• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No nighttime?

Jeremiah Ames

In the creation story of Genesis 1-3, we discover what God is creating. We find that God made the sun and moon on the 4th day, yet there was evening and morning on the first 3 days. How can we experience evening and morning without a sun? Also, there is no mention of nighttime anywhere in those 3 chapters. This just dawned on me yesterday, even though I read these verses many times before. I guess my mind just assumed there would be nighttime since there were days. Yet, we must be careful when we let our minds assume what is not there. Also, in my mind, the Bible is perfect in every detail, therefore, if nighttime is not mentioned, then there must be no nighttime, and there is a reason.

Ok, so there was no nighttime associated with this story. To carry this reasoning further, there was no midday periods either. Only evenings and mornings for the entire story. My questions opened the door for greater understanding, because they were answered by the Lord.

I could come up with many more questions involving this story, but this is enough for this thread.

My question now: Do you question what you read in the Bible?

And if so, do you get answers? And if so, where do the answers come from?

Bonus: Why is there no nighttime in the creation story?

Jeremiah Ames

Two things: a. Jewish understanding of the word "Erev" which you take to mean only evening is that it includes all of the nighttime, while "Boker", morning, in this context, means all of the daytime.
b. Moreover, I don't know what version of the Bible you're using, but the Hebrew word for night "Laila" is mentioned 4 times in the first chapter of Genesis.
Very nice.
Thanks for your assistance.

my version has night. As in: God separated the day and night. And God called the darkness night.

My problem was just that the days (6 of them I believe) only includes evening and morning.

Good-Ole-Rebel

In the creation story of Genesis 1-3, we discover what God is creating. We find that God made the sun and moon on the 4th day, yet there was evening and morning on the first 3 days. How can we experience evening and morning without a sun? Also, there is no mention of nighttime anywhere in those 3 chapters. This just dawned on me yesterday, even though I read these verses many times before. I guess my mind just assumed there would be nighttime since there were days. Yet, we must be careful when we let our minds assume what is not there. Also, in my mind, the Bible is perfect in every detail, therefore, if nighttime is not mentioned, then there must be no nighttime, and there is a reason.

Ok, so there was no nighttime associated with this story. To carry this reasoning further, there was no midday periods either. Only evenings and mornings for the entire story. My questions opened the door for greater understanding, because they were answered by the Lord.

I could come up with many more questions involving this story, but this is enough for this thread.

My question now: Do you question what you read in the Bible?

And if so, do you get answers? And if so, where do the answers come from?

Bonus: Why is there no nighttime in the creation story?

Though the sun was not created until the fourth day, light was brought in on the first day which divided into day and night. (Gen. 1:3-5) That light would have been the light from God Himself. The sun would later replace the light of God.

I always will have questions as I read the Bible. Not questions of doubt. Just questions of things I don't yet know.

Good-Ole-Rebel