• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No need to hate

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Although We do not have same faith as another human being, does not mean that we should hate or dislike other people or their belief. The best way to live is to have peace of mind and free us from hatred toward other people or their beliefs.
Hatred never leads to anything good neither for ourselves nor others.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
"But it's not hate. We're doing this out of love." (huge sigh)

Who gets to decide what is or isn't hate?
When speech is harmfull and hurtfull toward a person, a group or a religion we can see it as hate. But yes hate comes in many ways and different people see it differently. it it is not just one thing.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
And there is a world of difference between a hater and a psychopath. A hater may change with time and education; a psychopath may never change.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
When speech is harmfull and hurtfull toward a person, a group or a religion we can see it as hate. But yes hate comes in many ways and different people see it differently. it it is not just one thing.

So is homophobia hate, in your view? Or is it ignorance? Or a combination of both?
What about when you say you simple don't believe in something, and then you get accused of hate? (I've had this happen to me, for saying I didn't believe in Jesus.)

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
So is homophobia hate, in your view? Or is it ignorance? Or a combination of both?
What about when you say you simple don't believe in something, and then you get accused of hate? (I've had this happen to me, for saying I didn't believe in Jesus.)

In my experience, it’s ignorance that breeds hatred.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Homophobia is not hate, it is being afraid of what one does not know or understad about homosexual people. But yes there can be those who feel hate on that subject too.
If you do not belive in something but speak harmfull toward those who belive that can be seen as hate. But disbelief in it self is not hate no.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Homophobia is not hate, it is being afraid of what one does not know or understad about homosexual people. But yes there can be those who feel hate on that subject too.
If you do not belive in something but speak harmfull toward those who belive that can be seen as hate. But disbelief in it self is not hate no.

I see actions representing true feelings. So subtle discrimination, for example, is hate, to a degree. I see hate as coming in degrees, a range. That depends on what degree you're willing to act on it. The situation is New Zealand, on a scale of 1 to 10, I'd consider an 11. But some kid on a playground who subtly condones a classmate's racial joke by not standing up to it, because the other kid is bigger, I'd put that at a 1. Physical attacks on a known homosexual is a 10. Speaking out against the action of homosexuality because your scripture condemns it is only a 7 or so. So to me it varies by intensity, but it also varies by which person is doing the defining. You might well give all these specific circumstances a different number than I just did.

Last edited:

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Although We do not have same faith as another human being, does not mean that we should hate or dislike other people or their belief. The best way to live is to have peace of mind and free us from hatred toward other people or their beliefs.
I agree.... but.

But what if the other human’s faith is a message of hate? What if it’s “all X people deserve to die”?

The Christians like to say “Hate the sin, not the sinner”. But it’s often hard to separate a person from their beliefs. If a person believes I or my friends should burn to death, I believe they aren’t a very good person. Maybe I don’t hate them, but if they act upon those beliefs it’s hard to remain non-emotional.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member

There is an extremely widespread faith in the world today, who's scripture repeatedly encourages its adherents to be prejudiced and intolerant of everyone not in the faith. This faith's scripture repeats these messages of prejudice and intolerance over 500 times. The hate and prejudice and intolerance BEGINS with the scripture of this faith.

What should we do? Should we pretend that this is not the case? How should we deal with people whose faith instructs them to be literally prejudiced and intolerant of us?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I agree.... but.

But what if the other human’s faith is a message of hate? What if it’s “all X people deserve to die”?

The Christians like to say “Hate the sin, not the sinner”. But it’s often hard to separate a person from their beliefs. If a person believes I or my friends should burn to death, I believe they aren’t a very good person. Maybe I don’t hate them, but if they act upon those beliefs it’s hard to remain non-emotional.
Instead of hate, then show them compassion and lead them toward no hate

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
There is an extremely widespread faith in the world today, who's scripture repeatedly encourages its adherents to be prejudiced and intolerant of everyone not in the faith. This faith's scripture repeats these messages of prejudice and intolerance over 500 times. The hate and prejudice and intolerance BEGINS with the scripture of this faith.

What should we do? Should we pretend that this is not the case? How should we deal with people whose faith instructs them to be literally prejudiced and intolerant of us?
Treat them with respect and show them how one should live rightroues, without calling them names and say hatefull words toward them

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member

Although I agree with you to a certain extent there are some pretty nasty texts towards the nonbeliever in certain religious books,other than that I wouldn't argue.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

I personally love the believer. I hate the belief.

Ciao

- viole

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Although I agree with you to a certain extent there are some pretty nasty texts towards the nonbeliever in certain religious books,other than that I wouldn't argue.
I do not support the parts where non belivers ae getiing slandered within some religious texts, And ofcourse i can not answer for every text ever written in every religious books, but my thought is that where there is evil writings within holy books, human hand and mind can have a cause for this. It might be that some human being has written this thing out of his/her own thoughs and not from what the teacher (God) actually did mean. But i can not prove that, so do not take this post as a solid evidence for why some words in holy books are like that. It is only my thought about it