that evolution is merely another competing religion and anyone who thinks it's true is an evolutionist.
Well, they can do what they want with it, but those of us who accept evolution and are familiar with both sides of the issue don't give creationists much, if any, respect for their ideas anyway, so it really doesn't matter.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I am of the firm opinion that no one should ever believe in evolution. Belief is based of placing faith in something. Evolution is a scientific theory. No should ever accept a scientific theory by faith. One can believe in many things properly, such as the innate value of people, or that your favorite sports team is the greatest. But scientific theories aren’t like those. Scientific theories can be accepted as correct, or assented to, or tested and verified, or a host of other empirical and scientific actions. But to believe in a scientific theory is an oxymoron.

Whenever I encounter someone that says they believe in evolution I roll my eyes metaphorically and think to myself that here is someone that lacks a genuine understanding of evolution and science.

I will now don my asbestos suit and await comments.

Scientific theory : A well substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world, based on a body of facts that have been repeatedly confirmed through observation and experiment.
Such fact supported theories are not "guesses" but reliable accounts of the real world.

Hope that helps

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Having looked at the evidence over the years, I believe things can change given time, so while I don't believe in the Darwinian mechanics of evolution, I believe things can change given time. For example, we can breed a species of cat that has a fair chance of having green eyes. This, of course, proves that things can change given time.
Well, okie dokie, then. :rolleyes:

ecco

Veteran Member
I am of the firm opinion that no one should ever believe in evolution.
You are entitled to your opinion.
Belief is based of placing faith in something.
OK
Evolution is a scientific theory.
Right again
No should ever accept a scientific theory by faith.
That depends on the basis of the faith and on the definition of faith used.
faith
fāTH/
noun
complete trust or confidence in someone or something.
"this restores one's faith in politicians"
synonyms: trust, belief, confidence, conviction; More
I would quibble with the word "complete". However, I have trust and confidence and even conviction that thousands of scientists know what they are doing. Thousands of scientists, from many different branches of science all conclude that ToE is valid.

...Scientific theories can be accepted as correct, or assented to, or tested and verified, or a host of other empirical and scientific actions.
Scientific theories are not accepted as correct until they are tested and verified.

But to believe in a scientific theory is an oxymoron.
Please explain

Whenever I encounter someone that says they believe in evolution I roll my eyes metaphorically and think to myself that here is someone that lacks a genuine understanding of evolution and science.

The only reason to disbelieve ToE is that it contradicts other theories for the existence of humans. Since you disbelieve ToE, could you share what your competing theory is based on.

ecco

Veteran Member
Therefore, it can actually be of some value to head off such mischief by using the term "accept" in lieu of "belief".
Belief and Faith are perfectly good words when it comes to science or anything else.

The OP, like many creationists, intentionally ignore dictionary definitions just as they ignore everything that does not further their silly agendas.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
The OP, like many creationists, intentionally ignore dictionary definitions just as they ignore everything that does not further their silly agendas.
I think you and Skwim completely misread the OP.

He's saying 'You shouldn't believe in evolution'.

Because believe implies a choice, and to most people, evolution is a fact, not something you can choose to believe.

'You shouldn't believe in evolution, you should know,' is the message implied.

You need to be more perceptive.

Last edited:

ecco

Veteran Member
You mean, scientists never believed these were accurate?:

Superseded scientific theories - Wikipedia

Many of those "Superseded scientific theories" were never scientific theories in the modern sense of the word:

ecco

Veteran Member
I think you and Skwim completely misread the OP.

He's saying 'You shouldn't believe in evolution'.

Because believe implies a choice, and to most people, evolution is a fact, not something you can choose to believe.

'You shouldn't believe in evolution, you should know,' is the message implied.

You need to be more perceptive.
Are you serious?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I am of the firm opinion that no one should ever believe in evolution. Belief is based of placing faith in something. Evolution is a scientific theory. No should ever accept a scientific theory by faith. One can believe in many things properly, such as the innate value of people, or that your favorite sports team is the greatest. But scientific theories aren’t like those. Scientific theories can be accepted as correct, or assented to, or tested and verified, or a host of other empirical and scientific actions. But to believe in a scientific theory is an oxymoron.

I will now don my asbestos suit and await comments.

Assertion based on mythology.

Is this a joke thread?!?!?!

. . . or number 10,987 creationist nonsense thread.

Last edited:

Jumi

Well, yeah? Because that's what he's saying. He might compare it to someone saying 'I believe in the moon'. No-one 'believes in' the moon, as if it's a point of controversy.
Thank you for pointing it out that there is such a way to read the OP. But then I will have to disagree with it also, people believe the moon is there or that it exists. It's just rare to have people who don't believe it does....

Jumi

Well, they can do what they want with it, but those of us who accept evolution and are familiar with both sides of the issue don't give creationists much, if any, respect for their ideas anyway, so it really doesn't matter..
Well if it's a debate, I don't feel wrong in pointing out that I believe it's dishonest. Of course they are a small, but rich group who promote these ideas.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
Thank you for pointing it out that there is such a way to read the OP. But then I will have to disagree with it also, people believe the moon is there or that it exists. It's just rare to have people who don't believe it does....
Look what he said:

Yes! You don’t believe in it, you accept the validity of it. Thank you.
People just totally missed the thrust of the OP.

Last edited:

Jesster

Friendly skeptic
Premium Member
Look what he said:

People just totally missed the thrust of the OP.
Plenty of people got the idea. The OP is just using a nonstandard form of "belief". When people say they believe in a scientific theory, that's not what they mean. It's a strawman.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
Plenty of people got the idea. The OP is just using a nonstandard form of "belief". When people say they believe in a scientific theory, that's not what they mean. It's a strawman.
I'm not bothered about whether the argument works, I'm pointing out to Jumi, Skwim and others who managed to completely miss the point.

Last edited: